Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 04:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times

Advertisements

You are required to carry proof of insurance. AZ law dictates that electronic proof is permissible. Insurance carriers do send out renewal cards at policy expiration and most carriers allow you to print online.

There are also electronic feeds that go to the MVD. This impacts your ability to register your car and the registration side of the equation. If you had an annual policy and then cancelled it, that would feed to the MVD which would then cancel your registration. The police would be able to see your registration status when running your vehicle.

Here is the ARS on the proof of financial responsibility
28-4135 - Motor vehicle financial responsibility requirement; civil penalties; evidence at hearing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 10:18 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
The way auto insurance worked in Arizona when I lived there full time 10 years ago was that the insurance companies and the MVD communicated monthly as to which person/vehicle had current auto insurance. If you ever let your auto insurance lapse, then the company automatically informed the MVD and then your plates were suspended.

Any law enforcement officer could pull up behind you, run your plates, and find out if you had current insurance. Why would anyone need a card now ten years later?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:35 PM

They wouldn't know if you had insurance, they would know if you had a valid registration.

Insurance cards are super helpful in the event of things like accidents

Old 05-08-2016, 11:31 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
Based on my own experience, I'd say it isn't OK.

I was recently cited for no proof of insurance because I had mistakenly removed the current year's documentation and unknowingly had last year's info in the car (I'd cleaned out the glove compartment and accidentally removed the wrong one).

The officer stopped me for a minor violation (his words) but because I could not provide proof of insurance, I wound up with two citations instead of a warning. He said it would have just been an "educational stop" if I had been able to provide proof of insurance, but because he had to cite me (again, his words) for no POI, he also had to cite me for the original reason I was stopped.

I was able to get the no-POI citation dismissed by going to the courthouse and providing my current insurance info; good thing, because that would have been a very expensive fine.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:18 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
You are required to carry proof of insurance. AZ law dictates that electronic proof is permissible. Insurance carriers do send out renewal cards at policy expiration and most carriers allow you to print online.

There are also electronic feeds that go to the MVD. This impacts your ability to register your car and the registration side of the equation. If you had an annual policy and then cancelled it, that would feed to the MVD which would then cancel your registration. The police would be able to see your registration status when running your vehicle.

Here is the ARS on the proof of financial responsibility
28-4135 - Motor vehicle financial responsibility requirement; civil penalties; evidence at hearing
so according to what you said if the police check your registration and it is good you must have valid insurance on the vehicle otherwise your registration would be cancelled.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If it doesn't show it as a current policy then you'd be in violation.
I do believe progressive has an online proof of insurance card that you could show from your phone though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
We get ours and print them on line from the insurance companies web site.

And what happens to people who do not have a smart phone, cell phone, computer or printer?

Yes, there are still people who do not have or cannot afford these items.

I would tell Progressive that if they cannot provide me with a card to show proof of insurance I will find insurance with a company that can.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:50 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

I would tell Progressive that if they cannot provide me with a card to show proof of insurance I will find insurance with a company that can.
Progressive does- online and will mail you one if you call them.

-----------
You can show proof of insurance later, at court, when you pay, etc.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
so according to what you said if the police check your registration and it is good you must have valid insurance on the vehicle otherwise your registration would be cancelled.
Pending system/reporting lag, yes.

However, the law requires you to carry proof of financial responsibility (insurance). So you may run into headaches by not having it on you.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:50 PM

I have progressive. The cards are mailed standard.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:56 PM

308 posts, read 791,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
When the system works, yes. Sometimes the MVD doesn't receive the notice of lapsed insurance. There is also a lag time before MVD suspends the registration for lack of insurance. The only way the officer has to know you have insurance is to see a current expiration date on the card. As stated in an earlier post, the insurance card itself doesn't necessarily mean the vehicle has current insurance, but it's still the only way the officer has. The law states you need to carry a current card, or be able to electronically produce it in a reasonable amount of time. Anything else will get you a citation.

Also, if your insurance lapses and is then reinstated, the new insurance company is not mandated to tell the MVD you have new insurance, so the registration suspension stays in place. The officer will write you a citation and take your license plate away on the spot. Getting your vehicle home is up to you (only legal way is to tow it). Bottom line, don't let your insurance lapse and if you do, contact the MVD with new proof of insurance and make sure the suspension is lifted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona