Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 08:54 AM

20 posts, read 34,153 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking to relocate from NJ to Austin. We are trying to figure out the best suburbs to live in.

We have 2 kids in preschool so we want great local preschools along with great elementary, middle and HS
no more than 30 mins from Austin (we will be working from home)
master planned community if possible or newer home around $400k
If possible Jewish community near by or not too far from JCC or synagogues
great scenic area
developed neighborhood and surrounding areas

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:08 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,962,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1404 View Post
Hi, we are looking to relocate from NJ to Austin. We are trying to figure out the best suburbs to live in.

We have 2 kids in preschool so we want great local preschools along with great elementary, middle and HS
great scenic area

Thank you!!
Austin has a very small Jewish population. There is only one JCC and that is in the Northwest Hills area, which is also the most concentrated Jewish population. You won't find anything in that price range in that immediate area nor any master planned communities, although the schools are great.

Probably the closest area that might get you in under budget with strong schools would be Anderson Mill or Great Hills possibly. Still no master planned communities.

I've got to ask why Austin? Since you both work from home, did you pick it out of the hat based on Internet hype? Have you ever been here? It's about the polar opposite culturally from what you're used to. If I were in your position and determined to move to Texas, I'd look at the Dallas or Houston areas.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:12 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,802,290 times
A-tex beat me to it.

Quote:

great scenic area

Thank you!!
- What is your definition of "great" schools?
- The JCC is 6-7 miles NW of downtown area. Older homes nearby are 400K-800K. Very few "new homes nearby.
- master planned "newer homes" are found 12-15 miles further out (from this area).
- what do you mean by "developed area". Most of these don't feature "new homes" and exceed your budget.

Given your budget, the possible need to be NW (because of the location of the JCC) & desire for top drawer schools....I'd be looking at neighborhoods that feed into McNeil, Westwood and Vandergrift High Schools. I think that neighborhoods that feed Anderson & Westlake HSs (which are nearer the JCC) will exceed your budget.

But since you're moving here with pre-schoolers, I would RENT a condo/garden home near the JCC (there are LOTS of them) NEAR STECK and MOPAC. And then spend 6 months to a year looking for the area & homes which makes sense.

& as A-tex asked....why Austin?

Old 08-10-2015, 09:26 AM

124 posts, read 177,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
A-tex beat me to it.

nd MOPAC. And then spend 6 months to a year looking for the area & homes which makes sense.

Because the hype train isn't slowing down.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:37 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,566,779 times
Mesa Park zones to Anderson but the homes are at least 30 years old.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Austin has a very small Jewish population. There is only one JCC and that is in the Northwest Hills area, which is also the most concentrated Jewish population. You won't find anything in that price range in that immediate area nor any master planned communities, although the schools are great.

Probably the closest area that might get you in under budget with strong schools would be Anderson Mill or Great Hills possibly. Still no master planned communities.

I've got to ask why Austin? Since you both work from home, did you pick it out of the hat based on Internet hype? Have you ever been here? It's about the polar opposite culturally from what you're used to. If I were in your position and determined to move to Texas, I'd look at the Dallas or Houston areas.

Great question - I am actually from Houston and went to Southwest Texas. I then moved to NJ and have been here for a long time. My husband is from NJ so this will be a huge transition for him. I dont want to go to Houston because it is not scenic at all. The areas around the master planned communities we saw is not developed and looks somewhat run down. The main reason is.. if we are going to make this drastic change then we should do it together to a new area that is new to both of us. Austin also seems prettier .

So the Jewish thing is not a huge deciding factor but it is just very dif in NJ so it will be harder for my husband. Our one concern is our children being the only Jewish kids in class. I assume Austin is diverse culturally and this is not much of an issue. Houston is a bit more "bible belt" feeling and that is what we keep reading. Thoughts?

We are also moving to save money as houses in NJ are much more expensive for less house.

Would love honest opinions! Thanks!

Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
A-tex beat me to it.

- What is your definition of "great" schools?
- The JCC is 6-7 miles NW of downtown area. Older homes nearby are 400K-800K. Very few "new homes nearby.
- master planned "newer homes" are found 12-15 miles further out (from this area).
- what do you mean by "developed area". Most of these don't feature "new homes" and exceed your budget.

Given your budget, the possible need to be NW (because of the location of the JCC) & desire for top drawer schools....I'd be looking at neighborhoods that feed into McNeil, Westwood and Vandergrift High Schools. I think that neighborhoods that feed Anderson & Westlake HSs (which are nearer the JCC) will exceed your budget.

But since you're moving here with pre-schoolers, I would RENT a condo/garden home near the JCC (there are LOTS of them) NEAR STECK and MOPAC. And then spend 6 months to a year looking for the area & homes which makes sense.

just repeating what i just posted in response to A-tex -
Great question - I am actually from Houston and went to Southwest Texas. I then moved to NJ and have been here for a long time. My husband is from NJ so this will be a huge transition for him. I dont want to go to Houston because it is not scenic at all. The areas around the master planned communities we saw is not developed and looks somewhat run down. The main reason is.. if we are going to make this drastic change then we should do it together to a new area that is new to both of us. Austin also seems prettier .

So the Jewish thing is not a huge deciding factor but it is just very dif in NJ so it will be harder for my husband. Our one concern is our children being the only Jewish kids in class. I assume Austin is diverse culturally and this is not much of an issue. Houston is a bit more "bible belt" feeling and that is what we keep reading. Thoughts?

We are also moving to save money as houses in NJ are much more expensive for less house.

just to answer your other questions -
-great schools = tough question, great school rating of 8 or higher, exceptionally recognized curriculum, very high % of seniors go to college...still trying to figure this out.
-developed area just means not run down looking once you get out of community..still nice with shops etc on the outside.
-Would actually love the idea to be out of city and get a newer home as we have been in a city feel with an older home and are looking for that change. Just still want to be in a good/popular area.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 AM

8,015 posts, read 10,486,667 times
Quote:

Austin is not that diverse. Chances are, your kids will be the only Jewish kids in class. Unless you live very close to the JCC.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,298,961 times
There are some inherent conflicts in your wish list, and you are going to have to prioritize.

First -- place of worship. Few synagogues in the Austin area, all N of downtown. A couple are near the JCC near Mesa and Far West, with another Conservative a little N of there. One more -- Reform -- in the NW suburbs.

Support system -- only Jewish grocery is inside the HEB store across the street from the JCC. But, there are Kosher items in most every store in the area. Only one JCC -- Mesa and Far West. Only you can decide how important those items are.

Schools -- all of the synagogues are in areas with good schools. Some better than others, but still all good.

Homes -- here's where the conflict occurs. The area around the JCC is mostly way above your budget. If there is inventory, it is probably 30+ years old, and a duplex. Not all, but most. If you go NW, around the Reform congregation off 620, you get the housing stock you want, and can afford, but you are a ways off from the JCC and the "Jewish" grocery store.

So, once you rank order the priorities, you can close in.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:09 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,743,487 times
For neighborhoods close to JCC in your price range, I'd would try:

Northwest Austin - Balcones West, Westover Hills

Central Austin - Allandale, Crestview, North Shoal Creek, Shoal Creek Estates, and Wooten.

These Northwest & Central Austin neighborhoods have seen an influx of Jews who are priced out the Northwest neighborhoods immediately adjacent to the JCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin