Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 09:53 AM

10 posts, read 6,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Last week schools let out for the year and traffic was notably lighter all weekend as people head out of town for vacation. It'll be "lighter" till August; All those roads you traveled on are known for varying levels of traffic and gridlock during many or most waking hours...and nowadays also on weekends.
So where do people typically go when they head out for vacation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZ OTP View Post
Most of the "tourist" spots in Downtown Atlanta are "governed" by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority (GWCCA). This includes the Aquarium and Centennial Olympic Park. Though Centennial Olympic Park appears to be a public park -- it is most certainly not; it is effectively private property. And like any private property, the GWCCA has the power to remove unwanted individuals from their domain. The GWCCA is governed by corporate executives and (mostly Republican) state-level politicians, who have an interest in ensuring that suburban tourists are comfortable spending money at their attractions in an environment free of homelessness, drug use, and other inconvenient social problems.
Good to know! Thanks!

Old 05-31-2023, 10:11 AM

1,375 posts, read 926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjohnson763 View Post

Good to know! Thanks!
Savannah/Tybee Beach/The Golden Isles of Georgia, Panama City/Destin, Hilton Head, Great Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge/North Georgia Mountains, Lake Burton, Lake Oconee.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:47 PM

338 posts, read 299,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Savannah/Tybee Beach/The Golden Isles of Georgia, Panama City/Destin, Hilton Head, Great Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge/North Georgia Mountains, Lake Burton, Lake Oconee.

This is why we are moving to Atlanta. Its location is incredible. There are numerous road trips one can make. From lakes, oceans to mountains.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:50 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Quote:
Florida is pretty popular - panhandle down to tampa bay is a half a days drive.

My personal favorite destinations are western North Carolina, Northeast Tennessee, Southwest Virginia if I am driving.

Otherwise you can find me in the Rockies - 4 hour flight to Bozeman or Boise, with a direct daily.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
This is why we are moving to Atlanta. Its location is incredible. There are numerous road trips one can make. From lakes, oceans to mountains.
Yes, there are also cheap and short flights to NYC, Miami, and Chicago.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are also cheap and short flights to NYC, Miami, and Chicago.
Over the last 10 years, we have been going to the Caribbean. Living in Minneapolis meant waking up at 3 am to catch an early morning flight to a connecting city. Many times it was Atlanta. When we got tired of waking up early we started flying to Miami and staying in a hotel by the airport to take a flight the next day. This meant losing a day. Now we will be able to fly non-stop to the Caribbean/Latin America/Europe nonstop. Minneapolis did have Delta flights to Paris/Amsterdam but not to other locations we travel to.

Old 06-02-2023, 04:50 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
To expound on what other posters have said, the most popular vacation destinations for metro Atlantans basically are:

> The Blue Ridge Mountains, including North Georgia, WNC (Western North Carolina), Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Eastern Tennessee (including the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area of Eastern Tennessee)…

>The Florida/Alabama/Mississippi Gulf Coast, from Biloxi, MS east to Panama City, FL…

> Much of the state of Florida, including the Gulf Coast beaches of the Florida Panhandle, the Orlando area (including Disney World and other area amusement parks), the East Coast of Florida (from Jacksonville south to Daytona Beach and Miami), and the West Coast of Florida (the Florida Suncoast)…

> The North Carolina/South Carolina/Georgia South Atlantic Coast, including the North Carolina Outer Banks, Southeast North Carolina beaches, the Myrtle Beach area, Charleston and Savannah/Hilton Head.

Some metro Atlantans may fly to Colorado, including during the winter snow skiing season when some other metro Atlantans may fly to popular Eastern snow skiing destinations like Snowshoe, West Virginia (where an average of 145 inches of snow falls each year) and Vermont and New Hampshire.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:23 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
I would add Caribbean and especially Cancun to that list. It’s a super easy trip to get to a whole ton of resorts.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
Over the last 10 years, we have been going to the Caribbean. Living in Minneapolis meant waking up at 3 am to catch an early morning flight to a connecting city. Many times it was Atlanta. When we got tired of waking up early we started flying to Miami and staying in a hotel by the airport to take a flight the next day. This meant losing a day. Now we will be able to fly non-stop to the Caribbean/Latin America/Europe nonstop. Minneapolis did have Delta flights to Paris/Amsterdam but not to other locations we travel to.
I would also recommend getting Global Entry (includes TSA pre-check) and CLEAR. There's a line for the passengers with both, and I never have to wait more than 5 minutes in the security line (usually it's instant). The security lines are very long at Hartsfield.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I would also recommend getting Global Entry (includes TSA pre-check) and CLEAR. There's a line for the passengers with both, and I never have to wait more than 5 minutes in the security line (usually it's instant). The security lines are very long at Hartsfield.

Yes, we have had global entry for a long time now. Money well spent.
The funny thing is that they interview everyone including young kids/babies before granting global entry.
I remember taking my kids for an interview. My kids were trying to be comedians not knowing who they were talking with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta