Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,381 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide between homes in Leander and Round Rock, we currently live in CA and have to decide based on as much info as we can find online - which is hard considering all the good reviews and bad reviews... We have 3 young kids, want to make sure we are in GOOD schools, and I want to make sure we will have a "life" and not be stuck out in the boonies with nothing but a walmart. I want close proximity to not just school, but also varying extracurricular activities for my girls, i.e. ballet classes, youth volleyball & soccer, etc. For me - have to be near a Target and other great shopping. I don't mind having some space, but I'm not a country-living girl and want to easily make new friends and be out of the house doing stuff. I need to be able to figure out where we would really rather be long term. (side note: I'm being told that Leander would be better since we'd be closer to family in Copperas Cove & Belton) I don't want a "one stoplight" kind of town but also don't want to be stuck in a congested area with schools we won't be happy with long term. One house would have Teravista as the elementary school in Round Rock and the other one would have Block Creek Elementary in Leander. Help me decide please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 PM

22 posts, read 31,304 times
At 100,000 people, Round Rock is not the one-stoplight-town it was when we moved here in 1976. While I no longer have any school age children, I read constantly about how good the school system is, and, in an aside, we are one of the safest cities of our size in the country. Within walking distance of our house is Old Settler's Park, which has baseball, softball, and soccer fields. Also, a lake for fishing and Dell Diamond for our amateur baseball team. I35 runs through the center of town, and Copperas Cove is about 45 minutes away. I don't believe Leander is anywhere near as big as we are, so I am fairly certain that we have more of the amenities here in Round Rock.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM

895 posts, read 1,241,496 times
Leander is growing rapidly and has a heb plus, Lowes, kohls, taco bell, mcds, GameStop, etc. Leander gas great schools..and is right on the cusp of hill country. It is also bordering cedar park which has everything that round Rock offers and the cedar park center which hosts the Texas stars hockey team which just win the championship and I'm sure other events as well. Lakeline mall is also down the road. Cedar park and Leander are both just exploding.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:42 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,858,957 times
They're both pretty much interchangeable. Round Rock might give easier access to the "Austiny" stuff. Leander, easier access to the train.

Pick the house you like and the commute you can live with.

Just rent first. Trust me - if you're thinking "one stoplight town", you've obviously never been to either city. Rent for a year.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 PM

677 posts, read 654,093 times
Round Rock is a very large area, and so on the one hand it would change somewhat depending on what part of Round Rock you are looking at. That being said, Round Rock has much more/easier access to Austin and the "Austin-y" things in my opinion, and that gives it a very clear edge.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 PM

772 posts, read 1,061,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumfirth View Post
We are trying to decide between homes in Leander and Round Rock, we currently live in CA and have to decide based on as much info as we can find online - which is hard considering all the good reviews and bad reviews... We have 3 young kids, want to make sure we are in GOOD schools, and I want to make sure we will have a "life" and not be stuck out in the boonies with nothing but a walmart. I want close proximity to not just school, but also varying extracurricular activities for my girls, i.e. ballet classes, youth volleyball & soccer, etc. For me - have to be near a Target and other great shopping. I don't mind having some space, but I'm not a country-living girl and want to easily make new friends and be out of the house doing stuff. I need to be able to figure out where we would really rather be long term. (side note: I'm being told that Leander would be better since we'd be closer to family in Copperas Cove & Belton) I don't want a "one stoplight" kind of town but also don't want to be stuck in a congested area with schools we won't be happy with long term. One house would have Teravista as the elementary school in Round Rock and the other one would have Block Creek Elementary in Leander. Help me decide please!

Would it be at all possible for you or hubby to come here for just a weekend... Ignore those that say you have to come for a couple of weeks.. A weekend is more than enough to drive through both places.. tour some of the homes for sale and just generally get some feeling of a place.. At least it was for us.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 AM

320 posts, read 487,326 times
Consider Cedar Park and NW Austin too. Closer in to Austin for "having a life". And agree, you need to come here for at least a weekend and drive around. If all you need in life are big box stores and kids activities, then you will be fine in RR and Leander, but if you want to explore other things that Austin has to offer, you might wasn't to live a little closer. RR and Cedar Park are probably same drive to NW Austin, but hAve a different feel in scenery IMO. Everyone is different in what feels comfortable to them, which is why you need to come see it for yourself before you pin anything down. Also, definitely rent first if possible. Put stuff in storage and get a small apartment and drive around every weekend. We did that. Had to change schools because the area I thought was the best in my online research ended up not working out and we found a house in Cedar Park.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,221,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
Consider Cedar Park and NW Austin too. Closer in to Austin for "having a life". And agree, you need to come here for at least a weekend and drive around. If all you need in life are big box stores and kids activities, then you will be fine in RR and Leander, but if you want to explore other things that Austin has to offer, you might wasn't to live a little closer. RR and Cedar Park are probably same drive to NW Austin, but hAve a different feel in scenery IMO. Everyone is different in what feels comfortable to them, which is why you need to come see it for yourself before you pin anything down. Also, definitely rent first if possible. Put stuff in storage and get a small apartment and drive around every weekend. We did that. Had to change schools because the area I thought was the best in my online research ended up not working out and we found a house in Cedar Park.
This.

I would choose Cedar Park any day of the week over Leander and Round Rock for schools, home selection and scenery.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,787,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
This.

I would choose Cedar Park any day of the week over Leander and Round Rock for schools, home selection and scenery.
I agree CP is preferable to Leander & most of RR.

I suspect the OP (along with many newbies).... is having a hard time with the geographic differences between School Districts vs. Towns/Cities. (which is why so many ask "What's better...between RR & Leander".....instead of between Leander/Cedar Park/RR/NW Austin or even South Georgetown & Pville).

RRISD - has schools in RR, & NW Austin. (& CP?)
LISD - Has schools in Leander, CP, & NW Austin. (& SW Gtown?)
PISD - Has schools in P'ville, RR & N. Austin.

Newbies....90% of the time, asking about Districts as opposed asking about school tracks (& neighborhoods) is a mistake or at best a flawed inquiry. It will confuse you, is counterproductive & labels you as a noob.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,221,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I agree CP is preferable to Leander & most of RR.

I suspect the OP (along with many newbies).... is having a hard time with the geographic differences between School Districts vs. Towns/Cities. (which is why so many ask "What's better...between RR & Leander".....instead of between Leander/Cedar Park/RR/NW Austin or even South Georgetown & Pville).

RRISD - has schools in RR, & NW Austin. (& CP?)
LISD - Has schools in Leander, CP, & NW Austin. (& SW Gtown?)
PISD - Has schools in P'ville, RR & N. Austin.

Newbies....90% of the time, asking about Districts as opposed asking about school tracks (& neighborhoods) is a mistake or at best a flawed inquiry. It will confuse you, is counterproductive & labels you as a noob.
True, true. It is confusing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin