Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,353,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichoptops View Post
They tried that,,,,,,,,,was not profitable.

The village is PRIVATELY owned. In the past few years the person/company that owned it got into a big p*ssing match with the city and was not interested in really working with anyone, in fact, the whole area almost became condos. You can research it if you want the whole story.

The new owners are trying to bring back the area with businesses (even I was approached on starting a venture there). I wish them all luck. It wont end up being anything "English" themed, but more likely lake oriented stuff. The biggest issue down there is pretty simple, and follows the same reason Kokomos is only open for "summer months". ALL the shops down there only make money during the summer. Winter visitors simply don't spend money, they just walk around. So the issue is coming up with a business that will create enough revenue from March (spring break) till Labor day, to have it survive over the starving winter months, same as Kokomos does.

There has been talk of bars and resteraunts in there, but to compete with Kokos, Heat, Javalina Cantina, will probably be a business that wont survive long. As much as EVERYONE would like the village to be returned to its glory days, no one wants to start a business doomed for failure. I looked into it all extensively when I was approached.
Quote:
Also, I don't know how much history of the bridge you know, but the reason the bridge was brought over was not only a tourist attraction, but was actually cheaper to bring one over that was being torn down than to build a new one.
Quite sad then, really.

Sounds like someone's originally wonderful idea has been dropped like a hot potato, and replaced by the usual suspects: GREED and its sidekicks: LACK of VISION & LACK of ORIGINALITY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM

57 posts, read 279,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Quite sad then, really.

Sounds like someone's originally wonderful idea has been dropped like a hot potato, and replaced by the usual suspects: GREED and its sidekicks: LACK of VISION & LACK of ORIGINALITY!
Greed is one thing, making enough profit to stay alive is another. I don't think people are trying to retire in 3 years in the village, but not losing your house would be nice.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,353,340 times
Quote:
Greed is one thing, making enough profit to stay alive is another. I don't think people are trying to retire in 3 years in the village, but not losing your house would be nice.
Gotcha...

Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Somewhat offtopic here: Havasu is hurting badly according to some people there I know.

Sad because it was a really neat place 20 years ago due to the eclectic/relatively affluent and educated folks back then. Read that the type of place where the CEO of the hospital would be down at the lake's edge drinking a few beers alongside the minimum wage gas station attendant according to the old timers.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Somewhat offtopic here: Havasu is hurting badly according to some people there I know.

Sad because it was a really neat place 20 years ago due to the eclectic/relatively affluent and educated folks back then. Read that the type of place where the CEO of the hospital would be down at the lake's edge drinking a few beers alongside the minimum wage gas station attendant according to the old timers.
It is, and like many places it will get way worse before. Small towns that arent close to much get hit hardest first.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
It is, and like many places it will get way worse before. Small towns that arent close to much get hit hardest first.
Very true. Also LHC 20 years ago was actually more diversified; economically speaking i.e. McCullough was still making product there, etc.

And the irony was that Kingman was the 'red headed stepchild' of Mohave County back then----------here in 2010 the roles between it and LHC have essentially reversed.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Very true. Also LHC 20 years ago was actually more diversified; economically speaking i.e. McCullough was still making product there, etc.

And the irony was that Kingman was the 'red headed stepchild' of Mohave County back then----------here in 2010 the roles between it and LHC have essentially reversed.
The really sad part is, there are few/no jobs here. I know everywhere claims that, but if one looks through the paper in a metro or in larger cities, there are jobs. They might pay for squat, and it is definately supply and demand, but there are jobs. Other than medical, look in Havasu for a job,,,,,,, nothing. Many people I know here simply cant find work, and they have held on as long as they could for the economy and now cant even afford to leave.

When I go to the Phx area, yep, you can find LOTS of houses for sale, but a quick drive around Havasu will make you gasp. I live in a cul-de-sac with 6 houses,,,,,,,,, only the house I'm in and the one next door have residents living in them,,,,, and we are moving next month.

Part of the blame definately belongs to the city and the "powers that be". A long time ago Havasu was a family tourist town. Then it started to get the "rep" of a party town. You had Girls Gone Wild, MTV, MANY beer sponsers and BIG names doing spring break and other party holidays here. The city was making money hand over fist. Well, a few of those in charge decided to get rid of the sprink break type people by enforcing morality laws. Places like Copper Canyon were quickly forced to go G-rated by the boys on blue water. Soon, big names like MTV said buh bye,,,,,, along with their $$$$$. I've watched the past few years Havasu pathetically try to bring spring break back, but as most of you know, once you chase the money away, it is hard to bring back.

Now, throw in the economy troubles, the "doomed for failure from the begining" sewer system (and its outragous fees), a slightly corupt (ok, more than slightly) city council, cops that love to target the tourists we do get, and a city attourny and mayor that couldn't get a coin toss right 1 out of 100 throws, let alone city issue choices,,,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,,,,, you reap what you sow.

We moved to Havasu 3 years ago because we had been visiting for 20 years and loved it. We thought it was a big car town, and it is like Sturges is a bike town,,,,, 1-2 weeks of the year. We are now leaving pretty disillusioned.

If you make your money independantly (like online) then it would be a good place to live. If you have a boat, you have water. If you are a boozer, there are MANY bars here. Other than that,,,,,,,,, well, I guess you can look at the bridge, and the Village and remember its glory days.

And yes, my spelling sucks

Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM

9 posts, read 21,872 times
I started this thread and feel I have to interject. Havasu is in a gorgeous spot. Really, when you first drop down into the town from the highway, it's quite breathtaking. And it's a wonderful refuge in the winter - way warmer than Vegas, less windy than Laughlin, prettier than Yuma. When I first started going there ten years ago, I always thought it would become a mini Palm Springs, but with water. A vacation/snowbird haven in the winter and a water-lover's paradise in the summer. It does have the only lake in the midst of a parched desert.

I'd come there in winter and stay for about a month. I'd rent a townhouse on the island or a house (with a view and pool of course!) in the hills. And, contrary to an earlier post that said winter tourists don't spend money, I did. I'd drop $1500 or so on my lodging, go shopping in the grocery stores, eat at local restaurants virtually every day, buy some clothes, get gas for my car etc, etc.

But after you spend some time in a given spot, you do begin to notice its warts. For me, the biggest wart of all was the English Village. Even back then, it seemed like a place that didn't know what it wanted to be. The whole English theme seemed so hackneyed, and much of it seemed in disrepair. I was aware of the whole London Brige thing and I researched Havasu's hstory enough to know the reasoning behind it. But 30 years had passed since then and the Village just seemed so lost in the past. I mean, really, who goes to an established desert-meets-lake town in the American southwest for a "Hello Guv'nor" and mushy pea soup? I never understood why the Village hadn't moved beyond that and hadn't instead capitalized on the natural environment. Tourism is and always will be a huge part of Havasu, and people go there to revel in the sunshine and desert and lake. They don't go there for a worn down, worn out taste of England.

Then there's the Island. Love the walking/biking path that circumnavigates it, but the interior of the island where the airport once stood always seemed so...messy. Ugly old hunks of conrete, old structures that no longer served a purpose, big mounds of loose dirt. And a long fence to confine people to the perimeter. Could never figure that out. I often wondered why some of it hadn't been turned into a park. That area, along with the land where the Village still stands, is Havasu's hub. It, of all places within the city, should be vivacious and full of life.

I also never understood Havasu's lodging. I get that hotels and motels play second fiddle to the renting of private homes and condos. But does that mean that so many of the hotels/motels have to be so...nasty? I remember the first few times I stayed in Havasu, wondering why every hotel outside of perhaps two or three felt so cheap and run down. Here was this beautiful spot with all these one-star facilities. Even the town's most upscale lodging - London Bridge Resort - seemed old and antiquated. And don't get me started on the shopping district. There really is none. It's kinda spread out everywhere. Sure, there are a few shopping malls, but there's really no central walking/shopping/socializing spot where out-of-towners would gravitate toward.

I dunno - I guess the local government sees it differently than I do, and I'm certainly no economist. But IMO, the town will never have a huge industrial base. It's a place that should be proud of its tourist/snowbird appeal and build itself thusly. Emphasize the water and the natural surroundings. Add some canoe and kayak rental shops. Dedicate an area (the English Village seems appropriate) for local artists and artisans to show off their stuff and in so doing, build an arts culture. There are so many ways to turn things around.

I still love it there. There are very few spots like it anywhere in the desert. But it seems Havasu is the victim of poor planning, city council infighting, and a lack of foresight and vision.

But then again, I don't live there. So I'm probably way off base. My apologies if I've come across like some know-it-all tourist.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordholio99 View Post
And don't get me started on the shopping district. There really is none. It's kinda spread out everywhere. Sure, there are a few shopping malls, but there's really no central walking/shopping/socializing spot where out-of-towners would gravitate toward.
That was the intention of the new mall, was it not? Have you been to it yet?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That was the intention of the new mall, was it not? Have you been to it yet?
I think the new mall and the truck stop were much needed in LHC. I'm also happy about the new shopping center in Bullhead City. I wish they would open an Olive Garden in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona