Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:11 AM

19 posts, read 216,067 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Woodland Valley Ranch or the St. Johns area? I came across them on my web searches for Arizona land. A company called First United Realty seems to be rep for the land sales...I'm looking for someplace to eventually be self sufficient ... organic farm, goats, chickens..the whole 9 yards. Supposedly there is water being that its over the Coconino Aquifer, which appearantly is a good thing as far as for well purposes. I'm trying to find someplace (was also considering Prescott Valley/Chino Valley since I have family there) but prices can be somewhat nuts there now.
Thanks for your help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 12:37 AM

218 posts, read 1,486,931 times
St. Johns area is fairly remote and very small town. Can't speak on how well goats, chickens, organic gardening, etc does there.
It is fairly dry, so good well water access is a must. Here in the Tucson area, it is not uncommon to drill over 700 feet to our aquifer,
but that may be a different story up at St. Johns. Others thoughts?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:22 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
I have a friend who own acreage threre and I have been there a couple times. It is a barren WINDY place with a few juniper pinon trees scattered around. The pictures you see on the web site are not representative ov most lots. They are not nearly as nice.

It is open range country. There are cattle roaming everywhere including on your property. I was there helping my buddy put barbed wire fence up.

As for fruit trees, well I suppose that is possible. You could put in a well and the groundwater is not all that deep. But there is no electricity to run the well. There may be a transmission line near some lots but APS will extend only a short distance and you pay the rest. $$$. There are a couple trailers scattered around. Like my friend, they use solar panels, generator, and haul water. I don't know if anyone is actually living there full-time. If so, he would have to be a hermit or someone who truly enjoys solitude. It's an off-the-grid existence.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,288 times
I don't think you would have much luck growing vegetables in that climate. According to Sunset's Western Garden Book it's in the second-coldest western climate zone. You can google "sunset climate zones arizona" for more info.

I think you'll find a good combination of soil and climate in an old flood plain in climate zone 10. There are a few isolated communities near Prescott that don't have paved roads to them. You might have some luck finding them if you have access to a good Arizona map collection.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 PM

Thanks, actually my neighbor said the same thing. He just went out to Prescott last month and his brother took him to a bunch of out of the way places to look at land.... I may have to fire up the 4x4

Old 04-26-2007, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 52,564 times
Default Woodland Valley Ranch Land

I purchased a lot in the Woodland Valley Ranch area. It's grassy and sandy loam. Everything should grow. Not sure why people are telling you no. The winds can be horrendous, get some trees planted. Water should not be a problem, the Coconino is a very large Acquifer. The transaction was fast and pretty much trouble free. You can not purchase land in AZ without viewing it. I love the area, and plan to do pretty much what you're planning. Raise hay for my horses and be self sufficient. You will need a 4 wheel drive and most of the flatter areas are in a 100 year flood plane. Depending on how much you want to spend, depends on whether you have hills and junipers and pionion pines or just the grasses like I have.
I live in Washington state,the south east side, both areas and weather are similar, fruit trees will be able to grow, apples, apricotts, plums and pears. Citrus probably not. It's beautiful property.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:04 PM

Thanks Alyson57...i'm tossing around the idea. The prices seem right, I mean for godsake my car cost more than some of the parcels up there...I figure at the least if I never plan on living there It would be a place to get away to. I'm just hearing my grandfathers words "if your not gonna grow anything and just look at it, its a waste of good dirt"

Old 04-27-2007, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 52,564 times
I like your grandfather. One thing to consider, the NAFTA Super Hwy systems going in a few states away. I-40 which runs close to Woodland Valley Ranch is slated to be a major contributary between the NAFTA Super Hwy and the CanaMex Corridor Hwy. The CanaMex already exists and is the reason the west side of AZ land value increased over 600% in the last few years. Wish I'd bought more land in 2004. I bought land on the Wagon Bow in 2004 and it exploded in value. I'm not that happy about that, so have taxes. The value of the Wagon Bow property may put taxes into an area where I have to sell that piece of land. I've spent years looking for property in AZ to retire on. I have horses, my family lives in So. Calif. I wanted to reside closer to them and couldn't afford horses and Calif. land. AZ was the next best deal. I bought Wagon Bow, then bought the Woodland Valley Ranch lot, water will not be a problem there, Wagon Bow may have difficulties in years to come. So far all wells have hit good water. Moderator cut: realtor link It's expensive compared to Woodland Valley but is in a warmer climate, west of Prescott and below Kingman. It's up in the Aquarious Mt's, about 4800' so not abjectly sweltering like Phoenix/Tuscon areas.
Long story short, even if you did buy the lot to look at, it will appreciate and nothing wrong with watching your money grow instead of vegetables.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 25,139 times
Default Woodland Valley Ranch

I own 36 acres on Woodland Valley Ranch. The Coconino acquifer is around 600 feet down +or- 250 ft. The final section of the ranch is being sold now.

Cost to drill was $18 per foot which may have gone up since I purchased 2 years ago. Elevation is around 6,000 ft.

First United Realty is took 10% down and financed my balance at 10%. HOA dues $160 per yr., mostly for dirt road maintenance.

CC&Rs state no commercial enterprise can be located on Woodland Valley Ranch land.

Keith H.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 27,978 times
Default Woodland Valley Ranch info

My Wife and I purchased a 40 arce lot there two years ago. Our parcle is mostly flat land. Elevation is appx 6000'. Annual fee for dirt road maintanenace is about $150 year.

One very nice feature is that some lots like mine face BLM or state land. This way when I do build I won't have anyone for a mile in front of me.

As far a St John's, It's a tiny town, but I found it to be very freindly. They have had only one murder in twenty years. Coming from LA, that sound great to me.

The aquafer has be tested and is suitable for drinking. Most wells from what I was told are drilled to 250-400 feet.

Hope that helps,

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona