Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 76,404 times

Advertisements

Nothing rusts in Yuma.

(You asked for something positive)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 12:25 AM

6 posts, read 38,938 times
Well - It's a dry heat.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:15 AM

702 posts, read 3,153,408 times
Wink No ice on the roads...

There is no ice on the roads in Yuma. No cold wind off the lake. You will never get hit with a snowball!

Old 10-02-2006, 03:02 PM

78 posts, read 421,537 times
Let's see...

Twenty miles from the (very wide open) border...
It NEVER rains there...
You're hours from a major city...(that can be good and bad)
You get snowbirds for half the year.

Shall I go on? LOL

Old 10-02-2006, 11:15 PM

20 posts, read 97,168 times
Interesting Opinions............Yuma has been one of my favorite irregular destinations....when there I have gone to the walk/run course next to Kofa High and always found everyone there very friendly.

Other Highlights IMHO;

Nearby Lake & River for Water Sports
Sand dunes close by for Quads or Sand Rails
3 Hours from San Diego! (If that is a positive to you!)
Local Junior College
New Mall...............

LOL

Old 10-04-2006, 08:13 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,945,725 times
ok let me tell the truth. i moved here 2 years ago, i wouldnt recommend this place to anyone. the unemployment rate is 30%, the summers may-sept are terribly hot and never cools down at night during june july and august its 115-121 during the day and 110 at night. right now it is october and its still 100 degrees, and the weather people i dont know where they get there info but its always 5 degrees hotter than they say ask anyone here they know. yeah miserable, the snowbirds come in the winter and when i first heard this i was actually looking for a real bird. but no its all the old people, coming from everywhere, they are rude, they crowd the streets, you cant get into a restuarant without a 2 hour wait, they hate kids so they will complain if you have kids they might act up. they crowd the foothills grocery store by gathering in the isles at all times of the day, so badly that i will not go there for 6 months because the line ups are sooo impossible. at least a 45 minute wait to get your groceries. the snow birds can not drive, if they signal left they are most likely turning right, if they use the turn indicator at all because most of them dont even use it! they slam on the breaks for a yellow light and slow down on the highways for a green light! they drive like they are on an island resort about 20 miles per hour without any regard for the people that have to live here and get to work to serve them. they let their dogs **** everywhere and most of them dont pick it up because where i work there is dog crap on the rocks every morning, the college( which is why i came here) is a joke, they dont have many teachers that are actually teachers, they might be your boss or someone with a bachelors degree i have some now, my federal aid check they gave me bounced!! and no one knew anything! sad. they cant keep teachers or doctors here, normal people dont want to stay here, their are only 3 radio stations, and basically just when you think you are done with the snow birds here comes the awful heat, its a vicious cycle. there is nothing here for kids or families and alot of the town closes down for the summer. my kids had nothing to do, its too hot to be outside and i wouldnt let my kids near a road during the winters. i do not plan on staying here any longer than i have to.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 AM

702 posts, read 3,153,408 times
Default You spoke the truth

This is how I see it also. The summer is very long and hot. The winters are so crowded with snow birds that it is hard to even gas up. Everyone in town is fighting to get gas and have their propane tanks filled.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:21 AM

207 posts, read 549,154 times
'Sounds like a few 'city' people can't 'cowboy up' 'n hack the desert. I was in and out of Marine Corps Air Station Yuma off 'n on beginning in 1966. Yuma was the main reason I relocated to Arizona 'soon as I was able. 'Loved the place. Yeah... it's hot 'n the wind blows sand off the Burrego dunes but overall... it beats anything in the cities.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:18 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,945,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
'Sounds like a few 'city' people can't 'cowboy up' 'n hack the desert. I was in and out of Marine Corps Air Station Yuma off 'n on beginning in 1966. Yuma was the main reason I relocated to Arizona 'soon as I was able. 'Loved the place. Yeah... it's hot 'n the wind blows sand off the Burrego dunes but overall... it beats anything in the cities.
i guess you have to love snowbirdsand choking heat to love yuma. ilove the country too but with trees and no snowbirds or sweltering heat

Old 01-06-2007, 10:43 AM

121 posts, read 663,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camesquibel View Post
My husband got offered a job in Yuma. We have four young children. Is it really bad like I hear or is there anything positive. I know that the housing seems to be really high there, but how about education and the community in general? Is the crime really bad there?

Housing has gone up but is still low considering other parts onf th country. Where are you moving from? With 4 kids though you'll need a bigger house and in my opinion, all homes in AZ ar smaller. Most ar one leval, with average of 1300-1800 sg ft..
I have nothing good to say about Yuma...sorry...but the biggest peave of advice is to buy a home with a pool...it is to hot for kids to play outside in the summer so at least they can swim..of course with 4 little ones a pool fence is a must...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona