Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 04:57 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,254,843 times

Advertisements

Take a look at Sierra Vista which is a small city in Cochise County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 06:03 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,715,963 times
My wife was born in Tombstone many years ago.
I took her to CA when I got out of the Army in the 60s and returned to AZ in the 90s with early retirement.
We have lived in Hereford (next to Sierra Vista), Safford, Tucson, Sierra Vista and Prescott and Prescott Valley (towns are next to one another. Relocations were due to job transfers for the most part. Before the last move to the mountains of Prescott we looked at Payson (too far to anywhere and not much in the way of medical) and the Flagstaff area (Too much wind, snow on occasion and younger kids at the college).
We prefer a town were we can get medical needs taken care of and one that has some variety in shopping.
Living here we can be in Phoenix if we want to within an hour but at the same time it's some 20-25° cooler than that of Phoenix during the summer. We do get a little snow a couple of times a year but it does not last long on the ground.
I suppose the worst thing about living in the Prescott area is that the tourists like to visit as do valley residents to get away from the heat in the summers. But we are retired and just avoid the events and such in the downtown areas that attract them in the Spring and Summers on weekends.
The area is very friendly and people will help you out unlike some bigger cities.
Some don't like this area as we don't have a trauma center at the hospitals but Flagstaff and Phoenix have them and it's a short helicopter ride.
The hospitals in this area are very good (been in them a lot in the last few years with heart problems) I cannot rate them as excellent but very close. PS, I have never seen a hospital I would rate as excellent in all respects either.
Moving from WA you will like the WX here. I was stationed at Fort Lewis in '66 and '71-2 and back again with the wife's employment in '96 to Seattle, Gig Harbor and Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island. I did not mind the WX but try to convince an AZ girl that it's OK.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:29 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,987,028 times
Not sure if the OP will like Santa Fe, its seriously too cold with lows in the teens for months.

I have not found a better place than Albuquerque in the Southwest- mild weather, affordable, hardly any traffic compared to where I use to live ( Seattle). Ok, its got some crime issues, but thats what bars on windows are for.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:22 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,446,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
We prefer a town were we can get medical needs taken care of and one that has some variety in shopping.
Living here we can be in Phoenix if we want to within an hour but at the same time it's some 20-25° cooler than that of Phoenix during the summer.
I suppose the worst thing about living in the Prescott area is that the tourists like to visit as do valley residents to get away from the heat in the summers. But we are retired and just avoid the events and such in the downtown areas that attract them in the Spring and Summers on weekends.

Moving from WA you will like the WX here.
I'm sure I would like the weather there,that's why I was looking there. I don't care about shopping or tourists...just ideally somewhere more temperate and not a ghetto.

From what I've been seeing with the weather,it looks as if it's pretty chilly in most of the state this time of year except for of course Phoenix which you pay the price for in summer.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Not sure if the OP will like Santa Fe, its seriously too cold with lows in the teens for months.

I have not found a better place than Albuquerque in the Southwest- mild weather, affordable, hardly any traffic compared to where I use to live ( Seattle). Ok, its got some crime issues, but thats what bars on windows are for.
From what I've been seeing it looks like Alb gets pretty chilly in winter too,but I'd have to look at more history to really tell. Though if people who've lived there before say it's ok then I'll take that into consideration as well.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:45 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,385,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I'm sure I would like the weather there,that's why I was looking there. I don't care about shopping or tourists...just ideally somewhere more temperate and not a ghetto.

From what I've been seeing with the weather,it looks as if it's pretty chilly in most of the state this time of year except for of course Phoenix which you pay the price for in summer.
That's the thing about the Intermountain West, once you get away from the California coast and its temperate Mediterranean-like climate, you are not going to find any place with temperate temps all year long. Either super hot in the summer or somewhat cold/chilly in the winter depending on the individual and what they can tolerate. That's why most people who are wealthy and can afford it, have a winter home in either the Phoenix or Tucson metroplexes and have a summer house elsewhere. I wish you the best of luck in your search!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Either super hot in the summer or somewhat cold/chilly in the winter depending on the individual and what they can tolerate.
I guess I'd opt for that cold...100+ all summer is a bit much;

Old 11-23-2016, 09:59 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I guess I'd opt for that cold...100+ all summer is a bit much;
You get used to it. Phoenix is a lot hotter than Tucson (maybe not on the temperature readings, but the heat in Phoenix feels more relentless than Tucson) and Tucson gets more rain. If you need an economy you could give Tucson a shot. It's a better size too.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Phoenix is a lot hotter than Tucson (maybe not on the temperature readings, but the heat in Phoenix feels more relentless than Tucson) and Tucson gets more rain.
I'm not much into big cities anyway,was looking at places like New River etc. Strange Tucson is farther south yet isn't as hot...

Old 11-23-2016, 12:32 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,103,507 times
Check out Bisbee if you want near perfect weather and a more liberal, artsy vibe. It doesn't really get too hot or cold. It's small, though, and you'd have to go into Sierra Vista for many of the necessities, but Bisbee is a cool town with an interesting history and neat downtown area. Not a lot of high paying jobs there, though. Not sure how important that is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona