Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:58 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,508 times

Advertisements

Any info on the two would be helpful. Teaching philosophies, facilities, students, parent involvement, enrichment programs, arts, etc.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 08:29 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Have you looked at the individual campus web sites? There is a lot of detail there.

Austin Independent School District : Schools

There seems to be little difference to me. Both have highly involved parents and high achieving students. Average family income at Doss is probably a little higher than Hill but both are well above average.

Okay, here's one difference, Doss has a separate web site with lots of detail, Hill does not seem to, I looked and looked at the main page on the AISD site and did not find a link to a separate web site. Most elementary schools have them. Maybe you can find it. Here is the basic AISD site for Hill (yes these are separate links although they look the same):
Austin Independent School District : Schools

Old 10-26-2008, 02:15 PM

99 posts, read 421,745 times
Just a quick note, here is the website for Hill Elementary PTA where you might find some info....
Hill Elementary PTA » HOME

Old 11-22-2008, 03:34 PM

368 posts, read 1,388,382 times
Can only comment on Hill. It is an EXCELLENT school. My son has special needs, and the environment was the best I could have imagined for him. I know several parents that had 1st and 2nd graders at Hill and all of them were in love with Hill

Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,508 times
Thanks for the thoughts.

We rented a place in Doss, but may move to Hill before the fall.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,754 times
I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is still reading it, I wanted to comment that both Doss and Hill have both become severely, severely over-crowded. I can't speak for Doss, but I can tell you from personal experience that the insane over-crowding at Hill has negatively impacted the quality of the education there.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAustinMom View Post
I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is still reading it, I wanted to comment that both Doss and Hill have both become severely, severely over-crowded. I can't speak for Doss, but I can tell you from personal experience that the insane over-crowding at Hill has negatively impacted the quality of the education there.

You really want to get that message out! Hill and Doss (and Murchison, where the crowding is really crazy) are suffering from the loss in the last school bond package.

Try transferring, Gullet is close by and has a similar campus/parent culture to Hill.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:19 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
I'd like to know more about the special ed/adhd support in the area as well, especially at Doss!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,322 times
Default Specific examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAustinMom View Post
Just wondering if you could give specific examples of the ways you feel the quality of the education at Hill has been affected? We are starting there this fall with second and fourth grade students. Had always heard how much parents love Hill but was concerned about the overcrowding issue.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:30 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
We do not/have not attended Hill or Doss, but have had kids at another elementary that developed overcrowding issues (which have since gone away). Honestly, the education was fine the whole time - yes, they put portables out, and pick-up/drop-off are crowded, but I can't say that the kids ever noticed the difference. There seems to be more of a presumption that more kids = worse education, but I don't know that that holds up to scrutiny, especially for these transient crowding conditions (not endemic to the district).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin