Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:10 PM

653 posts, read 1,795,649 times

Advertisements

Tax incentives played a huge role, both those offered by the state of Texas and those offered by the city of Austin.
My employer moved me (and several of my co-workers) to Austin, based on Tax breaks.

The Texas leadership would talk about how great of a job they were doing, creating jobs in Texas. Really they were taking jobs from other states, and moving them to Texas. The results I saw in Austin, were NOT to the benefit of the typical Austin resident. It benefited those who wanted to sell property. But those who just wanted to stay put in the house they were already living in, or rented, the impact was to raise their taxes and/or rent. Several were pushed out of the neighborhoods they had lived in, forced to seek out cheaper rent.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:25 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,422,536 times
Good points from everyone. However, I don't think its reasonable to say that it was just one company or one event.

When I lived in Austin in the 70s, I seem to recall that the tech company Tracor (has anyone heard of that?) and Glastron (a pleasure boat manufacturer) were the prominent companies based there.

It was often said that UT graduates loved Austin, but there were no job opportunities to keep them there.

My perception is that locating MCC in Austin was part of the early development of Austin as a tech center. However, there are a lot of "moving parts" in that development. Part of it is being able to attract and/or retain a qualified workforce. That benefited from being able to offer an environment that was attractive to young, recent college graduates. Another part, which might be less appreciated, is being able to attract visionary entrepreneurs that start companies. E.g., Mike Dell and John Mackey, who interestingly are both from Houston originally ... but went to Austin to create Dell and Whole Foods.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:41 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,918,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
Tax incentives played a huge role, both those offered by the state of Texas and those offered by the city of Austin.
My employer moved me (and several of my co-workers) to Austin, based on Tax breaks.

The Texas leadership would talk about how great of a job they were doing, creating jobs in Texas. Really they were taking jobs from other states, and moving them to Texas. The results I saw in Austin, were NOT to the benefit of the typical Austin resident. It benefited those who wanted to sell property. But those who just wanted to stay put in the house they were already living in, or rented, the impact was to raise their taxes and/or rent. Several were pushed out of the neighborhoods they had lived in, forced to seek out cheaper rent.

Yep.. this I got push way the eff out of town. even on a $22 hour salary still hard to pay rent and car/insurance when they keep jacking it up 100+ every 6 months. and ya wages doesnt.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:55 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,141,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yep.. this I got push way the eff out of town. even on a $22 hour salary still hard to pay rent and car/insurance when they keep jacking it up 100+ every 6 months. and ya wages doesnt.
22/hour is very low wages.

To compare

We pay our nanny $20/hour

We pay our daughters chinese tutor 20/hour

We pay admins fresh out of college 22/hour

Amazon will 1) have all kinds of new jobs. They wont necessarily import all 50K 2) causing other employers to have to pay more

Old 09-10-2017, 11:59 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,422,536 times
I recall that some of the press reports mentioned Amazon creating ~50,000 jobs with an average salary of over $100,000.

As big as Austin is now, I think adding that additional level of disposable income would have a transformative effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin