Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 6,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Welcome! We moved from the twin cities 5 years ago. Yes, east Roswell is not as disireable as west. It’s not bad, but also just not as good by many measures.

Alpharetta/Milton is super hot and hard to find a place in.

I’d also look into east Cobb, Woodstock, towne lake, Kennesaw as well
How is East Roswell not as good?

Since you're from the Twin Cities...how did you adapt to the heat? Are people indoors for a good chunk of summer just like winter here?

Old 04-09-2023, 07:35 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,518,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjohnson763 View Post
East Roswell is considered by many to be less desirable than West Roswell just simply because of the increased amount of apartment housing in the area that fosters a more socioeconomically diverse population that often weighs heavily on the academic ratings of the schools in the Centennial High School cluster.

Quote:
Since you're from the Twin Cities...how did you adapt to the heat? Are people indoors for a good chunk of summer just like winter here?
I’m not from the Twin Cities, but I have spent much of my life in the Ohio River Valley region of the country where the summer humidity can be worse than in North Georgia, despite being located more than 400-500 miles to the north of Atlanta.

Because of the Atlanta area’s relatively higher elevation (much of the Atlanta area and North Georgia is located at and/or more than 1,000 feet above sea level), the summer heat and humidity often may not be quite as severe in the Atlanta area and North Georgia as it often can be at lower elevations in the greater American South.

Because of the higher elevation, daytime summer temperatures of more than 95 degrees are relatively rare in metro Atlanta and North Georgia. And though daytime summer temperatures of between 90-95 degrees are not unusual, on many (if not most) summer days high temperatures will be in the 85-90 degree range with high humidity but not necessarily the highest humidity.

On many summer days, many strenuous outdoor activities (including football practice, construction, etc.) may be shifted to either very early mornings and/or early evenings, especially on days when afternoon temperatures eclipse the 90-degree mark.

When time has to be spent outdoors in the summer heat, having an abundant supply of a good ice cold beverage (ice water, energy drinks, etc.) for frequent cold beverage breaks is one of the best ways to deal with the heat.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:43 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,709,041 times
Quote:

B2R said it well above. East roswell is disconnected from canton street, considered the life blood of roswell. It lacks some of the retail and amenities of west roswell, and lastly it has more multi family housing. Not saying any of that makes it a bad place, but it’s not on par with some of the other areas mentioned.

As far as adapting to the heat, funny enough people still hibernate indoors here in the winter, and come out in the other seasons. Meaning I still don’t see my neighbors as much in the winter down here, even though the weather is often pleasant to me.

Combo of:
Neighbor pool
Screened in porch with a ceiling fan
Getting out early morning
Just getting used to it.

Worst part are the “3 t shirt days…” meaning, you mow the lawn at 8 am, sweat through it, and the cycle repeats until you’ve sweat through 3 shirts.

But again, the summer heat isn’t as drastic from the twin cities as one might imagine.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:07 AM

271 posts, read 303,907 times
Quote:
B2R said it well above. East roswell is disconnected from canton street, considered the life blood of roswell. It lacks some of the retail and amenities of west roswell, and lastly it has more multi family housing. Not saying any of that makes it a bad place, but it’s not on par with some of the other areas mentioned.

As far as adapting to the heat, funny enough people still hibernate indoors here in the winter, and come out in the other seasons. Meaning I still don’t see my neighbors as much in the winter down here, even though the weather is often pleasant to me.

Combo of:
Neighbor pool
Screened in porch with a ceiling fan
Getting out early morning
Just getting used to it.

Worst part are the “3 t shirt days…” meaning, you mow the lawn at 8 am, sweat through it, and the cycle repeats until you’ve sweat through 3 shirts.

But again, the summer heat isn’t as drastic from the twin cities as one might imagine.
Yes, the worst is the 3 t shirt days. Mowing the lawn, taking the kids out to the park, and then going out for dinner. Good thing is that "summer" with humidity doesn't last too long. It's not an oppressive 6 month summer like you'll find in Texas or Arizona, but when it gets humid here, it's not the best time of year. Our beautiful fall/ spring (minus pollen season) make up for it!

Just to add one more thing on East Roswell-- when you drive through let's say Holcomb Bridge road, you would never think or know that E. Roswell is less desirable than W. Roswell. As others have mentioned, it's the apartments/multi unit housing that exists behind all of the tall trees. Lots of rentals in E. Roswell, which allows for a more socioeconomic mix. The SFH neighborhoods of E. Roswell are clean, safe and located strategically within the metro. If you have school aged kids, then just understand these dynamics.

E. Roswell is flanked by the prestigious Country Club of the South to the East and borders the Johns Creek High School cluster. Barnwell Elementary School for example has residents of both Roswell and Johns Creek, but can feed in to the highly acclaimed Autrey Mill Middle School and JCHS instead of Centennial High.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-10-2023, 07:15 AM

10 posts, read 6,621 times
Quote:
Is the "hibernation" during winter in Atlanta as bad as Minnesota during the winter?

Old 04-10-2023, 07:46 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,993,068 times
Quote:
Is the "hibernation" during winter in Atlanta as bad as Minnesota during the winter?
Not even 10% as bad. You'll have grey, damp, 40 degree days and sunny, crisp 60 degree days and a lot in between. It might hard freeze once or twice. That's it.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:08 AM

338 posts, read 300,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Not even 10% as bad. You'll have grey, damp, 40 degree days and sunny, crisp 60 degree days and a lot in between. It might hard freeze once or twice. That's it.
We have been in MN for 31 years. My 13-year-old refuses to wear a jacket at 40 degrees.
My 11 year old tries to wear shorts when it is above 50 degrees.
So these 40-60 degree days sound like outdoor sports weather to us.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:33 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,518,375 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
We have been in MN for 31 years. My 13-year-old refuses to wear a jacket at 40 degrees.
My 11 year old tries to wear shorts when it is above 50 degrees.
So these 40-60 degree days sound like outdoor sports weather to us.
These comments raise the point that in Georgia and in much of the greater American South, the spring sports season (particularly for spring sports like baseball, lacrosse and college softball) typically starts in early-mid February or as early as late January (for soccer)… While in a Northern locale like Minnesota, the spring sports season typically does not begin until April.

… Which the roughly two-month difference between the start of the spring sports seasons in a southern state like Georgia and a northern state like Minnesota should give Minnesotans an idea of how winter often is approached by Georgians.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:16 PM

204 posts, read 136,216 times
Quote:
Thank you for the replies. I am seeing the importance of knowing where we would be commuting to but the northern suburbs do seem like the best fit for us.

The reason I mentioned being close to downtown as I could see our family traveling down there more often as we look to explore a new city. Which option is better to get downtown during non rush hour times...141 or 400?
Why on Earth would anyone want to take two one-year-old children to downtown Atlanta? When I was a child we had to go downtown to see the pediatrician and to shop at Rich's and Macy's (then Davison's). But to put two one-year-olds into a car and take them downtown when you don't have to? Why?

Old 04-10-2023, 09:48 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,993,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
Why on Earth would anyone want to take two one-year-old children to downtown Atlanta? When I was a child we had to go downtown to see the pediatrician and to shop at Rich's and Macy's (then Davison's). But to put two one-year-olds into a car and take them downtown when you don't have to? Why?
Uh the Aquarium, Children’s Museum, Botanical Garden, and Fernbank all are elite places to take little kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta