Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 11:05 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times

Advertisements

In yesterday's LA Times there was an OpEd piece that basically said 'Shame on you, Arizona."

Right next to the OpEd were several letters to the editor that basically said, "Yay for you, Arizona!"

Old 04-17-2010, 12:33 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
In yesterday's LA Times there was an OpEd piece that basically said 'Shame on you, Arizona."

Right next to the OpEd were several letters to the editor that basically said, "Yay for you, Arizona!"
Memo to the LA Times: shame on you! Treasonous Un-American illegal alien supporters.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:07 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,197 times
I work at the county hospital which treats illegals. There are two sides to this law--1st I totally agree that there has to be an answer to the illegal problem but on the flip side of it, all these county hospital workers are seeing a decline in patient care which will eventually lead to lay offs. This is pretty scarey for the person that is sole support of their family and depend on a check from the county hospital. During the last month or so has been a huge decline in patient care and countless days of being cancelled, no more pto time, no pay!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:30 PM

555 posts, read 876,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
On another website I go to there's a forum for the Border Patrol that I've been visiting for a couple of years now. A great many recent accepted applicants have been scheduled for southern AZ. It can take up to two years to even be accepted for the Border Patrol, then they have six months of training at the academy and then they work at their assigned sector for at least ten months. They are extremely picky about who is accepted. So, even if the Border Patrol ups their body count it can take a long time to put it all in place.

There was a discussion about placing the military at the border as well. It is not only National Guard but other military as well, including Air Force and air power. One of the biggest concerns seems to be about how they'll manage that many new people with the resources available. Building new bases, water availability, protecting the environment, etc. etc.. They want the help but there seems to be many concerns that will need to be addressed. It won't be an overnight solution, for sure. They are VERY concerned about the ranchers in the area and how it will all affect them.

I'll keep going to that forum and stay informed about what's happening.

And whatever happened to the bill that was passed to keep employers in check? Did that go by the wayside? Did employers just decide to ignore it and take their chances? I don't hear anything about it anymore.
Over half of the Border Patrol are Hispanic. There are hundreds of open cases involving corruption by Border Patrol Agents. The Drug Cartels are openly trying to recruit Hispanics to join the Border Patrol:

http://cbs11tv.com/local/Only.fraction.of.2.1554121.html

Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Over half of the Border Patrol are Hispanic. There are hundreds of open cases involving corruption by Border Patrol Agents. The Drug Cartels are openly trying to recruit Hispanics to join the Border Patrol:

http://cbs11tv.com/local/Only.fracti...2.1554121.html
Being familiar with the hiring process for a Border Patrol officer I find this hard to believe. Yes, I have heard of A FEW corrupt BP people but the drug cartels can't 'recruit' Hispanics to join up. What they are doing is trying to bribe and corrupt already working BP officers and, yes, sometimes it works. And I don't believe for a minute that over half of the BP are Hispanic. Some are, yes, but not over half. They come from all over the United States.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:56 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,357 times
<I work at the county hospital which treats illegals>

So may I ask,, who pays for this? Their care is free, no??

Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 AM

453 posts, read 1,628,197 times
regardless of who pays for this, there will be many legals people out of work here. I don't agree with the way things are and know that things need to change, but after all, we are legal here and working to support families.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Being familiar with the hiring process for a Border Patrol officer I find this hard to believe. Yes, I have heard of A FEW corrupt BP people but the drug cartels can't 'recruit' Hispanics to join up. What they are doing is trying to bribe and corrupt already working BP officers and, yes, sometimes it works. And I don't believe for a minute that over half of the BP are Hispanic. Some are, yes, but not over half. They come from all over the United States.
"James Tomsheck, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection assistant commissioner, told the panel the drug cartels operating in Mexico are making a concerted effort to infiltrate CBP, and the agency is responding with more screening of job applicants with polygraph tests and background investigations. Corruption cases were opened last year on 576 CBP officers and Border Patrol agents."

Link to this story:

Mexican military copter over U.S. neighborhood

Over half are Hispanic link:

Hispanics hold 52 percent of Border Patrol jobs | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

What say you now?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:49 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
"James Tomsheck, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection assistant commissioner, told the panel the drug cartels operating in Mexico are making a concerted effort to infiltrate CBP, and the agency is responding with more screening of job applicants with polygraph tests and background investigations. Corruption cases were opened last year on 576 CBP officers and Border Patrol agents."

Link to this story:

Mexican military copter over U.S. neighborhood

Over half are Hispanic link:

Hispanics hold 52 percent of Border Patrol jobs | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

What say you now?
For one thing I notice that all these stories are from the Texas border so I can see how a Mexican helicopter COULD come over the line. I also know that Texas has a MUCH bigger problem with the drug cartels than we do so, yeah, I expect there'll be more stories from there.

The second article is from 2008 and a LOT has happened since then. When it says they are doing more polygraphs and background checks, I don't know how they could do more than what they do when someone applies. But I can understand the polygraph if they SUSPECT an agent of something. They do all of that BEFORE anyone is even accepted to the academy. You have NO idea how thorough they are and even a simple DUI conviction can keep them out. If the Texas border has 52% Hispanic officers, maybe there's a reason that I don't know. But I do know that they come from all over the US.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
For one thing I notice that all these stories are from the Texas border so I can see how a Mexican helicopter COULD come over the line. I also know that Texas has a MUCH bigger problem with the drug cartels than we do so, yeah, I expect there'll be more stories from there.

The second article is from 2008 and a LOT has happened since then. When it says they are doing more polygraphs and background checks, I don't know how they could do more than what they do when someone applies. But I can understand the polygraph if they SUSPECT an agent of something. They do all of that BEFORE anyone is even accepted to the academy. You have NO idea how thorough they are and even a simple DUI conviction can keep them out. If the Texas border has 52% Hispanic officers, maybe there's a reason that I don't know. But I do know that they come from all over the US.
The stories are from Texas newspapers, but the statistics are national. Since that 2008 article, there are now close to 60% Hispanic Border Patrol Agents. This should not be surprising, since bilingual is a requirement. They will teach you Spanish if you don't know it already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona