Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:23 PM

12 posts, read 36,448 times

Advertisements

Help.

I just accepted an offer for a position and need to relocate in less than 3 weeks. I've lived in downtown Chicago for the last 6 years and need help finding a neighborhood that won't give me culture shock---busy with people walking around, noisy, and store fronts close by. I'm working off 6th street and would prefer the shortest commute possible--used to a 10 minute drive. Looking for a 1 bedroom for no more than $700. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 05:34 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,568 times
Default Austin Search Tool

Try using the Search tool in menu above. You will find lots of info on Austin.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:18 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,169 times
Default Austin Rentals

Emmie, try Googling Austin Apartments and you'll see tons of apartment locators/finders. This is a free service. Just tell them what you're looking for and they'll come up with suitable apartments. Also check out AustinCool.com, Craigslist, and the classifieds at Statesman.com.

The areas you are looking for with the criteria you listed will be downtown, Clarksville and the South Congress area. $700 isn't a lot for a place downtown but I think you should be able to find a one bedroom for that. Your commute will be very short if you stick to downtown. In fact, you may find a place close enough to just walk to work.

Good luck!!

Old 11-04-2006, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,666 times
Emmie, Hon, I really don't think you want to live near 6th street - OK? Look for something in the perimeter not in the District!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug o_o View Post
Emmie, Hon, I really don't think you want to live near 6th street - OK? Look for something in the perimeter not in the District!
This is subjective. I personally LOVE downtown living. I would rather slit my throat than live in the suburbs (Round Rock, Cedar Park, etc.)

Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 PM

jread---i share your love for the action. no suburban living for this girl---ever!

Old 11-09-2006, 06:04 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,382 times
emmie:

Your $700 price limit is really low for living in central Austin. I know because I've given up 1BR apartments near downtown where I was paying about $900 and they're now going for as much as $1400. But maybe I'm being more picky than you would be.

Sixth St. is a long street and it changes with each block, so pay no heed to the warnings against it. The main problem you're going to face is that you have a choice between commuting at least 20 minutes to downtown or living in a really shoddy apartment. Yes, for $700 you can live downtown, and you'll probably regret it. My advice is to make a choice from the following:

1. accept the fact that you'll have a longer commute

2. live downtown and pony up a few hundred more per month (it's worth it!)

3. consider share rentals --- split a 2/2 in a place designed for maximum privacy

Check out Craigslist for Austin, it's FILLED with sublets, share rentals, apartment ads, etc. Also, Austin is jam-packed with Apartment Locator services. I'm going to recommend one that I've used 3 times but it might get deleted so just go on Craigslist and you'll find plenty of them advertising. The one I like is Austin Cool dot you-know-what. They specialize in central Austin and they're true to their name! But ANY locator service can help you, USE ONE or you'll be overwhelmed trying to find a place on your own. They're free, so it's a no-risk time-saving way to find a place on short notice.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:59 PM

9 posts, read 39,421 times
My husband and I are still Austin newbies (8 months) and would just like to say that deeptrance and AustinTraveler, you guys have a wealth of interesting and very useful information to share! Thanks

emmie, check out craigslist and apartmentratings! I found them to be very useful when looking for a place here in Austin. Ended up in the Northwest side near Lake Travis and my husband works in Westlake and I work near downtown... about 15 miles for me and takes about 30 minutes depending on what time of day. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2006, 07:36 PM

deeptrance--thanks for the advice. i'm going to see austin cool tomorrow. for me location is everything--i'm never really home that much anyway. i also refuse to pay over $700 on a rental. save my cash for a house instead.

craigslist is a great source but no one posts addresses which makes it difficult to know if it is worth my time---i only have tomorrow to find a place before i go back home to pack and come right back. crossing my fingers for a/cool.

i also realize that i no longer will be living in chicago and must be open to experiencing what austin has to offer. i'm being such a baby about it---geesh.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin