Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikita. View Post
You're right. I was talking off memory, and recalled the over 40 days. But those are really the "Feels like" weather, not the true temperature. My mistake. Regardless, Southern Canada does get hot summers.
Actually, I would agree with you that what really counts is what it feels like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikita. View Post
Actually, Toronto and a lot of the places relatively more "South" in Canada do get quite hot in the summer, with days reaching over 100. I'd compare the weather in Toronto to that of Upstate NY (even NYC minus maybe 5 degrees on average).

Sigh. Tiger Beer, I fear it may be a lost cause.
Yes, even cold places in the U.S. (Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit) get warm summers. Some even get summers that border on hot (Omaha, Rapid City). However, for warm winter weather, there's no place to go in Canada, and for mild winter weather I can only think of Vancouver (and even that's not very "mild" in the winter).

Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I suppose there are huge differences within Canada, too. About a week ago I read an article on how the infrastructure (streets, bridges etc.) is crumbling at an alarming rate in Quebec because of rampant corruption and other reasons, while it is fine in neighboring Ontario...

I have never been to Canada, but isn't southern Ontario kind of embedded in the US anyway because of its latitude? It probably feels much more US-American, specifically Midwestern, than, say, Edmonton

Old 10-21-2011, 02:38 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have never been to Canada, but isn't southern Ontario kind of embedded in the US anyway because of its latitude? It probably feels much more US-American, specifically Midwestern, than, say, Edmonton
I'd say Ontario is kind of like a cross between upstate New York and Ohio. Toronto is most like Chicago in the U.S., probably.

Having said that, Canada feels different than the U.S. It has different vibes. You have to experience it for yourself.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-21-2011 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Yes, even cold places in the U.S. (Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit) get warm summers. Some even get summers that border on hot (Omaha, Rapid City). However, for warm winter weather, there's no place to go in Canada, and for mild winter weather I can only think of Vancouver (and even that's not very "mild" in the winter).
You're right. Sorry, I may have misunderstood what you meant by the weather comment. There are misconceptions of Canada being cold all year round.

Quote:
I suppose there are huge differences within Canada, too. About a week ago I read an article on how the infrastructure (streets, bridges etc.) is crumbling at an alarming rate in Quebec because of rampant corruption and other reasons, while it is fine in neighboring Ontario...

When I moved from the US to Canada, I was really surprised how little difference there really was. Despite the remarks Canadians love to say against the US, it actually feels very very American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd say Ontario is kind of like a cross between upstate New York and Ohio. Toronto is most like Chicago in the U.S., probably.

Having said that, Canada feels different than the U.S. It has different vibes. You have to experience it for yourself.
For me, the only 'different vibes' were the shared dislike of America. Other than that, it didn't feel very different. Agree 1000% on it feeling like upstate and Ohio and looking like Chicago. Great comparison.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 PM

174 posts, read 639,983 times
I'll only answer from a traveler's perspective. Obviously USA is a better destination. It's more diverse in people, food, culture and nature. A friendly destination to everyone.
I like both of them and do not like one more than the other.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:59 AM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
Most Canadians live closer to the U.S. then to Canada so it would actually be pretty surprising if there were many differences.

The one thing I would like to add is many Canadians do not travel much in Canada and that is sad but understandable. Ever drive from Toronto to Thunder bay? That is quite a haul and you aren't even outside of Ontario yet. I find plane ticket prices to be $$$ and many Canadians find its a better deal to travel to the U.S., Caribbean, or Europe. Canada has so many amazing destinations, Yukon, Nunuvut, Newfoundland are all places I'd like to see someday.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:15 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:

Places like Edmonton and most of the rest of Western Canada also feel similar to the U.S., or at least fairly similar to neighbouring regions of the U.S.

In my humble opinion, the English-speaking areas of Canada that feel the most ''non-U.S.'' would be northern and eastern Ontario, and also Atlantic Canada.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:22 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Which nation is a better place to live and why? I am in Chicago and two close family friends of mine and their families have moved to the Midwest from Toronto. Both are much happier here in the United States they feel that the US is much more diverse and even more progressive (which I found odd seeing as the US is much more conservative than Canada). I'd love it if some Canadians could chime in!

Also, why do some Americans say that they pretend to be Canadian while abroad? I am a frequent internation traveller and I have never pretended to be something other than American while abroad. I think even if foreigners are unhappy with the US government, they understand the difference between the people and the government.
I've never pretended to be Canadian while abroad, and have only heard of Americans doing it if they are visiting middle eastern countries.

I tend to agree, in general I don't think people will judge the individual based on their country of origin. I honestly wouldn't care either... our government does some wack things, but I love my country.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I've never pretended to be Canadian while abroad, and have only heard of Americans doing it if they are visiting middle eastern countries.
It's mostly a rumour/stereotype I hear among Canadians...usually under the Canadian stereotype/assumption/pretext that everyone hates Americans.

In reality, I've met very, very, very, very few Americans who have ever said they've actually done this. Unfortunately I've only heard it from an American or two on the internet, never met any in real life who've done this.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 10-22-2011 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas