Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM

185 posts, read 463,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
These posts go over the same issues every month..have seen this for years....like Groundhog Day...do you regular posters actually enjoy going over the same topics on the same city for years?
If they/we do enjoy it, is that ok with you?

i mean we wouldnt want to ever ever discuss something that you may not enjoy.....that would be flat out distasteful!! of us

Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mintjulep View Post
Do people still listen to the radio? Besides, aren't all radio stations the same everywhere? They've all been owned by the same corporation for 20 years.

And I hate winter, bagels, and deli food.
yea, we dont want it to get too cold up in here........this aint Wisconsin ya'll...
who wants a Bagel.....i tried those things......please you only live once stale tasteless greaseless lifeless tire shaped meals are not what i have in mind...today or any day after that.....deli food....go to the grocery store or subway........i mean.....you gotta eat whats around you......if you want more red lobster go to Maine.....just sayin its just food....i can make any kind of food at my house...french food or chinese monkee brains if i wanted to....food?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Yep.......been off and on here so long......but, I guess, what else would we be doing on the web?
The web is just what TV was back when, with perhaps a little more input..
still mostly a way to kill time..lets call it interactive TV
yea...i like that...its like an interactive tv...good one

Old 11-05-2010, 06:28 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,977,964 times
It's really strange how you say Austin took you out of your comfort zone yet you do not give examples. You talk about being creative and outgoing in perhaps the most self absorbed and introverted city population I've ever seen. People are so "laid back" that it doesn't really require any effort to socialize.

Now I wanted to point out that the cost of living in Dallas is less for more. They have four arts districts, compared to zero arts districts in Austin. So naturally the people in Dallas are more creative. So I'm not really understanding how you come to your conclusions unless it is imagined or you have a large group of creative or theater arts friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I miss Dallas. I used to be able to drive 15 miles from place to place and paying exorbitant prices to sit back and be entertained. Now I'm expected to be healthy, active, creative and outgoing since moving here to Austin. This town has really taken me out of my comfort zone.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,037,907 times
Wow, been living here for a long time and never thought it was "country". It's very diversified. What part of Austin were you living in?

Other than the hot weather it's a cool place to be.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 AM

It's diversified in south-east Austin where all of the Hispanics are located. But isn't that area mainly older residential? It would serve no purpose to just drive through the ghetto just to experience diversity. The few diversified festivals are good i.e., Viva La Vida, Brazilian Carnival, and Cinco de Mayo; but if you are Hispanic you have to wait for 3 days out of the entire year to celebrate and party down.

When people say Austin is "country" they are talking about the hill country mentality (i.e., fishing, having a few beers, football, tailgate parties, bats under a bridge, tubing, hiking, talking about the hill country as if it were God, and herd mentality). If you are from the "country" then you probably don't know what "country" feels like or looks like since you've never been able to compare it to modern city life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Wow, been living here for a long time and never thought it was "country". It's very diversified. What part of Austin were you living in?

Other than the hot weather it's a cool place to be.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's really strange how you say Austin took you out of your comfort zone yet you do not give examples. You talk about being creative and outgoing in perhaps the most self absorbed and introverted city population I've ever seen. People are so "laid back" that it doesn't really require any effort to socialize.

Now I wanted to point out that the cost of living in Dallas is less for more. They have four arts districts, compared to zero arts districts in Austin. So naturally the people in Dallas are more creative. So I'm not really understanding how you come to your conclusions unless it is imagined or you have a large group of creative or theater arts friends?
And yet, according to you, you were unable to get a date while in Austin specifically because there's no "gay ghetto" and people here were routinely mean to you. So that would directly contradict the asssertion above.

There's a disconnect there that's puzzling me - can you clear it up?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:52 AM

Well the gay scene in Austin is relatively tiny. Many of the older gay men who are regulars at Rain and Oilcan come in from Houston or San Antonio to get laid by the younger college students. And some didn't want to be recognized in a gay bar in their hometowns so they came to Austin for a one night stand. The college aged gay guys are a relatively small group. Perhaps the same 15 or 20 each weekend. Nothing special. However, the lesbian population is larger. So if you are an older lesbian couple then feel free to move to Austin.

And there really isn't a disconnect because I said the population was so introverted and self absorbed at the time that I was there. I can't imagine how "assertiveness" can be a prized trait when everyone is so introverted. People communicate with a quick grumble and body language. And that's really impressive for such an educated bunch. And yes a lot of the transplant yuppies and religious weirdos were mean as hell. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And yet, according to you, you were unable to get a date while in Austin specifically because there's no "gay ghetto" and people here were routinely mean to you. So that would directly contradict the asssertion above.

There's a disconnect there that's puzzling me - can you clear it up?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
It's diversified in south-east Austin where all of the Hispanics are located. But isn't that area mainly older residential? It would serve no purpose to just drive through the ghetto just to experience diversity. The few diversified festivals are good i.e., Viva La Vida, Brazilian Carnival, and Cinco de Mayo; but if you are Hispanic you have to wait for 3 days out of the entire year to celebrate and party down.

When people say Austin is "country" they are talking about the hill country mentality (i.e., fishing, having a few beers, football, tailgate parties, bats under a bridge, tubing, hiking, talking about the hill country as if it were God, and herd mentality). If you are from the "country" then you probably don't know what "country" feels like or looks like since you've never been able to compare it to modern city life.
Well, I don't do any of those activities so I must not be "country". We have diversity in all parts of the city.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Well the gay scene in Austin is relatively tiny. Many of the older gay men who are regulars at Rain and Oilcan come in from Houston or San Antonio to get laid by the younger college students. And some didn't want to be recognized in a gay bar in their hometowns so they came to Austin for a one night stand. The college aged gay guys are a relatively small group. Perhaps the same 15 or 20 each weekend. Nothing special. And there really isn't a disconnect because I said the population was so introverted and self absorbed at the time that I was there. I can't imagine how "assertiveness" can be a prized trait when everyone is so introverted. People communicate with a grumble and body language. And that's really impressive for such an educated bunch. And yes a lot of the transplant yuppies were mean as hell.
Woah, that's just not so. There is a large gay community here. Second to San Fransisco. Did you ever go to 'Bout Time in North Austin? What about 4th Street Downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin