Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 02:44 PM

27 posts, read 23,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachtaylor View Post
If you look at the GreatSchools listing for Oak Hill, it's a 6/10 overall but if you dig deeper on the demographics, scores are 4/10 for low-income students and 10/10 for not low-income. Same gap for Hispanic students vs. white/Asian. My kid's school is similar. Personally, I like that my kid is getting to know people who are different from him. I think a tour of Oak Hill is the best way to get perspective on whether it's right for you.
Thanks so much! I understand what you are saying. I will definitely take a tour. I didn't think I would even consider a Title 1 School but I am contemplating it now. This school seems to be different than most schools in Houston with the Title 1; I know I wouldn't want to put my child in one of the Houston schools. The area around Oak Hill has a lot of high dollar homes and it seems like most of them have their children in private schools and with that I did more digging into Oak Hill and I assume they are not wanting their children in Title 1 schools. Then again the reviews are pretty good from parents of the school. Unfortunately I do not know anyone whose kids attend the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
The families that we have known whose kids go to Oak Hill Elementary seem happy. If you decide that it isn't a good fit, I would look at Patton Elementary since it is pretty much on the way to St. David's South. We know a lot of Patton families and I don't know any who aren't happy with their school. Also, the Patton families that I have met are some of the nicest, most down to earth people I've met since moving to Austin.
Thank you, very valuable information. I will also look at Patton Elementary. Really appreciate your feedback!

Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Sounds like Foundations Communities may have a complex that tracks to Oak Hill, frankly I'd be thrilled. Foundation Communities is excellently run and provides a LOT of support to their families, which makes ALL the difference! My local ES is a Title I school and the teachers can tell the difference in which housing development kids come from because one provides so much support to the students and their families and those kids do better in school than others in affordable housing who have less support.

Anyway, Oak Hill has a good rep, visit the school and talk to the staff and people in the PTA before making a decision.

https://www.austinisd.org/schools/oakhill
The overview notes "The school has been recognized as one of the highest achieving in the state academically compared to peer campuses with similar demographics. Oak Hill has an active PTA and receives strong support from local businesses and other partners."

Here is the school website:
Oak Hill Elementary

They are giving tours to the prospective families right now! Go and check it out.
Thank you, it looks like the next tour is next month, will be going.

You have provided some valuable information with the Foundation Communities. How would I be able to find out if indeed they track to Oak Hill?

Old 10-22-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Umm . . . look again! Oak Hill has both one way dual language and two-way dual language!
Yes that is what I read also.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:53 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,088,601 times
Quote:
Only if you apply to the program! Entrance can be competitive, no one is placed in dual language who doesn't want it.
That's interesting! In HISD there is a K-8 dual language school (Wharton) that is a zoned school. All students in the school have to do dual language, but if you don't want to do dual language theyll let you transfer elsewhere.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,736,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn001 View Post
Thank you, it looks like the next tour is next month, will be going.

You have provided some valuable information with the Foundation Communities. How would I be able to find out if indeed they track to Oak Hill?
https://www.austinisd.org/schools/sara Put in their address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin