Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Francisco Bay area resident, relocating to Austin, Houston or Dallas, Texas advice needed: public transportation, weather and humidity, allergies impact, outdoor activities, ethnic diversity, quality of living

Old 06-03-2006, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,606 times

Advertisements

This might be a common question...but we are in the inland SF Bayarea considering a move to a more affordable, higher quality of living type city like Austin.

I hear that Austin is not as humid as Houston or Dallas. Is this true? Here in N. CA we are inland so we get typically 75-95 degree days with low levels of humidity but our nights are cold, in the 50s. We wouldn't mind some humidity if it meant warmer nights as well.

Also I have heard Allergies are horrible in Austin. Why would this be vs the rest of the US? We have about 2-3 months of medium allergies here inland in San Jose...wondering if it would be pretty much the same? Also, wouldn't allergy shots easily take care of those issues?

Coming from CA we want to move to a place that is more affordable, has much ethnic diversity, lots to do in terms of outdoor activities, bearable weather, and higher quality of living than here in N. CA where it seems like all you do is work work work to pay your mortgage and never get ahead. Does it sound like Austin would be an option for us?

Lastly, what is there in the way of public transportation aka a light rail or train or similar? If there is nothing like this right now, is something like this planned that anyone knows of?

Any comments appreciated...thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 10:04 AM

13 posts, read 124,452 times
I will try to answer as many of your questions as possible. First off, it gets pretty humid but you are right, it does not get as humid as Houston. The biggest change will not be the humidity as much as the heat. We have several days (sometimes even a couple of months) of 100 degree temperatures. Sometimes the heat is dry and easy to handle and sometimes it gets pretty humid. Even though it is still technically spring we have been having temperatures in the mid 90's for the last three weeks. It is unusual to use central heating and AC in the winter but it is not uncommon to have an electric bill well over 100 in the summer. We use ours very conservatively (we keep it at 80) and typically pay 130-180 for 1880 SF house.

As to the allergies, it is pretty bad. There is a saying that at some point you will develop allergies . . . the reason? Well, it just so happens that the central Texas area, specifically Travis and Bastrop Counties is where you will find the three geological land masses meeting (Coastal, Plains and Mountainous). The result is more indigenous varieties of plants than anywhere in the continental US. As to the allergy shots there are potentially severe side effects which must be considered especially when using for children. My son happens to have severe allergies and it has been something I have considered but the risks aren't worth it. Coping with allergies will largely depend on what you are allergic to and just making sure you have the right over the counter when your particular season hits.

Though I have never lived in CA I have family there and can assure that the cost of living is much cheaper. Be sure to consider that the earning potential can be much less too. Austin is the highest educated city in the US and you will find many waitstaff, blue collar, and other low paying jobs held by persons with a BA, doctoral or such. Here a degree is meaningless because everyone has one. One of the comments I have received from others who have moved to the area is how difficult it could be to find employment without having to take a 50% pay cut to what your earnings would be elsewhere. If you do plan on relocating try to lock down a job first to ensure your income needs will be met.

I hope that some of this information will be of use. I am thinking you are familiar with all of the benifits Austin has to offer. It is truly a unique city. I can't emagine living anywhere elce.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:27 PM

20 posts, read 122,460 times
Red face From a fellow Californian......also considering a move to Texas

My family and I have visited Austin twice now and each time we've really enjoyed the area. However, we are forced to look in the Houston area because of my husband's work....if we had a choice I would prefer Austin.....parts of Houston is nice but I'm very concerned about the hurricanes and floods....what we've experience in Texas is the rain....very scary stuff...but being from southern california the worst rain shower i've ever experienced is walking on the front lawn with the sprinklers on.....it is very hot, hot, hot, and humid, humid, humid.....minor negatives...when you think of the quality of life you will have with your family....plus we do have air conditioning now a days...and everything is airconditioned in Texas...

I would highly recommend you visiting austin with your family and get a real experience of what its like there...very diverse, family friendly neighborhoods, lot's of stuff to do....Zilker Park (Barton Springs), the Capital, the Schlitterbaun (San Marcos), lot's of dining, and shopping...etc....

Good Luck with your search....

Old 06-20-2006, 01:26 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
Schlitterbaun is in New Braunfels which is in the San Antonio metro.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:07 AM

7 posts, read 35,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyler
This might be a common question...but we are in the inland SF Bayarea considering a move to a more affordable, higher quality of living type city like Austin.

Coming from CA we want to move to a place that is more affordable, has much ethnic diversity, lots to do in terms of outdoor activities, bearable weather, and higher quality of living than here in N. CA where it seems like all you do is work work work to pay your mortgage and never get ahead. Does it sound like Austin would be an option for us?
Austin is not as ethnically diverse as the SF Bay area. Still predominantly white on the westside of I-35 and black on the eastside. With a Hispanics mixed in on either side. There is a sprinkling of asian(East and South) all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyler

Lastly, what is there in the way of public transportation aka a light rail or train or similar? If there is nothing like this right now, is something like this planned that anyone knows of?

Hah, not much public transportation to speak, definitely no BART or light rail system. Although light rail maybe in the works. The problem is Austin in the past did not want public transit. As a city it is not designed and built for public transit/pedestrian traffic, ie no sidewalks. There are sidewalks in the older parts of town, but most of the newer areas do not have sidewalks.

Currently there are buses, but depending on the route can easily run every 30mins to 1 hour between buses.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 PM

12 posts, read 25,666 times
No side walks! I am a little surprised. but....

I am a N.California person, thinking to move to Austin in order to save money and own a house.
MaTyler, what areas have you zeroed in in your search?
Another poster said that the public schools aren't good, I was shocked to hear that. Since it is a university town, I was hoping otherwise.

We work from home, so we can live anywhere in the country.
We are looking for a warm(80+) weather all year round, very good public schools for children. San Francisco bay area has been a great place to live but is expensive. I want to own a home. It is also very tolerable for different ideas and ways of life and ethnic diversity.

Any suggestions from anybody?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
You won't find warm 80 degree weather all year round. This was a cold winter. It can get below freezing and usually does. Also, the heat in the summer is 100s, not 80s so I don't think Austin fits your weather request.

The allergies are bad but are managed with OTC medication or allergy shots. The public schools are good, there is nothing wrong with them in most of Austin. Some areas are not so good but other areas are fine. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I rarely find it humid here. It's a dry heat. Nothing like Houston.

If you live in East Austin you will find ethnic diversity. Otherwise, I would say that a good chunk of Austin is not diverse.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
It gets very hot in Austin. Not really humid, just bone crushing heat. I like it, others might not.

There are many people who suffer from allergies in Austin. We do get terrible oak pollen, which is just about over right now.

Diversity depends on where in Austin you go. There is some Asian American, some African American and some Hispanic American diveristy. You won't find an 'international population' like you do in SF.

There is no real public/mass transportation to speak of. Most people drive everywhere, unless you live in the middle of town, then you can ride buses or a bike.

The cost of living in Austin proper is sky-high. We have one of the highest property tax rates in the country. We have no state income tax, but our property and sales taxes are very high. Of course, there are plenty of fees, too. It's cheaper to live in the suburbs, but you may perfer a more urban enviroment?

The 'upside' is that Austin has hills, a fun art and music scene, is liberal (for Texas, that is!) and an economy that is doing fairly well.

Good luck-

Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Geez, what's with the necroposting? This thread is almost 4 years old! Better to just start a new thread on this topic.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
As a former bay area resident living in Austin now for over 7 years I would encourage you to PLEASE reconsider your decision of relocating to Texas. If times in the bay area are tough for you, why not Sacramento? Why not areas of Southern California?? San Diego??

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyler View Post

Any parts of Austin that are worth living in are really not much less expensive than the inland bay area--are you referring to Pleasanton/Livermore area, or like Pittsburg /Antioch?? I would guess that homes in Central Austin are actually MORE EXPENSIVE than many areas of Pittsburg and Antioch (especially since the bubble burst) So consider that. Austin proper is expensive based on the fact it is near an area known to central Texas people as the hillbilly country. An area that bears SOME resemblance to hilly parts of the Sierra Foothills. (only with short stubby trees that look more like bushes) Most of the suburbs of Austin ARE more affordable, but it starts resembling Modesto and Stockton pretty quickly.

I hear that Austin is not as humid as Houston or Dallas. Is this true? Here in N. CA we are inland so we get typically 75-95 degree days with low levels of humidity but our nights are cold, in the 50s. We wouldn't mind some humidity if it meant warmer nights as well.

Austin is less humid than Houston during most of the summer. Mornings are generally warm the muggy though (in the 70;s normally). Dry during the heat of the day though. However, compared to CA, the weather here is awful. You could count the number of "California days" on your hand around here. Rarely is it ever sunny, 75 with light winds. This past winter has been horribly cold and cloudy and doesn't seem to want to give up even well into Spring.

Also I have heard Allergies are horrible in Austin. Why would this be vs the rest of the US? We have about 2-3 months of medium allergies here inland in San Jose...wondering if it would be pretty much the same? Also, wouldn't allergy shots easily take care of those issues?

I have also experienced some bad allergies here, but that's how it is. Not sure about allergy shots, but get the over the counter allergy meds ready!!

I fully understand where you are coming from, but PLEASE take a look around Sacramento and burbs before leaving the state. Very ethnically diverse, tons of outdoor activities, beautiful year round weather, and still close to so many areas including the bay area. If you simply MUST leave the state, look at Portland, Denver or Phoenix. And if you MUST move to Texas, take a good close look at Dallas and nothern burbs. The metroplex is the shining star of Texas (if that's possible) and offers so much more than Austin could ever dream of.

Austin has a terrible public transportation system which is known throughout the country as "a model for what NOT to do". They recently opened a half assed "light rail" system that goes downtown from some of the suburbs. Most trains are less than half full and they have limited hours. But some people ride it I guess.

Again, please reconsider your thoughts of leaving the greatest state in the nation. Things won't always be tough there. It's comes in cycles. It's the 8th largest economy in the world...it will turn around. Don't give it all up for an area that has high housing costs, horrible traffic congestion, little public transportation, arrogant people, mostly horrible climate, and very little to do on a regular basis. THINK ABOUT IT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin