Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:32 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Keep in mind, Goolsbyjazz . . .

For each and every Mosquito you encounter here in Arizona, there are dozens, if not hundreds to pester you Up There and/or Over There.

They never seem to be a problem for me but my neighbor swears Garlic Pills work wonders for her.

Worth a try?
LOL, we have a neighbor who wears a garlic necklace, claims it repels bugs, vampires, evil spirits and all. We find it repels us people too.

I haven't seen a mosquito in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 06:26 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
LOL, we have a neighbor who wears a garlic necklace, claims it repels bugs, vampires, evil spirits and all. We find it repels us people too.

Huh, I'll keep that in mind if we end up retiring in Hot Springs, AR. Apparently skeeters fly aplenty in Arkansas. Ticks are worse if you try and blaze a trail through the woods that wasn't there before.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:49 PM

924 posts, read 752,019 times
Haven't seen too many mosquitoes in my neighborhood so far this year....maybe because the people across the street finally figured out how to either drain or cover their swimming pool instead of letting it turn green.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Keep in mind, Goolsbyjazz . . .

For each and every Mosquito you encounter here in Arizona, there are dozens, if not hundreds to pester you Up There and/or Over There.

They never seem to be a problem for me but my neighbor swears Garlic Pills work wonders for her.

Worth a try?

I can attest to that! Try living in Alaska! lol I lived in Fairbanks for two years and I have NEVER seen mosquitoes like that. I worked across the street from my apt. and to get back and forth I had to navigate a HUGE swarm of the things. They say Alaska mosquitoes are big but they aren't. They ARE however extremely prolific! When I'd open the main door to our building some would fly in real quick. All the apts., for some reason, had at least a 1" gap at the bottom of their doors so, of course they'd go into them as well. Once went to Circle, AK and stayed at the BLM firefighter's camp. Got very little sleep and that totally covered up. I spent time in various places in Alaska while I was up there and those two were the worst I encountered. Was never so happy to see really cold weather come around! lol

We have them up here too but not nearly as bad as some places. My mom had them because my grandson, who lived next door, had an uncovered above ground pool for his kids. We had a rain barrel to catch the water but kept a very fine screen over the top to keep them out. I did find a 5 gal. bucket full of stagnant water behind a storage shed and got rid of that!

Old 05-21-2016, 09:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
I have never had a problem with mosquitoes here but I do have a problem with FLIES. They have invaded my apartment in Tucson currently. I don't know how so many of them got to my kitchen drain but they are flying all around my kitchen now.

The reason why Arizona sees the problem with mosquitoes is too many damn people here have freshwater pools. Mosquitoes literally breed in those things. Get a saltwater pool however, and you'll have no problem with them.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:03 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Our relatives in Minnesota say their mosquitos are so big that they put saddles on them.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Our relatives in Minnesota say their mosquitos are so big that they put saddles on them.

Heee-heee-haaa-haaa-haaaaa! Those have got ta be big mosquito's!

Old 05-24-2016, 11:42 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
You're all scaring me, for someone contemplating a move to Tucson this year for retirement!

I do realize AZ gets more precip., 7-8 inches in Phoenix, 10-11 inches in Tucson, and that must be one of the culprits in reading about the flies and mosquito's in those areas of AZ.

Here in Las Vegas, 20 years, have never been bitten by a mosquito, not even bothered with flies (3 have flown into my house so far this year) so it must be the precip. as the one, or major culprit, roughly 4 inches of precip. here every year.

And then there's the termite problem to face, as we don't have termites up here, don't even need a termite report in buying/selling a house.

Maybe this wimp will stay put and avoid those all those "terrorists" down there!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:49 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You're all scaring me, for someone contemplating a move to Tucson this year for retirement!

I do realize AZ gets more precip., 7-8 inches in Phoenix, 10-11 inches in Tucson, and that must be one of the culprits in reading about the flies and mosquito's in those areas of AZ.

Here in Las Vegas, 20 years, have never been bitten by a mosquito, not even bothered with flies (3 have flown into my house so far this year) so it must be the precip. as the one, or major culprit, roughly 4 inches of precip. here every year.

And then there's the termite problem to face, as we don't have termites up here, don't even need a termite report in buying/selling a house.

Maybe this wimp will stay put and avoid those all those "terrorists" down there!
Dude, as wonderful & caring Arizonans, it's our DUTY to forewarn people who continually come into our state -- about the possibilities. Would you prefer we sugarcoat it?

Insects and critters are everywhere. However, it's just as possible you'll rarely or never see certain insects or critters. They may or may not be almost anywhere you may end up in the 48th state.

Roll the dice.

Many of us rarely see certain critters. Ever. Still... we KNOW they're out there. Somewhere...

Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
I'm always impressed by just how variable the bugs are from place to place. Some people see scorpions all the time, I never have seen one. And flies? I only ever see those at the park or if someone's having a picnic or something.

I do occasionally get mosquitos around my house. During the day, seems like they are never around, but once it gets dark, they come out to play. This is why I can't swim at dusk/night, too many bugs buzzing the water (chlorinated...I guess they just want a drink or want me). But during the day I never even see them. I do try to keep an eye out for any standing water or any place they might enjoy.

AZ Desert Brat is so right about AK mosquitos...the good news is the wildfires kill them/smoke them out so if you have an active wildfire season up there you get a respite. Generally speaking, they're not as bad in town but if you live out in the woods, forget about it. It's as bad as any place in the Continental US that I've been.

I went on a canoe trip to the Boundary Water on the Minnesota/Canada border once for a couple of weeks...wore long pants, long sleeves, hat and bug spray for two weeks solid...still had 50 mosquito bites that I counted at one point. Small price to pay for that natural beauty, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona