Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 12:17 PM

10 posts, read 8,878 times

Advertisements

I really hope it doesn't happen. It seems like it is going to really screw up the Eastside Beltline. I think they should try to put in a dedicate bike lane instead.

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/g...ters-fire-back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 01:22 PM

210 posts, read 454,840 times
Rail transit has been planned for the Beltline since the very beginning. If anything, it's overdue.

Old 06-25-2023, 01:33 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
I’ve been involved in numerous blue-in-the-face arguments on the subject around here, but most people are unwavering in their devotion to the idea.

My biggest problem is ruining the character of the Beltline. The space “earmarked” for transit is currently used for all sorts of other purposes: vendors, impromptu performances, scooter parking, cycling tracks through the dirt during busy periods, benches, people hanging out and talking off the side of the extremely crowded trail. Getting rid of all of this space in favor of a poorly-vetted train is nuts.

Old 06-25-2023, 01:58 PM

493 posts, read 290,683 times
This project is pretty much a done deal at this point unless political support goes away which is hard to imagine between now and 2025. I get the concerns but most of them to me sound like perfect being the enemy of good. We have a project that is fully funded, politically supported, and will improve transit mobility within the city. Yes it will change how people see and use the beltline, but that's been changing constantly since the day it opened and will continue to into the future with or without the streetcar.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:13 PM

217 posts, read 216,859 times
I am confident that light rail/streetcar to Ponce City Market -- between Krog Street Market and Ponce City Market -- will happen at some point. When... I'm not so sure; I'm thinking that it could be done by the early 2030s. I do not believe that light rail/streetcar will happen on any other sections of the Beltline for a long time, if ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I’ve been involved in numerous blue-in-the-face arguments on the subject around here, but most people are unwavering in their devotion to the idea.

My biggest problem is ruining the character of the Beltline. The space “earmarked” for transit is currently used for all sorts of other purposes: vendors, impromptu performances, scooter parking, cycling tracks through the dirt during busy periods, benches, people hanging out and talking off the side of the extremely crowded trail. Getting rid of all of this space in favor of a poorly-vetted train is nuts.
I personally feel that "it will ruin the character" is a usually a poor argument against change -- including in this case with the Beltline Eastside Trail. I'm not convinced that whatever character exists will be ruined.

In fact, I'll argue that the character of this mile-long stretch of the Beltline has already changed, and that this streetcar service will better match the existing (new) character of this area than the current state of the transit right-of-way. In the last 5 years or so, this area has transformed from a more park-like, quirky, medium-density, "in progress" area into more of a modern, futuristic, high-density, fully-developed, busy urban corridor, and I think a streetcar is a better fit for that than the do-nothing alternative.

I'm not convinced that all of the space will be lost for vendors, impromptu performances, scooter parking, benches, people hanging out and talking, etc., all of which make the Beltline a special place. No space will be lost on the east side of the trail. And though the types of activities mentioned here will be forced to become less spontaneous and more funneled into certain spaces, that might not necessarily be a bad thing for this particular segment of the trail.

Anyway, while I am generally in favor of the streetcar extension and the current proposal (for many reasons), I would personally like to see a few changes -- and to the Atlanta Streetcar itself -- before any extension of the streetcar to Ponce City Market:

1. I'd greatly prefer grass tracks instead of concrete tracks, for many reasons. Yes, grass is more expensive to maintain, but surely the Beltline, the city, and the surrounding neighborhoods can afford it. I feel that something like this (St. Charles Ave in New Orleans) is far better than the impervious concrete tracks currently proposed.

2. I'd like for the city and/or MARTA to provide dedicated lanes (instead of the current shared configuration) to the Streetcar through Sweet Auburn/Downtown, where possible, to ensure its success as a reliable transit service. If I had my way, I'd convert Edgewood Ave into a one-way, one-lane eastbound-traveling street between Peachtree St and Boulevard, and designate the other lane as transit-only. I'd do the same in the westbound direction for Auburn Ave between Boulevard and Peachtree St.

3. I'd like for the Atlanta Streetcar to better integrate with the Breeze Card payment system and the Breeze Mobile app prior to the opening of this streetcar extension. Transfers from MARTA rail stations to Downtown Streetcar stations should be free.

Old 06-25-2023, 05:47 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZ OTP View Post
I am confident that light rail/streetcar to Ponce City Market -- between Krog Street Market and Ponce City Market -- will happen at some point. When... I'm not so sure; I'm thinking that it could be done by the early 2030s. I do not believe that light rail/streetcar will happen on any other sections of the Beltline for a long time, if ever.

I personally feel that "it will ruin the character" is a usually a poor argument against change -- including in this case with the Beltline Eastside Trail. I'm not convinced that whatever character exists will be ruined.

In fact, I'll argue that the character of this mile-long stretch of the Beltline has already changed, and that this streetcar service will better match the existing (new) character of this area than the current state of the transit right-of-way. In the last 5 years or so, this area has transformed from a more park-like, quirky, medium-density, "in progress" area into more of a modern, futuristic, high-density, fully-developed, busy urban corridor, and I think a streetcar is a better fit for that than the do-nothing alternative.

I'm not convinced that all of the space will be lost for vendors, impromptu performances, scooter parking, benches, people hanging out and talking, etc., all of which make the Beltline a special place. No space will be lost on the east side of the trail. And though the types of activities mentioned here will be forced to become less spontaneous and more funneled into certain spaces, that might not necessarily be a bad thing for this particular segment of the trail.

Anyway, while I am generally in favor of the streetcar extension and the current proposal (for many reasons), I would personally like to see a few changes -- and to the Atlanta Streetcar itself -- before any extension of the streetcar to Ponce City Market:

1. I'd greatly prefer grass tracks instead of concrete tracks, for many reasons. Yes, grass is more expensive to maintain, but surely the Beltline, the city, and the surrounding neighborhoods can afford it. I feel that something like this (St. Charles Ave in New Orleans) is far better than the impervious concrete tracks currently proposed.

2. I'd like for the city and/or MARTA to provide dedicated lanes (instead of the current shared configuration) to the Streetcar through Sweet Auburn/Downtown, where possible, to ensure its success as a reliable transit service. If I had my way, I'd convert Edgewood Ave into a one-way, one-lane eastbound-traveling street between Peachtree St and Boulevard, and designate the other lane as transit-only. I'd do the same in the westbound direction for Auburn Ave between Boulevard and Peachtree St.

3. I'd like for the Atlanta Streetcar to better integrate with the Breeze Card payment system and the Breeze Mobile app prior to the opening of this streetcar extension. Transfers from MARTA rail stations to Downtown Streetcar stations should be free.
This.

Old 06-25-2023, 07:30 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post
This project is pretty much a done deal at this point unless political support goes away which is hard to imagine between now and 2025. I get the concerns but most of them to me sound like perfect being the enemy of good. We have a project that is fully funded, politically supported, and will improve transit mobility within the city. Yes it will change how people see and use the beltline, but that's been changing constantly since the day it opened and will continue to into the future with or without the streetcar.
Are you sure about all that? It's currently listed as a "Future Project" in the latest "More MARTA" plan. This plan revised the 2019 plan to address significant budgeting shortfalls. That's not unique to MARTA. Every agency has had to reevaluate timelines due to inflation and related cost increases.

https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedfil...esentation.pdf

Old 06-25-2023, 10:57 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZ OTP View Post
The latest update is 2028 at the earliest but probably end up being around the early 2030's.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
Rail transit has been planned for the Beltline since the very beginning. If anything, it's overdue.
All transit projects for Atlanta are overdue

Old 06-26-2023, 12:16 AM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta