Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,020 times

Advertisements

Ok so the title pretty much says it all, my parents are in town and they are seniors, a lot of the cool stuff in the city and around it ( greenbelt, hiking, kayaks, lake travis, hamilton pool, wimberley) seem to be geared to more "active" kinds of people.. I was wondering what are some good activities would be for senior citizen, or people that have difficulties walking for long distances.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Define senior citizen. I'm 63 and enjoy all those things, and more!

Seriously, though, what kinds of things do your parents like? There are a lot of museums here. Imax at the Bullock Museum is a possibility. The Austin Nature Center or the Zilker Botanical Gardens or the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center might be enjoyable to them, and they might enjoy the UT Campus or the Capitol.

But, really, what are their interests? It'll be easier to point you in the right direction if we know that.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:53 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Lots of stuff for all ages:
Free Fun in Austin: Weekend Top 10 FREE Events (March 2-3, 2013)

Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,020 times
Well last time they visited I took them to the Capitol, Zilker botanical gardens and they enjoyed it, however it was a beautiful summer day. I wish i could show them the hiking trail but they have problems with mobility, so the main thing is that any activity should be friendly for people with mobility problems... so that rules out my favorite austin things, swimming in hamilton pool and walking the town lake trail...

Old 03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
All things LBJ.

LBJ Presidential Library

Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park - Lyndon B Johnson National Historical Park

Seniors will love it because they remember him.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeduars View Post
Ok so the title pretty much says it all, my parents are in town and they are seniors, a lot of the cool stuff in the city and around it ( greenbelt, hiking, kayaks, lake travis, hamilton pool, wimberley) seem to be geared to more "active" kinds of people.. I was wondering what are some good activities would be for senior citizen, or people that have difficulties walking for long distances.
kite festival is tomorrow and there should be great wind. duck tours is moderately entertaining, make sure you use a coupon. Not sure if they can do a segway tour, but if they can those are kind of neat.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,796,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I second this.

Also, they might enjoy Sunday morning brunch at Threadgill's south, listening to the gospel music that starts about 11 (not too gospel-ish). If you go, sit in the front room where the buffet is located. You'll still hear the music, but it won't be too loud to have a conversation.

A trip down to South Congress could be fun, to visit shops such as Allen's boots and some interesting antique stores, then take a break at Guero's.

Another suggestion would be Mayfield Park. The park has peacocks, ponds, gardens, historic structures and an easy to navigate trail. Laguna Gloria is right next door and beautiful as well. After that, stop by Upper Crust Bakery for something divine. You won't find anything there that isn't.

They also might like touring around Whole Foods downtown, followed by breakfast or lunch across the street at 24 Diner.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
My wife and I are both retired but we enjoy taking visitors down to 6th Street for a show at Esther's Follies (it is a little risque). You can park at the Convention Center parking garage so its only a 2 block walk, or drop them off while you park the car. Carmelo's the Italian restaurant behind Esther's Follies is pretty good if you want to do dinner and a show without too much walking. Buy your tickets on line in advance so you don't have to wait and line and you are guaranteed to have reserved seats. http://www.esthersfollies.com/

Another option for dinner is to park in the underground parking garage below the City Hall, which some people enjoy seeing. Ride the elevater to the City Hall Plaza and walk through the plaza over to 2nd Street (Willie Nelson Blvd) then East to Colorado and North to Third St. for dinner at Cantina Laredo. a roughly 2.5 block walk. Alternatively you can have dinner at Lamberts next to City Hall and take in a show at the new Austin City Limits Moody Theater directly North of City Hall. Tickets for ACL can also be purchased in advance online http://www.acl-live.com/venue or by calling (877) 435-9849.

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-03-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin