Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 PM

168 posts, read 502,630 times

Advertisements

Wow...that is some good sites Ken. Do you have any info on how deep the water is in the wells around the area?

Also, how well do you like the area? I think if I went to visit, I would never want to come back home.lol

Here is some more pics of my yard from last year.
"http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50...e/100_1281.jpg" "http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50...e/100_1279.jpg"

-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:47 PM

Has anyone here ever driven on East Rock rd? That is where my propety is and I bought it sight unseen. Just wondering how that area is? It southeast of pearce.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertZone View Post
Wow...that is some good sites Ken. Do you have any info on how deep the water is in the wells around the area?

Also, how well do you like the area? I think if I went to visit, I would never want to come back home.lol

Here is some more pics of my yard from last year.
"http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50...e/100_1281.jpg" "http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50...e/100_1279.jpg"

-Aaron
Yeah, you're definitely ready for desert landscaping.

Well, I can't say anything about well depth in Pearce/Sunsites and the depth in our area is really not relevent, but just for grins I can tell you that water depth in our area is around 325 feet (though there is apparently plenty of it in our area - again, can't say about Sunsites.

We like our area alot, but have to say that I liked Sunsites alot too - but it's a bit mroe remote than we wanted.

Since you have not actually seen it - I do have a few photos I took of the development that I can post.

Ken

Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Has anyone here ever driven on East Rock rd? That is where my propety is and I bought it sight unseen. Just wondering how that area is? It southeast of pearce.
How far SE of Pearce? I'm trying to find it on a map but with no success.

Ken

Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
How far SE of Pearce? I'm trying to find it on a map but with no success.

Ken
It's about 6 miles? I seen it on the weather map you have posted from the weather underground site. I think I strolled straight down. It is about the last part of the sunsites area going south.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I do have a few photos I took of the development that I can post.

Ken
Any pics of the area you can post would be appreciated.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
It's about 6 miles? I seen it on the weather map you have posted from the weather underground site. I think I strolled straight down. It is about the last part of the sunsites area going south.
OK, I see it now.

We didn't go that far south in the Sunsites complex, instead we were in the main developed section around the golf course.

Here's a few photos we took of that section.
Note that these were taken in mid-January so everything is brown

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Pearce Arizona any thoughts???????-pict6096.jpg   Pearce Arizona any thoughts???????-pict6098a.jpg   Pearce Arizona any thoughts???????-pict6094a.jpg   Pearce Arizona any thoughts???????-pict6100a.jpg  

Old 06-15-2008, 02:53 PM

Thanks for posting the pics and all your help about the area, I feel better about mt purchase.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:10 PM

11 posts, read 39,243 times
Default Pearce memories and facts!

Perhaps if my grandfather had retained those rocks he found on that hill and gave to Johnny Pearce to get assayed the name of Pearce might have been Price instead! My grandfather and his brothers told me that their dad, Jim Price, who worked for the Chiricahua Cattle Co. (CCC) in the Kansas Settlement all told me that their dad had given those rocks to Johnny Pearce to have them assayed in Tombstone and when Johnny found out they were almost pure gold, he staked his claim in his name and gave Jim a job hauling timbers to the mine out of the Chiricahua Mountains! He finally got tired of that and left the country leaving his wife Mary with 10 kids of her own and 1 other that she also raised. She homesteaded just west and south of the Sanders ranch at the base of the Chiricahua Mountains along Turkey Creek. When her children got older, she left the older one's to look over the younger one's and she would hook up her mules to a wagon and go to Douglas every Monday morning to the railroad station roundhouse where she would cook for the workers all week long and then make the trip back to Turkey Creek every Friday to be with her children over the weekend! That trip, as the "crow flies" was about 50 miles each way! When my grandfather, Ike, got old enough to be on his own he homesteaded further west on Turkey creek, down in the "flats" with the ranch headquarter located about 2 miles west of where Turkey Creek and Rock Creek come together just west of what is now Highway 181. On the Price Ranch headquarters were two homes built from gypsum block that was hauled from Gleeson, AZ and was originally used as the Gleeson Hospital in it's "heyday"! Ike and Von's only child was Gail Price (married to Lucille Latimer) who was my father. My dad and grandad had big rodeo's on that ranch from 1929 until about 1941 when cattle prices got to high to be roping! I and my brother and couple fo nephews have some of the old poster's from the rodeo's. The cost of admission owas $0.25 per person and there was a free barbecue and dance! Try and find a deal like that today! Our address was: Star Route, Pearce, Arizona! My dad, Gail, was the delivery man for the mail for several years up Turkey Creek. He and my grandad, Ike, used to supply Albert Rothe, owner of the Pearce Mercantile store, with beef for years as well as stores and hospitals in Bisbee and Douglas and points in between! The rodeo's and selling beef is what helped them to survive the "great depression"! My dad was born in the town of Light, Arizona which no longer exists but the Light Cemetary does where many native ranch
families including the Rathburns, Mattie Pressey and many other are still resting. My great, great grandafather, Michael McDonald is buried there. He was born on Sept. 15, 1826 in County Corke, Ireland and passed away in the arms of his daughter, Mary (Grandma) Price on March 23, 1928, living to be 101 years and 6 months of age. His occupation listed on his death certificate was: Pony Express rider! His brother was the first governor of the state of New Mexico.
I can remember (and I was born in 1941) when the highway to the Wonderland of Rocks (Hwy 181) was a dirt road and my dad and grandad worked for the State Highway Dept. during the paving of that highway in 1948-1950. We bought the Grantham grocery store along 181 about eight miles east of where 181 and what used to be 666 intersected. That old store has stood there for many years and is still being lived in. We used to have an old gas pump there which a friend has now that had the 10 gallon glass cylinder on top and I pumped many a gallons of gas up into that cylinder!
Mrs. McLeod was the postmaster in Pearce for many years and her and Albert Rothe were fixtures of that town! My dad graduated from High School in Pearce and unless they changed the records since I graduated from high school in 1958, the high school at Elfrida was still listed as the Pearce Union School District. Just wanted to get some factual information out for those who call Pearce, Sunsite or Sunizona their home and for those interested in area history!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Guy -

That's pretty neat!

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona