Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:04 PM

20 posts, read 50,048 times

Advertisements

My wife-unit and I will be moving from Dallas to Austin in a few months. I'm a washed-up guvmint-man and non-published novelist. She's a psych nurse and has been offered an executive position, similar to the one she now holds, with an Austin based mental health provider whose facilities are flung both far and wide across the country. As such, she'll be flying four days a week (give or take), about three weeks a month. The rest of her time will be spent at the company HQ on Capital of Texas South.

So I come before this august assembly in search of sage wisdom, counsel and advice about residential choices, presumably in the south and/or southwestern Austin area, although we're not picky. However, she'd rather listen to my jokes 24/7 than have to commute on 35.

Here's some personal info.

We're 50-something empty nesters, so this could be our last such move. That means onvenient shopping and health care is more important to us than school quality.

Neither of us is into outdoor activity.

One pet, a nine-year old Golden Retriever.

Up here in north Dallas, we're comparatively liberal. In Austin, we'll probably be viewed, if at all, as either moderates or conservatives depending on the neighborhood.

While the classic chant in real estate is "location, location, location," for us it's more like: proximity (to airport, office, and services), price ($250,000 max) and privacy.

Any comments, suggestions, warnings, or Aggie jokes you feel like sharing will be appreciated.

Bayou Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 07:57 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,660,140 times
I am in SA but most of the family lives in S austin, my aunt (just turned 63 and empty nester no hubby hates yard work etc but still wants shopping health care and somewhat of a nightlife) bought a house last year in Grand Oaks on manchea (sp?) and slaughter (Dr Horton) was the builder. She loves the area, lots to do good location etc. She likes that there are alot of empty nesters in the neighborhood as well as families. She does not know about the schools in the area since that was not a factor for her either.

Good luck

Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 AM

806 posts, read 2,886,824 times
Slaughter and Manchaca...

Old 09-17-2006, 05:47 PM

944 posts, read 3,957,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Bill View Post
Any comments, suggestions, warnings, or Aggie jokes you feel like sharing will be appreciated.
I like you already.

If you don't like outdoor activities AND you want privacy, does that rule out a condo? There are a lot of GREAT new condos being built in central Austin and you can walk to everything from them, no commute. If by "privacy" you mean you want a private back yard then you won't find anything anywhere near central Austin for $250K unless it's a 1/1 or 2/1 in a gentrifying marginal neighborhood.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
I like you already.

If you don't like outdoor activities AND you want privacy, does that rule out a condo? There are a lot of GREAT new condos being built in central Austin and you can walk to everything from them, no commute. If by "privacy" you mean you want a private back yard then you won't find anything anywhere near central Austin for $250K unless it's a 1/1 or 2/1 in a gentrifying marginal neighborhood.
Deeptrance,

One "problem" my wife and I face is having few restrictions as to residence. She grew up in a new co-op apartment complex in the working class area of Flushing, Queens, (NYC). I spent my first ten years in very rural north Louisiana in a house my grandfather built. Having spent 35 years together, we've learned to accomnodate.

We'd both probably prefer at least a small private backyard to let the dog stretch and to grill whenever we choose. Other than wanting to avoid a long commute and preferring proximity to shopping and services, we're open and very undecided.

==

Neddy,

I appreciate that lead on Grand Oaks and will, in the immortal words of drive-in movie critic Joe Bob Briggs, "Check it out." Commute time might be a downside, especially if it's on I-35. The wife unit likes the idea of easy access to the stores along 35 but, having spent the last ten years bucking Dallas traffic, isn't wild about creeping past them twice a day.

Bayou Bill

Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,340,015 times
Default Southwest Austin

When I read your questions I immediately thought of a community we looked at last year on Southwest Parkway. It's called Escondera. Unfortunately, I just looked it up and prices have gone up $100K since we were considering it so they are now out of your price range. But, I would still recommend looking at communities along and off Southwest Parkway since there is a lot of new construction going on there. Also, it is easy access to S. Capital of Texas and shopping is everywhere.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:17 AM

Also, check out the 78722 zip code (ask any agent or check a zip code map). It's very green, peaceful, and relatively inexpensive for a place so central, and it's going to appreciate a lot as the old airport is being converted into a very nice and BIG semi-planned semi-new-urbanist mixed use development with lots of park space. I'd give you a link but my brain is half dead at the moment and the coffee isn't working yet.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:15 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,683,572 times
We live in the western oaks area, which is just north of circle C and a bit more affordable. Not sure what the actual selling prices are, but the appraisals for this area sound to be in the price range you are looking for, depending on the size house you are seeking. This is the area to the west of MoPac, between slaughter and William Cannon.

The lots are typical neighborhood lots with small backyards. There is a smattering of condos/townhomes in the area, and I drive on I-35 MAYBE once every 3 months or so. MoPac/360 take me everywhere I need, and I can get to SA down hwy 281.

I travel to the airport regularly, and the drive is not bad at all during 'off' hours, and manageable during peak hours. The improvements down hwy 71 are progressing fairly well, so in a few years it will be even better (assuming traffic does not outpace the highway - ugh!). There are a variety of box stores (home depot, lowes, best buy, Bed bath beyond, cost co, sams, etc, etc,) and a few nice 'local' shops.

You can also check out east of mopac in the same area, but the prices either go up, or the 'niceness' of the neighborhood goes down.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:31 PM

This could be veddy interesting. I can see it all now:

If AUSTIN TRAVLER is in a DEEP TRANCE then the SPOOKMEISTER may be checking out a TRAIN WRECK. Neddy and I better buckle-up and cinch 'em tight.

But seriously folks I do appreciate your time and suggestions. The wife-unit sent in her resignation today effective Friday, October 13th (is that symbolic, or what?)

Bayou Bill

Old 09-22-2006, 04:27 PM

Hey Bayou Bill, I don't think anyone answered your original question about needing info re: south Austin.

It's south of the northern and central parts of Austin.

I hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: