Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:18 AM

361 posts, read 1,167,308 times

Advertisements

Jersey Giant's out in Lakeway has some great thin crust pizza.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:29 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,170,962 times
We finally gave in to all the fuss and tried Via 313 last week. Hated it. Actually not entirely true. 5 of us hated it, but my 14 year old boy loved it, lol.

The best pizza place in all of ATX is Pieous down here in Dripping.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it is not only the highest rated pizza joint in all of ATX on TripAdvisor, it's also the #1 rated restaurant (out of 3,140) in all of Austin, lol.

No, I'm not an owner and unfortunately have no financial stake in their overwhelming success--I'm just a happy/loyal client.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:30 AM

37 posts, read 43,257 times
I'm sure these have already been covered in 5 pages of responses, but for thin crust...

East Side Pies Central, East
Homeslice South
Buffalino Central
Pieous Southwest
Reales North
Little Deli Central

One not thin crust, but oh so good
Via313

All have their own charm, don't think you can go wrong at any of them.

Last edited by jscro; 12-12-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-12-2015, 09:08 AM

390 posts, read 673,614 times
I'm from Chicago as well. The picture you posted looks exactly like the pizza that I grew up eating. Yum!!!! People think that Chicago pizza is just deep dish pizza, but actually, tavern style pizza is more common outside the touristy places. We have a little long time family run establishment in the area that I grew up in that I think has the best pizza in the world. Every town or neighborhood in the Chicagoland area has a similar type place.

Via 313 specializes in Detroit style pizza (thick square pieces), but it is very good and the sauce reminds me of the type that we would get in Chicago. They have "bar" style on their menu, but I've never had it. There are pictures on yelp and it is cut in triangles so that will tell you something!

Pieous in Dripping isn't bad, but it is definitely not the type of pizza you are looking for. It's Neapolitan style. South Side Flying Pizza is pretty good. A lot of people like Home Slice. I think it's okay, but it's definitely New York style, which everyone from Chicago knows is inferior to Chicago style pizza .

If you find some good Chicago style tavern pizza in Austin, please let me know!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,159,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post

If you find some good Chicago style tavern pizza in Austin, please let me know!
I have learned something, Chicago style tavern pizza = (roughly) St. Louis style pizza, which is also found in taverns.

Interesting and makes sense given the similar history of both places post-war. But I will tell you right now that Austin does not share that history, Austin has never had many ethnic Italians, did not have high numbers of WWII GIs who served in Italy, never had the same type of taverns! When I first moved here, I also engaged in a futile search for the type of Italian food I had grown up with (in STL). It is like wandering Chicago looking for a breakfast taco.

There is pizza here that I like (40 North is my favorite) but every new Italian restaurant in the past 20 years has been a disappointment (Olive and June, Juliet, Vaspiao etc). Italian is what I eat when I am in the midwest or NE, just like I never eat Tex-Mex north of Dallas.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:13 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,821,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
i do love the cracker thin crust. Back home we would regularly get it at a chain called monicals. They also square cut the pizza.
As long as it doesn't actually taste like crackers. A good pizza crust should be light and oily, in my opinion.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:18 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
As a New Yorker, I don't like thin crust pizza. I've never eaten Chicago stuff other than deep dish, so can't comment on that. However, as a native New Yorker, the closest to home for me is Reale's in North Austin, hands down. The place was started by New Yorkers and the owner (which I believe is the older gentleman) is from Little Italy, the Bronx. Eating there reminds me of home. Plus, they have the Sicilian (which is a big plus).

Gino's in Round Rock I've heard is pretty good Italian American.

As for continental Italian food, I'll be honest, I don't particularly care for it as much as the American style. I've eaten Italian food in Italy, and it is good, yes. But it's not my thing. I like the hole in wall Italian American restaurants that I found in my borough, where the chicken parm is nicely breaded and they play Sinatra non-stop.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,228,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
Via 313 specializes in Detroit style pizza (thick square pieces), but it is very good and the sauce reminds me of the type that we would get in Chicago. They have "bar" style on their menu, but I've never had it. There are pictures on yelp and it is cut in triangles so that will tell you something!
The website I'm looking at all shows deep dish pizza cut in rectangles.

Via 313

Menu - Via 313

The Bar Style says is is thin crust rounds.

The recently opened near me in SW Austin so I'm sitting at the bar waiting for a to-go order. Looking forward to trying, I ordered the Detroit Style. I will let you know how I like it.

5 PM and this place is packed.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:18 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,228,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The website I'm looking at all shows deep dish pizza cut in rectangles.

Via 313

Menu - Via 313

The Bar Style says is is thin crust rounds.

The recently opened near me in SW Austin so I'm sitting at the bar waiting for a to-go order. Looking forward to trying, I ordered the Detroit Style. I will let you know how I like it.

5 PM and this place is packed.
Update: The Deep Dish was delicious, I will definitely be coming back. This is the first restaurant location opened for Via 313, their two other locations are food trucks. This one is in SW Austin, at the SW corner of the Convict Hill shopping center at W. HWY 290 / 71 and William Cannon Dr. They did a nice job remodeling the old Flores Restaurant and expanded the bar seating for diners. They have a full bar and the Martguerita OTR I ordered was very good.

I noticed too late that the menu also includes thin crust, "Bar Style" pizzas, which I'm looking forward to trying out on my next trip.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:09 PM

83 posts, read 217,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscro View Post
I'm sure these have already been covered in 5 pages of responses, but for thin crust...

East Side Pies Central, East
Homeslice South
Buffalino Central
Pieous Southwest
Reales North
Little Deli Central

One not thin crust, but oh so good
Via313

All have their own charm, don't think you can go wrong at any of them.
Haven't been to Reales or Bufalina, but the rest of the list is on point. Would also like to add Hoboken Pie, located at Red River and 8th St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin