Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 10:53 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Yet you still are required to pay the taxes for public schools. Can you opt out on that? That would be a likely No, you cannot. Many parents that want choice over public school offerings would indeed like to see their mandated tax dollars follow their children's education. In fact I would wager most parents would want that. You are likely an anomaly.

It is also required that childless retirees such as myself still pay for our local county schools, even if I dont have children or grandchildren in the schools, and never will. I am OK with that as I want those children around me, whose parents accept the local public schools (and any inherent limitations in those schools) to get some type of education. If there is evidence of political indoctrination coming into the schools, (like is obvious in some areas), my personal view on supporting local public schools here in Yavapai county would change pretty quickly. A big chunk of my personal property taxes goes to our local community college also. After looking at their curriculum and policies, I am OK with that also, as those all look reasonable.
Aren't there some areas around the Valley such as Sun City exempt from taxes going to schools in those retirement enclaves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 02:35 PM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Aren't there some areas around the Valley such as Sun City exempt from taxes going to schools in those retirement enclaves?
If that is the case, I am unaware of it. Maybe zoned out of any school zones? Im not sure.

I do pay attention to the county/city I live and pay taxes in. I voted in the last Prescott Unified School District elections, and voted against the few "woke" types running, as did most others here. So it worked out for the best.

I do believe in an educated populace in K-12 is a good thing overall and think we should support it.

But.....If public schools cant educate (yes parents also play a part here for sure), or if they indoctrinate which sadly does happen more and more, then parents tax dollars should follow them to their choice of schools. Public schools will likely strive to do better in the bad areas if funding is connected. I see too much complacency with social promotions, playing games with testing criteria, social justice "values" applied to discipline, etc.....

Old 03-02-2024, 09:17 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I don't think anyone has posted about this yet - that suddenly we're hundreds of millions in the hole, mostly because of the idea of school vouchers even to parents who not only can afford to pay for private school themselves, but have been doing so all long. In other words, a giveaway to people who don't need it.

The Bill for School Voucher Bait-and-Switch Is Coming Due
https://www.thenation.com/article/so...state-budgets/

Arizona School Voucher Enrollment Exceeds Budget Estimate
Voucher critics say the program is on track to blow up the state budget
https://www.the74million.org/article...dget-estimate/

One year in, Arizona’s universal school vouchers are a cautionary tale
https://www.tucsonsentinel.com/opini...e-rest-nation/

Arizona lawmakers face big deficit due mostly to massive tax cut and school voucher expansion
https://news.azpm.org/s/97914-arizon...her-expansion/
Does this have anything to do with a Democratic Governor?

Old 03-02-2024, 10:28 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Sun City, Sun Lakes, and most of Sun City West are exempt from paying school taxes due to not being located in any unified school districts. Sun City Grand is technically in the city limits of Surprise, so they're not tax exempt. Age restricted communities have been popular among the over 65 crowd for very good reasons, and one of those reasons is not being forced to throw their money away on public schools which they have no use for. The problem with these communities is they're restricted ... not only on age limits, but on availability. They're pretty much built out, so it can be a waiting game to get into a Sun City community unless denser, multi story development happens, or more existing home sales occur.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona