Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,668,587 times

Advertisements

School taxes are part of your property taxes. I haven't heard of having to write 2 checks though. Your tax bill is made up of several "groups" that collect taxes..the ISD being one of them. Who gets to tax you though is very dependent on where you live, inside the city limits, outside in the county and which ISD you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 10:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,920,457 times
I think if you have a situation where you live in Travis county, for example, but the school district is say LISD (Williamson County), you can get 2 different bills. Sometimes the MUD tax bill might be seperate, too (it is in my case.) Shows up on the yearly "estimated taxes" document early in the year, but comes as a different bill. So, I think there are cases where you could get 3 different bills... they all add up to the typical 2.5-3%, so it isn't like you are paying more than someone getting only 1 consolidated bill.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:57 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,911,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio2texas View Post
Poor housing market in NE Ohio - it's been over a year and we still haven't sold our house there.
I feel for you. We did sell ours, but made nothing. The victory was in selling.

My list:

1.)Poor pedestrian infrastructure. I knew that Austin wasn't NYC, but I did(and do) expect much more from a city that talks itself up as being progressive and green. In this aspect, it's second rate at best. Some areas(downtown and newer developments) are well designed, but if you like to walk around neighborhoods with your dog, look out and be prepared to walk in the street a lot. I've almost been hit three times since I've been here

2.)Libraries. I guess we were spoiled, but I'm finding the libraries here to be pretty average and dreary, especially the downtown branch. It's adequate, but uninspiring. Libraries should be beautiful, inspiring and important community focal points.

3.)Italian food. There just isn't much here and I miss it sometimes. There are a few places but you kind of have to dig to find them. If you're coming from the North/East Coast, be prepared. I'm not talking about 5-star restaurants, just a mom & pop place(not a pizza parlor) to get some decent eggplant parmesan

4.)Drivers. I heard a lot about how bad the drivers were here in Texas, but I have to admit, I thought some of it might be hyperbole. It's not. There seems to be a pervasive characteristic of acute reckless driving in this state(not just Austin). I've seen drivers like that everywhere in this country but never to this extent. There are actually signs on I35 that encourage folks to report reckless drivers. It's kind of scary actually. A lot of irreverence towards traffic laws. And this is coming from someone who's been in more than a dozen accidents The latest one, when my wife and I were here looking for an apartment last July:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...me-austin.html

Anyway, we would still move here. No place is perfect and I think many of these problems will be addressed over time...although I don't know what can be done about the drivers.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,740,148 times
Everyone pays school taxes. My husbands BIL was just griping about that this weekend. They moved back to Texas from California last year, and their kids are out of school now, and he said he doesnt understand having to still pay school taxes without school aged kids.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
and their kids are out of school now, and he said he doesnt understand having to still pay school taxes without school aged kids.
I don't have kids and never will(I shouldn't say that). But I don't mind paying for schools a bit, as long as the money is properly utilized(another conversation completely). It's an investment in the community. If your schools suck, your city sucks. If your cities suck, your country sucks, if your country sucks...well you get it

Old 12-24-2007, 10:40 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,981,173 times
Ditto Twange. I look at paying AISD taxes as my contribution to the education of the children who will take our collective places in society as we get older and eventually pass on.

I remember several years ago when AISD was going through school board administrators on a 1-2 year cycle. Dr. Forgione has really done a good job of pulling AISD together and is a good administrator.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:52 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,244,232 times
I don't have kids either but I don't mind paying school taxes, either. Those kids are the future and I would like them to be as well edumacated as possible!

I just thought there was some totally separate tax from the 2%-3% that you guys were talking about. I think it's odd that it comes from property taxes, though. Shouldn't everyone have to pay it (renting or home-owning)? Shouldn't it be a state tax?

Old 12-24-2007, 12:40 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,031,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I don't have kids and never will(I shouldn't say that). But I don't mind paying for schools a bit, as long as the money is properly utilized(another conversation completely). It's an investment in the community. If your schools suck, your city sucks. If your cities suck, your country sucks, if your country sucks...well you get it
Good thing you moved to Austin and not Houston with that attitude. I believe it was a Houston State Rep that said public schools were a communist idea straight from the pit of hell.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:32 PM

277 posts, read 1,300,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
4.)Drivers. I heard a lot about how bad the drivers were here in Texas, but I have to admit, I thought some of it might be hyperbole. It's not. There seems to be a pervasive characteristic of acute reckless driving in this state(not just Austin). I've seen drivers like that everywhere in this country but never to this extent. There are actually signs on I35 that encourage folks to report reckless drivers. It's kind of scary actually. A lot of irreverence towards traffic laws. And this is coming from someone who's been in more than a dozen accidents The latest one, when my wife and I were here looking for an apartment last July:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...me-austin.html
yeah... I noticed that too... reckless driving, especially on the freeways. I'm kinda amazed though that the driver who rear-ended you didn't get a ticket. That's usually automatic. They obviously weren't paying attention and/or following too closely. Hopefully their insurance paid for it...?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Good thing you moved to Austin and not Houston with that attitude. I believe it was a Houston State Rep that said public schools were a communist idea straight from the pit of hell.
Yea, that and police, fire department, libraries...all pinko-commie stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
yeah... I noticed that too... reckless driving, especially on the freeways. I'm kinda amazed though that the driver who rear-ended you didn't get a ticket. That's usually automatic. They obviously weren't paying attention and/or following too closely. Hopefully their insurance paid for it...?
The cop seemed fairly disinterested but he was helpful. The guys insurance did pay for it but it still wasn't fixed when we got here in September. Her uncle really had to sort through a bunch of crap. We still feel bad about that one...we're on the list for a lot of favors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin