Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 08:39 AM

23,552 posts, read 44,236,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
Definitely channeling John Portman's towers in downtown that all have fortresses at street level and pedestrian bridges specifically designed to keep their tenants as insulated from the streets as possible. He is the reason that Downtown Atlanta is so cold and uninviting.
I had the same thoughts about a Peachtree Center redux. Thing is, John Portman was working in the suburbia-centric 60s, when the "downtown experience" was at its nadir. It was actually considered an enhancement to seal the development off from the sidewalks, as you were creating a bulwark against the 'downtown boogeymen'. Selling the urban vision that prevails today would have been like spitting in the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 12:05 PM

8,490 posts, read 15,039,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I had the same thoughts about a Peachtree Center redux. Thing is, John Portman was working in the suburbia-centric 60s, when the "downtown experience" was at its nadir. It was actually considered an enhancement to seal the development off from the sidewalks, as you were creating a bulwark against the 'downtown boogeymen'. Selling the urban vision that prevails today would have been like spitting in the wind.
The conspiracy theory part of my mind says that what happened to US downtowns was intentionally done. In this scenario developers would convince cities to rip up their downtowns just so they could turn right around 50 years later and build it all again when people realize they actually like dense, walkable spaces.

On the less conspiracy minded view, one thing people in urban planning circles often forget is that: A.) Preferences change with the time. The people of the 50s and 60s went whole hog on building out car infrastructure without realizing the detrimental effect it would have on society. B.) We are often waxing nostalgic on buildings that were often substandard at best, dangerous at worst, and not suited to the modern world more typically.

I'm talking about buildings that had no indoor plumping, to zero fire safety, to just way too cramped conditions that would make sense in the 2020s. Let's not forget that a good chunk of urban renewal was removing developing world-esque slums and shantytowns from American cities.

Old 05-16-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You just put into words something I've been wondering about for a while now. I feel like a lot of the latest developments are more walled off and have less street/sidewalk/trail/public-activation than in previous years. I've also noticed that a lot of the public-facing tenants seem to be "stable" places, like doctor's offices, banks, etc. I don't pick my doctor based on being able to walk up to it. I may reject a doctor if it's impossible to get there, but I don't care where the office is otherwise.
Talked to a well-connected friend of mine this week (his business interests have bumped up against Portman's of late, and not in a good way), and it is his belief that this is EXACTLY what is going on. It's the 'multi-use' concept carried to the extreme.

Old 05-18-2024, 10:29 AM
bu2

24,132 posts, read 14,973,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Looks like Amsterdam Walk may become a flashpoint for this issue.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...c2a75d3f&ei=22
One of the problems with zoning as practiced in many American cities.

Really ridiculous reason to oppose redevelopment.

Old 05-18-2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

I don't follow. Do you mean pushing back on a developer that is funding the opposition to a Beltline Rail Line is ridiculous?

Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM

37,917 posts, read 42,135,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

How exactly is zoning that allows for higher density development in tandem with accompanying transportation infrastructure to support it problematic? And why is it ridiculous to oppose said development at a density threshold that was envisioned to be accommodated by that infrastructure in the face of emerging opposition to the latter?

Old Today, 06:28 AM

3,717 posts, read 6,009,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How exactly is zoning that allows for higher density development in tandem with accompanying transportation infrastructure to support it problematic? And why is it ridiculous to oppose said development at a density threshold that was envisioned to be accommodated by that infrastructure in the face of emerging opposition to the latter?
Wait, the existing zoning entitlement for Amsterdam Walk is predicated on Beltline Rail? Citation needed.

Old Today, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Wait, the existing zoning entitlement for Amsterdam Walk is predicated on Beltline Rail? Citation needed.
I believe he is talking in theory.

Old Today, 02:06 PM

37,917 posts, read 42,135,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
From the article linked by Iconographer:

"Neighborhoods that border the BeltLine had their zoning changed to accommodate transit oriented density because of the promise of light rail transit on the BeltLine. Most of the right-of-way along the 22-mile Beltline loop around the city’s urban core has been purchased for light rail transit. Voters approved a sales tax in 2016 to fund light rail."

Old Today, 02:50 PM

3,717 posts, read 6,009,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From the article linked by Iconographer:

"Neighborhoods that border the BeltLine had their zoning changed to accommodate transit oriented density because of the promise of light rail transit on the BeltLine. Most of the right-of-way along the 22-mile Beltline loop around the city’s urban core has been purchased for light rail transit. Voters approved a sales tax in 2016 to fund light rail."
I believe they've been C-1 with the same allowed level of density for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta