Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 27,785 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a possible transfer to the Austin area, and had a few questions regarding some neighborhoods to live as my situation isn't typical.

I am married (both late 20's), childless (no plans to change that), and work for the federal government. The job would actually be between Bastrop, and Elgin. The wife has a lot of experience in retail, has worked the last 6 years in investment/loan industry, and would be looking for a job in the area. We would prefer to live in Austin since we definitely prefer the urban to suburban. We visited there this year on vacation and really liked the area. The things we would be looking for in an area would be....

-1 to 2 bedroom pet friendly rental. (Apartment or house)
-Good walkability to good food, bars, and music venues.
-Close to good parks, and outdoor recreation.
-Other late 20's/early 30's people to meet and socialize with.
-Access to a Whole Foods (or something similar) and a good farmers' market.

How much would we expect to pay for an area such as this preferably on the east side to make it easier on my commute? I am willing to make a drive to live in an area that I enjoy, and would have the possibility of working off shifts, so I could end up avoiding the typical heavy traffic times. I'd be going the opposite direction as most commuters would be as well. We wouldn't rule out living in Bastrop. The town seemed to have its charm, but based on our interests I could see us wishing we were in Austin more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 AM

155 posts, read 211,786 times
Commuting to Bastrop/Elgin would be a pain from the Austin neighborhood that satisfies your requirements. I think you and your wife would be very happy if you lived somewhere in downtown/SoCo/Rainey St area. However, be warned that the commute is going to be bad if not terrible. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000 for a 1/2 bd in that area. Of course, you could get cheaper apts but they might not necessarily be nice.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,126,008 times
Mueller neighborhood might fit, quick hop to 290 E.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
Check out the Barton Hills/South Lamar area. It should fit your requirements (the Barton Creek Green Belt is right there, Central Market is biking/walking distance, Sprouts is definitely walking distance, there's a huge farmer's market weekly at Barton Creek Mall just minutes away, and the Whole Foods flagship store is minutes away by car, there's bars and restaurants and other shopping right there. Plus, it's just north of Ben White/71 and South Lamar, thus a straight shoot to Bastrop. Rental on a house would be in the $2000-2500 range, apartments less.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,792,286 times
Why not rent (for a 1/3 of the cost) IN the town of Bastrop for a 6-8 months. Walk (or short drive) to grocery, restaurants, bars etc in a cute town. Don't have to worry about schools (since you don't have kids) & you'll have a shorter commute to your job.

Let the wife take her time finding a job (where she wants)....heck, you don't need her income because the rent & gas expense is so low. Spend weekends visiting Austin for fun & for house hunting and THEN pull the trigger next spring or early summer when you know where HER job is.

If you feel like partying down in the big city, get a room downtown (or in SA or in Houston) once a month with the money you'll save on not having austin rent. Plus....you won't drive yourself crazy trying to find a place where you are able to commute from & near where she may (or may not) be working at.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,131,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royers View Post
I'm looking at a possible transfer to the Austin area, and had a few questions regarding some neighborhoods to live as my situation isn't typical.

I am married (both late 20's), childless (no plans to change that), and work for the federal government. The job would actually be between Bastrop, and Elgin. The wife has a lot of experience in retail, has worked the last 6 years in investment/loan industry, and would be looking for a job in the area. We would prefer to live in Austin since we definitely prefer the urban to suburban. We visited there this year on vacation and really liked the area. The things we would be looking for in an area would be....

-1 to 2 bedroom pet friendly rental. (Apartment or house)
-Good walkability to good food, bars, and music venues.
-Close to good parks, and outdoor recreation.
-Other late 20's/early 30's people to meet and socialize with.
-Access to a Whole Foods (or something similar) and a good farmers' market.

How much would we expect to pay for an area such as this preferably on the east side to make it easier on my commute? I am willing to make a drive to live in an area that I enjoy, and would have the possibility of working off shifts, so I could end up avoiding the typical heavy traffic times. I'd be going the opposite direction as most commuters would be as well. We wouldn't rule out living in Bastrop. The town seemed to have its charm, but based on our interests I could see us wishing we were in Austin more.
I am addressing primarily the bolded items. There are a lot of new luxury apartments being built in the East Riverside Drive area. That area is generally not highly recommended as there are lots of students and older run down apartments, and fairly high crime for Austin. However, Austin's violent crime rate is quite low and I believe all of these new apartments is going to have a big impact on changing the tone of that area. It is easy to get from East Riverside Drive out East to Hwy 71 and on to Bastrop. Working off shifts would be especially helpful in avoiding the peak rush hour traffic in and out of Austin. East Riverside Drive to Bastrop is 28 miles, 32 minutes off peak.

So I think this area will be worth considering. It is very close to downtown, good walkability along town lake hike and bike trails along the river and the chain of parks the trails there connect to downtown. Lots of young adults. You would have to drive a short distance to Whole Foods on the West side of downtown, but almost everyone else does to and there are numerous large grocery stores in the Riverside Drive area. It has pretty quick access to downtown Austin and South Congress avenue by bus, which are the two major entertainment areas in Austin.

See this previous discussion thread.

Projects will add 780 apartments along East Riverside corridor | www.statesman.com

City weighs new rules to steer East Riverside growth | www.statesman.com

Otherwise the revitalized Mueller Airport area would be one of the only other areas I would consider. But the apartments there are pretty pricey http://www.mosaicaustin.com/austin-tx-apartments.asp

Some people really like the rapidly gentrifying area of East Austin directly East of downtown. It is improving, but in general most of East Austin has historically been the neglected side of town, lower income, higher crime, mixed industrial uses. So its a matter of taste and tolerance.

This website may help you find what areas have apartments in your price range.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-11-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 02:17 PM

8 posts, read 27,785 times
Thanks for the info. That'll give us plenty to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: