Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:36 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,287,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1404 View Post
Would actually love the idea to be out of city and get a newer home as we have been in a city feel with an older home and are looking for that change. Just still want to be in a good/popular area.
Somebody around here wasn't paying attention to what the OP said they wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 02:00 PM

13 posts, read 16,167 times
you can find nice homes around 2222 and 360 (west of 360).
it is still close to the JCC. Cedar park is also not that far. I personally know some Jewish people in those areas.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,958,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Somebody around here wasn't paying attention to what the OP said they wanted.
Or the good schools part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
North Shoal Creek, Shoal Creek Estates, and Wooten.
Or the $400K budget part for Allandale, Crestview or Brentwood. No new builds or renovations in that budget in those areas and someone who likes new/master planned is going to run in terror from what you can get for less than $400K there.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangov View Post
you can find nice homes around 2222 and 360 (west of 360).
it is still close to the JCC. Cedar park is also not that far. I personally know some Jewish people in those areas.
For less than $400K? Apparently you haven't shopped for homes over there recently.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:38 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,974,615 times
400k could get you a new home next to the JCC in San Antonio and next to the Alon Market HEB, which was designed from the beginning to have a large kosher selection. And, the surrounding area would be just as pretty as Austin. But, let's just hope the Austin hype machine never reaches San Antonio.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:06 PM

13 posts, read 16,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
For less than $400K? Apparently you haven't shopped for homes over there recently.
I said nice. not new:
https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/661.../home/31302384
https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/641.../home/31891546
https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/751.../home/92290453

The last one is from 2012.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM

You realize those are not single family homes, right? And "nice" would certainly be a matter of opinion.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 PM

20 posts, read 34,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
There are some inherent conflicts in your wish list, and you are going to have to prioritize.

First -- place of worship. Few synagogues in the Austin area, all N of downtown. A couple are near the JCC near Mesa and Far West, with another Conservative a little N of there. One more -- Reform -- in the NW suburbs.

Support system -- only Jewish grocery is inside the HEB store across the street from the JCC. But, there are Kosher items in most every store in the area. Only one JCC -- Mesa and Far West. Only you can decide how important those items are.

Schools -- all of the synagogues are in areas with good schools. Some better than others, but still all good.

Homes -- here's where the conflict occurs. The area around the JCC is mostly way above your budget. If there is inventory, it is probably 30+ years old, and a duplex. Not all, but most. If you go NW, around the Reform congregation off 620, you get the housing stock you want, and can afford, but you are a ways off from the JCC and the "Jewish" grocery store.

So, once you rank order the priorities, you can close in.
Thank you so much for your advice. What areas are around the Reform congregation off 620? any specific areas you would recommend? i dont need to be right at the JCC, I am not Kosher and I dont need to be next to a congregation. I was just hopeful that my kids wont be the only Jewish children in their class wherever we live.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,287,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1404 View Post
Thank you so much for your advice. What areas are around the Reform congregation off 620? any specific areas you would recommend?
I'd look in the 78731 zip code. Here is just one example.

Even though my niece and her family live up there, for more detail, I will defer to hound109 -- that's his 'hood and he can give you the advantages of Park Forest vs. Twin Creeks, etc. Mr. Hound -- over to you.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:56 PM

75 posts, read 81,250 times
I live in East Austin, in the Mueller development, and I've met quite a few Jews (can think of 6 families in our neighborhood alone with kids 5 and under). Some trek out to the JCC for preschool and others, like us, don't care that much and stay local. I don't know what everyone will do for elementary school but we're likely going to go with our neighborhood school which seems decent and diverse. It's definitely not heavily Jewish but we're out there. It also doesn't seem like everything revolves around church either which is nice. I guess the point is, wherever you go, there's always someone Jewish. :-)

We used a great realtor - an office full of Jewish moms basically - who I'd be happy to put you in touch with if you want to message me. A realtor might be your best bet for showing you different areas that fit your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin