Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 02:14 PM

506 posts, read 510,075 times

Advertisements

All those businesses moving in, new businesses opening up, jobs increase...

I remember Austin in the 1980s. Now you see Austin today. It's not just Austin, but also the surrounding cities such as Pflugerville, Round Rock, Buda, Georgetown...

What sparked it? Was it Dell? Was it SXSW? What happened that made Austin so packed?

Old 08-06-2017, 02:42 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Large employers like Dell, UT, the state, etc. certainly helped, but I think the low cost of living (at the time) was probably the biggest factor.

In actuality, the cost of living in the metro area is still pretty low, relatively speaking. Areas close to downtown have become really expensive, but that explains why areas such as Round Rock and Cedar Park are growing so much. Williamson County is growing faster than Travis now. I actually read recently that the population of Williamson County will surpass that of Travis pretty soon, with Round Rock leading the way.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:17 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post

I remember Austin in the 1980s. Now you see Austin today. It's not just Austin, but also the surrounding cities such as Pflugerville, Round Rock, Buda, Georgetown...

What sparked it? Was it Dell? Was it SXSW? What happened that made Austin so packed?
I think it was MCC. It pretty much kicked off the tech boom in austin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/s...01/story3.html

Old 08-06-2017, 03:34 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Austin has been booming pretty much its entire existence, except for a few years here and there where the city might not have registered any growth, but overall, Austin has always been and is in a constant state of boom. They cant build the roads fast enough.

But, only in recent years has Austin come to seem like a big town. I noticed it the most when the skyline changed so dramatically and what seemed like virtually over night. But the people are still friendly here. That hasn't changed. Even the newcomers to the area are friendly. There's still good vibes in the air all over Austin.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:09 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
I wish Austin would work on a streetcar system for it's downtown area. That would make such a big difference.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:42 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post

Dell was the beginning of it. Once it attracted the rich Silicon Valley people to move over here, Austin changed forever.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:53 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
It didn't start with Dell, it started with IBM picking Austin as a manufacturing site for their typewriters! Then MCC and Sematech. Took hard work by JJ "Jake" Pickle our Congressman (district went from Austin to the Gulf back then) and Pike Powers to leverage the assets of the University to attract tech companies. This brought semiconductor fabs and equipment manufacturers, at around the same time, Dell took off.

High quality workers, low cost of land and electricity, tons of networking and effort by many players.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:25 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
The start was IBM. The story that I was always told was that the Chamber of Commerce brought an IBM executive out on Lake Travis and he wasn't expecting something so nice. It happened to be during a high water time and everything was full and green. That convinced the IBM executive to locate IBM in Austin.

MCC was a big catalyst but being chosen by IBM set the "gold standard". At that time, Big Blue could do no wrong so high tech companies followed wherever Big Blue setup. Dell was an aberration of sorts but helped us at least during the PC era.

The natural topography has also helped. Lakeway was a retirement destination since its founding, as was Sun City. We have been attracting retirees from Houston and Dallas ever since. These are big dollar retirees that otherwise would have gone to Colorado or the coast.

SxSW put us on the map as far as a entertainment destination, and F1 has put us on the global map.

All of these specific conditions conspired to cause Austin to boom as it is today. However, IBM set us on the map.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It didn't start with Dell, it started with IBM picking Austin as a manufacturing site for their typewriters! Then MCC and Sematech. Took hard work by JJ "Jake" Pickle our Congressman (district went from Austin to the Gulf back then) and Pike Powers to leverage the assets of the University to attract tech companies. This brought semiconductor fabs and equipment manufacturers, at around the same time, Dell took off.

High quality workers, low cost of land and electricity, tons of networking and effort by many players.
They might have started the ball rolling, but don't feel that Dell is what brought all of the calif geeks and "cool masses" of people from other parts that have flooded the area ever since? I lived in Austin in the 80s and visited often in the early-mid 90s. I didn't feel the changes in Austin until the early 00s, when things started to get expensive and old landmarks started to disappear.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:58 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I think it was MCC. It pretty much kicked off the tech boom in austin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/s...01/story3.html
That was gong to be my answer as well. It came down to Austin and Madison WI as finalist cities, Austin got it, and now Austin is Austin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microe...gy_Corporation

Edit: To be fair, there was some tech already in Austin, which may have helped Austin land MCC, but MSS created a gravitational pull that would not have existed without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin