Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM

732 posts, read 2,128,339 times

Advertisements

1. Glut of job seekers for each job.
2. Hot, hot summers.
3. No real character...just people telling you there is character.
4. Vanilla personality people with too much Texas pride.
5. Football fanaticism. (love/hate. I like it because I know when to go shopping)
6. Bland Italian food, seafood, deli.
7. High RE prices, high taxes, low wages.
8. Horrible traffic.
9. Horrible drivers. I am thinking of funding a PSA to remind people that their cars have directionals.
10. Customer service is generally friendly but low quality.
11. Yes, the radio stations suck...but they suck everywhere now. Same songs several times in the 8 hours I'm at work.

I will counter my gripes with some things I like to be fair.

1. My sports car doesn't have to just be a summer car.
2. Amazing barbecue.
3. Good Tex-Mex.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:48 PM

648 posts, read 1,966,916 times
TO MUCH RELIANCE ON PROPERTY TAXES

Low wages.

Too much sprawl. No longer a small town.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,783,858 times
The traffic has gone past annoying and into the dangerous territory. Its only my extreme focus while driving that prevents the 1 to 2 serious accidents that would otherwise occur per week due to the driving idiocy around here.
I've had road ragers try to crash me off the road twice for the high crime of tapping my brakes when the morons were literally inches off my bumper in the past year in fast moving traffic. Its amazing how long they can go on with their rage threatening me. I just give them the thumbs up sign and smile.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,337,778 times
I will counter my negative rant with the top three things I love about Austin.

1. The heat (and native plants that can live in the heat and look beautiful)
2. BBQ
3. Hills/Sunsets

Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 PM

197 posts, read 613,424 times
Yeah, but these are the same complaints any medium-sized town sees when they become larger or popular. I don't think this is anything exclusive to Austin.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:50 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
Austin is NOT diverse. If you look at the percentage of minorities, it may seem as though it is. But the problem is that most of that minority percentage is Hispanic. The percentage of people who are neither white nor Hispanic is pitifully small. Even among the white population, there is little diversity. There is no significant Italian, Russian, Polish, etc. populations. Same for Hispanics. There is no measurable Puerto Rican, Honduran, etc. population. I know, I know - someone will reply with, "My neighbor is Puerto Rican," and therefore assume that there is a big Puerto Rican presence here. But face it, folks, it's really not that diverse.

Here's what I also don't like:
- No delis (or at least no good ones)
- Whole city shuts down at 1am (or 2 on weekends)
- Not walkable
- Lack of good museums (Yes, we have some. But they are far from great museums)
- The heat
- The bugs
- Not much to do. And before someone mentions Zilker Park, let me point out that most cities the size of Austin (or smaller) have parks just like it. It's not unique to Austin.
- Landlocked
- Lack of big music shows / tours. Funny how I have to drive to San Antonio or Houston to see so many big concerts that don't pass through the "Live Music Capital."
- No good bagel shops

Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,580,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
"Nothing good happens at 1am (or 2 on weekends)" --Jim Rome

Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Austin is NOT diverse. If you look at the percentage of minorities, it may seem as though it is. But the problem is that most of that minority percentage is Hispanic. The percentage of people who are neither white nor Hispanic is pitifully small. Even among the white population, there is little diversity. There is no significant Italian, Russian, Polish, etc. populations. Same for Hispanics. There is no measurable Puerto Rican, Honduran, etc. population. I know, I know - someone will reply with, "My neighbor is Puerto Rican," and therefore assume that there is a big Puerto Rican presence here. But face it, folks, it's really not that diverse.

- No delis (or at least no good ones)
- Not walkable
- Lack of good museums (Yes, we have some. But they are far from great museums)
- The heat
- The bugs
- Not much to do. And before someone mentions Zilker Park, let me point out that most cities the size of Austin (or smaller) have parks just like it. It's not unique to Austin.
- Landlocked
- Lack of big music shows / tours. Funny how I have to drive to San Antonio or Houston to see so many big concerts that don't pass through the "Live Music Capital."
- No good bagel shops
Looking at what you're describing, I'm suspecting that you're homesick for someplace just like where you came from. (Wherever that might be, and I'm suspecting East Coast just by the things you seem to miss.)

There are two cures for homesickness. One is to go back home. The other is to set aside those things you're used to, that are your comfort zone, and explore with enthusiasm the joys of the place you are. Trust me, every place has them.

Which you choose depends on you a heck of a lot more than it does the place you happen to be.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 AM

239 posts, read 518,719 times
1. Lack of services evening hours and weekends. So far, we can't find a doctor/dentist/vet, etc that has evening or Saturday hours!
2. The Texas-California "centric-ness" of this city.
3. Hearing "well, we have no state income tax" as an attempt to rationalize the insanely high property taxes.
4. "You won't miss the winters....". Yes, I will. I like the change of seasons.
5. The food. Tex-Mex and BBQ and burgers are stellar, but everything else is pretty much marginal and over-priced. Pizza? Italian? Sandwiches/deli? A good bakery? Hard to find.
6. Dogs. C'mon, large dogs (even one) should not be kept in apartments.
7. The "lock" of Boars Head meats at the deli counter.

We find Austin a great "small" big city, but is kinda ten years behind (there's a long way to go as far as the recycling efforts here)...sorry, just my opinion.

I do LOVE the scenery. And that most restaurants have outdoor seating. The efforts to "green" the city. The love and protection of open spaces, parks.

Last edited by kbchitown; 11-03-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,028,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Looking at what you're describing, I'm suspecting that you're homesick for someplace just like where you came from. (Wherever that might be, and I'm suspecting East Coast just by the things you seem to miss.)

There are two cures for homesickness. One is to go back home. The other is to set aside those things you're used to, that are your comfort zone, and explore with enthusiasm the joys of the place you are. Trust me, every place has them.

Which you choose depends on you a heck of a lot more than it does the place you happen to be.
I miss Dallas. I used to be able to drive 15 miles from place to place and paying exorbitant prices to sit back and be entertained. Now I'm expected to be healthy, active, creative and outgoing since moving here to Austin. This town has really taken me out of my comfort zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin