Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:08 AM

7 posts, read 28,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB View Post
And,IMHO Cibola HS is the best.
My little brother is a junior at Yuma high,he chose it because they have a great football team.and he says he likes it.
But cibola is in a better nehiborhood.and people have told me that the best teachers are there.
Theres also a new HS beign finished right now,around the corner from my house.
It will open in 08-2007 it will be called Gila Ridge HS.

good luck choosing
Hello MAB. I've been going through these forums tonight in search of information on Yuma. There is a high possibility of me starting a job in the Yuma Regional Medical Center. Also, I have two girls (not even in elementary school yet), and I have been researching the schools there and I have also found that Cibola HS is the best. Pueblo elementary and the middle school (all of those schools are on 20th, right?) are also highly rated. I figure the hospital is close to those schools, so my best bet is to find something near the schools there. I am glad to hear you say that is a good neighborhood.

Currently I live in Palm Beach, FL and I absolutely hate it. Besides not liking the weather and people, I struggle to pay rent & bills each month... so, it doesn't make sense to stay here. I have found your comments on Yuma the most insightful (along with a few other's postings). Although there is a ton of negative stuff in this forum about Yuma, I don't find most of the "arguments" to be substantial. I KNOW it's hot; that's not a big deal. I currently live in the land of the snowbirds; they impede traffic and fill up restaurants (usually not the restaurants I go to anyways)... not really an issue. The complaints against illegals (and mexicans, in general)... I'm also from San Diego and I *KNOW* that the illegals aren't the problem, I don't think the illegals in Yuma would be different. Why do some people seem to have a problem with all mexicans? Also, being from San Diego, I know all about traffic... For awhile, I worked in Carlsbad and lived in Mira Mesa; just a 20 minute drive (without traffic). Every Friday, after work, that 20 minute drive grew to over 2 hours. 45 minutes of that just trying to get down Mira Mesa Blvd. I'll take the 25mph snowbirds over that anytime.

Anyways, is that Cibola/Pueblo area a good area to find an apartment? Do you know of any good apartments in that area? All apartments look good when you see them online, right? So, if you actually know someone living in that area, I'd appreciate any info.
Thanks,
~Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 01:17 PM

702 posts, read 3,153,646 times
Default Rent Before Buying...

I go to Yuma at least once a month on my way to California. I would suggest renting before buying. After you are there for a couple of months you will find out why there are so many negative posts.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 11,919 times
Smile Yuma help Season Affective Disorder and Arthritis?

Hi,

Would appreciate feedback regarding living in Yuma based on the claim that it has the highest number of days per sunshine each year. Wondering if it would be helpful for the Season Affective Disorder that I suffer with. Anyone out there suffer with this? Plus, I have a couple forms of arthritis. Would think that the dry heat would be very helpful.

songbirdpoet

Old 03-05-2007, 09:40 AM

7 posts, read 28,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I go to Yuma at least once a month on my way to California. I would suggest renting before buying. After you are there for a couple of months you will find out why there are so many negative posts.
Do you mind expanding on that a little? Your previous posts on this thread just say that it's hot and there are a lot of snowbirds. Those aren't exactly reasons to condemn a place. Actually, to me, the fact that there are alot of snowbirds must mean that the place is not that bad. Even though the snowbirds' main objective is to escape the subarctic temperatures of their homes up north, I do not believe they will go to a terrible place just to meet that objective.

So, what else is it that makes it so bad? Well... perhaps it is not so easy to put it words? Everyone will feel differently about different environments. I hate it here in Florida, but there are others that LOVE it. I hated it in Cleveland, Ohio; but, I have many friends and family that won't leave the place. So, I guess it's all up to the individual. However, these kinds of forums are good to get an idea of what some major concerns are about certain areas. They are also good to learn about nice things... and to find out where the ideal neighborhoods and schools are.

BTW, I do plan on renting before buying. But, that is just so I have time to find an ideal neighborhood on my own.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:54 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdpoet View Post
Hi,

Would appreciate feedback regarding living in Yuma based on the claim that it has the highest number of days per sunshine each year. Wondering if it would be helpful for the Season Affective Disorder that I suffer with. Anyone out there suffer with this? Plus, I have a couple forms of arthritis. Would think that the dry heat would be very helpful.

songbirdpoet
Well if sunshine help with SAD then the Arizona desert is about the best place you can be. It sunny and then some. There is a kind of opposite depression you get here though from too much sun. Kind of like, "Is it every going to rain in this god-forsaken place?". I do think that is much easier to deal with than the doom and gloom of seemingly endless cloudy days though.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM

121 posts, read 663,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well if sunshine help with SAD then the Arizona desert is about the best place you can be. It sunny and then some. There is a kind of opposite depression you get here though from too much sun. Kind of like, "Is it every going to rain in this god-forsaken place?". I do think that is much easier to deal with than the doom and gloom of seemingly endless cloudy days though.

I couldn't agree more. You can count on one hand how many times it rains in a year. And there are never any clouds..ok maybe one or two but there not like the big fluffu clouds..they are very little and thin. To me it seemed like clear and sunny 100% of the time so yes...Yuma would be a good place for SAD.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:29 PM

121 posts, read 663,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationYuma View Post
Do you mind expanding on that a little? Your previous posts on this thread just say that it's hot and there are a lot of snowbirds. Those aren't exactly reasons to condemn a place. Actually, to me, the fact that there are alot of snowbirds must mean that the place is not that bad. Even though the snowbirds' main objective is to escape the subarctic temperatures of their homes up north, I do not believe they will go to a terrible place just to meet that objective.

So, what else is it that makes it so bad? Well... perhaps it is not so easy to put it words? Everyone will feel differently about different environments. I hate it here in Florida, but there are others that LOVE it. I hated it in Cleveland, Ohio; but, I have many friends and family that won't leave the place. So, I guess it's all up to the individual. However, these kinds of forums are good to get an idea of what some major concerns are about certain areas. They are also good to learn about nice things... and to find out where the ideal neighborhoods and schools are.

BTW, I do plan on renting before buying. But, that is just so I have time to find an ideal neighborhood on my own.

Like you said some love it some hate it. You'll just have to live there and decide for yourself. Renting is good until you are ready to buy. Due to the big military population there are a lot of rentals. Also...still a good time to buy in Yuma, sellers are coming down from there prices and homes are taking a long time to sell so it's your market and that gives you some leverage. Yumaera.com has some great listings..good luck.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM

702 posts, read 3,153,646 times
You are doing the right think by renting. Since everything is relative, you will learn what you like and dislike during your rental phase. You will either like it and buy a home or move on. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,227 times
I have lived in Yuma for a little over a year. I have lived in Dallas TX (19 years), Southern and Northern California (7 years), Tucson AZ (4 years), and finally Yuma. I didn't move here for a job. I moved here for love; the love of my life, who was born and raised here.
My perspective was dim from the beginning because I consider myself a city girl; an educated ex-Californian who grew up in a suburb of the big gray city of Dallas. I came to Yuma after being laid off 3 times in a row in the 4 years I lived in Tucson. Even though I found a good job in Yuma I became very depressed half way through my first year. However, I sought help and have improved very much.
I was very surprised that I actually enjoyed the summer here in Yuma. There is a lot of water here and I was able to go to the river with friends and take trips down to the gulf of Mexico which is only an hour away. Also, San Diego is only a two hour drive away.
Of course we dread summer's heat. It's hot in Dallas too with lots of humidity. You simply pick your poison. The winter in Yuma is beautiful.
My only complaints about Yuma weather would be the windy days which kick up so much dust that the mountains are obscured, and the flies that are simply everywhere all summer. These flies do not bite though, like the big flies up in the northern midwestern states.
Life is about who you are with, not necessarily where you are. I am lucky to have a good relationship, full time job with benefits, and interesting teaching opportunities at the community college where I teach part time.(which happens to be the 3rd best community college in the state of AZ).
If you want to go where the grass is greener, move to northern California. You won't be able to afford to live or eat or do much of anything but at least the weather is pleasant.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 11,919 times
Hey thanks everyone for the honest evaluation of how it would be like living in Yuma with Season Affective Disorder. I will take all that great feedback into account. I suppose one could get over-exposed to too much sunshine/light and long for seasonal changes. I still enjoy the Spring/Summer/early Falls here in Maryland. Guess I just need a place to stay with a purpose for November through February. Visiting is always a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona