Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 12:46 PM

342 posts, read 318,581 times

Advertisements

We send our children to private schools and would directly benefit from a school voucher system. But I don’t agree with such a system. The taxpayers shouldn’t subsidize my choice to send my kids to private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 01:32 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
"The States money"?
That's our tax money. As soon as someone identifies "our money" as the "States money" you know they don't have a clue.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:04 PM

2,007 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So it's okay if I don't want to pay for public streets in your neighborhood. Or public sewage systems, public water systems, public police...the list is endless.
Everyone uses public streets, sewage systems, water, police etc. Not everyone has children attending school. I'm all for my taxes going to education. But, I believe people having children should pay more. They put the burden on the system not me.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:07 AM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The above mentioned items benefit everybody, but public schools only benefit the K through 12 age group (and of course their parents). Besides, the combination of everything you listed is less costly to taxpayers than education is. Not only does education rank the highest among state expenditures, property owners are required to subsidize it for their districts. This is even considering that Arizona ranks low in the nation for per pupil funding. It's an enormous cost burden, and it's made worse by the fact that public schools in general are mediocre at best. There's very little accountability and tremendous waste in this system.
No, that's just not true. Having an educated populace benefits everyone.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Everyone uses public streets, sewage systems, water, police etc. Not everyone has children attending school. I'm all for my taxes going to education. But, I believe people having children should pay more. They put the burden on the system not me.
Virtually every person that you meet and deal with everyday has gone to school. I've been in countries where that's not true.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:50 AM

1,044 posts, read 540,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
While I am vehemently against big government, I do think they have an important role to play. I believe public education is one of them. Could you imagine that state of our country if everyone had to pay for their children's education? 60% of kids just probably wouldn't go to school. Talk about becoming a third-world country.

And this is coming from a family that homeschools our children.
Per the bolded, this is true.

BUT, many public schools need to do better. Some are so bad, parents want a choice for good reasons.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:07 AM

1,044 posts, read 540,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
We send our children to private schools and would directly benefit from a school voucher system. But I don’t agree with such a system. The taxpayers shouldn’t subsidize my choice to send my kids to private schools.

Yet you still are required to pay the taxes for public schools. Can you opt out on that? That would be a likely No, you cannot. Many parents that want choice over public school offerings would indeed like to see their mandated tax dollars follow their children's education. In fact I would wager most parents would want that. You are likely an anomaly.

It is also required that childless retirees such as myself still pay for our local county schools, even if I dont have children or grandchildren in the schools, and never will. I am OK with that as I want those children around me, whose parents accept the local public schools (and any inherent limitations in those schools) to get some type of education. If there is evidence of political indoctrination coming into the schools, (like is obvious in some areas), my personal view on supporting local public schools here in Yavapai county would change pretty quickly. A big chunk of my personal property taxes goes to our local community college also. After looking at their curriculum and policies, I am OK with that also, as those all look reasonable.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:24 AM

2,007 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Virtually every person that you meet and deal with everyday has gone to school. I've been in countries where that's not true.
What's your point? I've also been to other countries where that's not true. What does that have to do with this topic?

Old 02-29-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
What's your point? I've also been to other countries where that's not true. What does that have to do with this topic?
I'm talking about the fact that an educated society is usually more effective than an uneducated society. And public schools in the United States began in 1635.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:33 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
It is the lack of accountability at the public schools that started the charter school revolution. It does appear that the only way to get rid of corrupt, unaccountable schools is to stop sending students to them. If that constitutes "dismantling public schools," then so be it.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. A "school" isn't corrupt. People are corrupt. I know of no case involving a public school where there was massive wrong-doing on the scale of charter schools. And, additionally, there is indeed accountability as the top people are elected officials. There are certainly people running for office to counter the current problems - have you read up on them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona