Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 08:11 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have mentioned many times here my disdain for Easter. Usually, I work Easter weekend and make extra $$ but since I am now semi-retired, I decided not to offer my services this past weekend. (As in, I did not want to)
SO instead, I signed up online for the American Atheists Convention and spent the weekend on the computer in chat rooms, panel groups, and meeting other fine atheists from the world over. I will plan to attend the convention in person next year. (Because I want to)
I admire the work the people were doing, more for a community than I can or have done so far, but the inspiration to be more involved in community outreach programs which are Humanist based was what I needed. It is not about sending a check in or dropping off food at the food drive. Throwing money at a problem is often not the solution. Going out and helping box up the food, deliver it to families, handing out clothing items, THOSE are the things I need to get to doing more.

THAT was a good use of the Easter Weekend.
Jesus would approve, KingCat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 12:51 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
It's more worthwhile that you, as a thinking human, approve than that a mythical being in an old book be claimed to approve.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:57 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That sounds admirable use of an Easter more than chanting a doleful dirge or two and going home feeling justified, until a refill is needed.
LOL, I doubt most devout believers would say that's their experience.

I had not been to a church service since sometime last summer. I went to a sunrise service on Easter. There were five people present plus the priest and the deacon, with a few others on Zoom. Felt nothing, except I did like the "lighting of the new fire" (a pile of kindling in a grill) outside of the church before the service, which I suspect was originally a Pagan practice. This priest could set Jesus and all 12 apostles to snoring in the pews.

Then I met my daughter at my mother's grave. She wanted to give my mother a hyacinth as she did when her grandmother was living, because even though she is not religious whatsoever, Easter was Grandma's favorite holiday and she was unable to attend the funeral last year because of COVID travel restrictions. The cemetery was pretty busy.

I then noted a possible resurrection: The plaque on my brother's grave, adjacent to that of my parents', had disappeared. There is still no thick grass over the family plot. Thought maybe when they put the dirt back of my mothers spot, they might have buried his marker, but kicking up the dirt where it should have been didn't reveal anything, and I didn't want to do too much digging what with all the other people in the proximity.

My brother was a straight-up atheist since he was a kid, but he took communion from a Catholic priest who offered it the night before he died, I suspect to give some comfort to his daughter. Hey, maybe it worked!

The general consensus of my other brothers was that he had likely gone somewhere to get a drink. His daughter said the plaque was there when she visited in February. I guess we have to call the office.

The upside to all this is that I've had my daughter and her French bulldog staying with me for three days. I hadn't seen her since last October, so all in all, Easter this year wasn't bad.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:25 AM

LOL, I doubt most devout believers would say that's their experience. "

I can only say 'It's mine'. I can only also add that Christmas was always magical and something to look forward to and I still recapture it in part by paying the Christmass Oratorio around that time. I can only also note that harvest festival at the local parish church was always a happy occasion with cheery, optimistic songs and the local Hobbitton produce (plus a few tins) on the church altar. I might only also additionally add that I recall Easter church services as being dreary and doleful with the most miserable hymns that Victorian stultification could devise, and glad I was to give it up. especially when I tumbled the easter egg scam where £2 worth of chocolate was made into an Easter gift costing £5. And I might only additionally also remark that Hot X buns are available all year round at your local supermart, rollback prices, get 'em while they're hot, which is why I have no need for religious festivals. Any part of them worth having, I can have any day.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-07-2021 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-07-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
It's more worthwhile that you, as a thinking human, approve than that a mythical being in an old book be claimed to approve.
As hard as it was for me to accept, we are all One, Arq!!!

Old 04-07-2021, 02:17 PM

are I ask: "One What?"

Old 04-07-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
are I ask: "One What?"
One Being.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:58 PM

19,017 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Belief is steadily decreasing and as people become more educated they will realize it’s not possible for God to exist. Churches are big business and will keep trying to recruit people.
OR people are too smug to accept that something greater than their own ego might exist.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:36 PM

11,026 posts, read 5,978,490 times
I always thought Easter was a extra long weekend! Nice long break from school and nice long break from work. Time to chill or go camping or earn extra bucks. Double pay for for Friday, Sunday and Monday!

Old 04-11-2021, 08:47 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I always thought Easter was a extra long weekend! Nice long break from school and nice long break from work. Time to chill or go camping or earn extra bucks. Double pay for for Friday, Sunday and Monday!
Is that a thing in NZ? I would get REAL excited about Easter if that were a thing in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism