Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,459 times

Advertisements

From an economic point of view both cities are strong.

This info according to wikipedia:

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richest cities in North America.

Rank...................Country.........GDP in $US BN
1 New York.......... USA........$ 1133
4 Mexico City........ Mexico........$ 315

Comparing them to the rest of the world.

Rank..........................Country.........GDP in $US BN
1 Tokyo...................Japan............$ 1191 $ 63,778
2 New York... ..........USA..............$ 1133 $ 61,000
3 Los Angeles ..........USA..............$ 639 $ 53,300
4 Chicago................USA..............$ 460 $ 51,100
5 Paris.......... .........France...........$ 460 $ 46,000
6 London.................UK................$ 452 $ 59,400
7 Osaka..................Japan............$ 341 $ 32,000
8 Mexico City ..........Mexico...........$ 315 $ 17,000

Population

10 Mexico City.....8,658,576
13 New York City 8,143,197.

Skylines

New york city

Mexico city

Economy isn't everything though, there are a lot of things that should be taken in consideration like cost of living, pollution, crime, number and quality of services, like schools, museums, cinemas, theathers, etc.

Both cities have their dark side too, being huge cities with lots of population, it's normal that they have poverty and slums.

New York

Mexico city

Both cities have plenty of those services, crime is more or less in the same level, both cities have lots of poor people and wide slum areas, and both have a heavy traffic problem.

Living costs are much cheaper in Mexico City, but they are on the rise.

Your choice?

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-19-2007 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times
Dude, that New Yok slum pic is from at least 20 years ago. It's gotten better.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM

32 posts, read 175,344 times
crime in manhattan= not bad. i can walk around night time and not care about wearing my panny/jumping into cabs.

crime in mexico city= my work will not allow me to
a. go out without armed guards
b. take cabs that aren't owend by the hotel chain
c. wander off of the street connecting hotel to office.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpo123 View Post
crime in manhattan= not bad. i can walk around night time and not care about wearing my panny/jumping into cabs.

crime in mexico city= my work will not allow me to
a. go out without armed guards
b. take cabs that aren't owend by the hotel chain
c. wander off of the street connecting hotel to office.
Hey, imho crime is not like that, I live in Mexico city, earn a decent middle class wage and I go around from here to there everytime, I take care not to take pirate taxis though, and nothing has ever happened to me.

I try to keep away from dangerous places at night though or go to slums, but I've been in those places and nothing has happened, although they can get very creepy specially at night so I usually try to avoid them.

but nightlife in Mexico city is pretty safe, like every big city it depends on the area though, there are some places you'd like to avoid for sure, but there are a lot of places in the city full of cops and security cameras those places are pretty safe to walk at night usually.

I got robbed once though, but it wasn't in Mexico city, it was in a small town in Morelos one of the neighbooring states, I was 15 at that time, and 3 guys robbed our tennis from us

Old 11-23-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Dude, that New Yok slum pic is from at least 20 years ago. It's gotten better.
Hi FutureCop, I imagine that you are a New Yorker, am I right?

The purpose of this thread is to offer points of views (and if possible pictures) from natives of this great cities, if you could share your view of NYC with us it'd be awesome, the same with other new yorkers

Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 56,123 times
Thumbs down New Yorkers aren't born equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Hi FutureCop, I imagine that you are a New Yorker, am I right?

The purpose of this thread is to offer points of views (and if possible pictures) from natives of this great cities, if you could share your view of NYC with us it'd be awesome, the same with other new yorkers
I don't really think it's fair for people to keep praising how wonderful and nice like some kind of playland NY has become, no one seems to realize how many of the residents of the city who have no opportunity have been winnowed out to make this possible. Doesn't anyone remember block busting and guys like Robert Mosses? Guiliani took the essence of this city, the hardcore "like it or get out" attitude that represented NY since the days of Dutch colonists and rubbed it out witha good clean suburban white washing. Where were all you people who agrees that NY should drop dead back when Ford refused to help us? You were afraid of being mugged and too picky to tolerate graffiti and trash, was it there? We grew up with it so we really didn't notice it. All I can say is that if you think forcing the poorest city residents out into other states because you want to clean up neighborhoods and raise rent to meet demands is fair, just don't forget who kept those neighborhoods operating to the best of their ability when everyone else was too good for them.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:31 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
From an economic point of view both cities are strong.

This info according to wikipedia:

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richest cities in North America.

Rank...................Country.........GDP in $US BN
1 New York.......... USA........$ 1133
4 Mexico City........ Mexico........$ 315

Comparing them to the rest of the world.

Rank..........................Country.........GDP in $US BN
1 Tokyo...................Japan............$ 1191 $ 63,778
2 New York... ..........USA..............$ 1133 $ 61,000
3 Los Angeles ..........USA..............$ 639 $ 53,300
4 Chicago................USA..............$ 460 $ 51,100
5 Paris.......... .........France...........$ 460 $ 46,000
6 London.................UK................$ 452 $ 59,400
7 Osaka..................Japan............$ 341 $ 32,000
8 Mexico City ..........Mexico...........$ 315 $ 17,000

Population

10 Mexico City.....8,658,576
13 New York City 8,143,197.

Skylines

New york city

Mexico city

Economy isn't everything though, there are a lot of things that should be taken in consideration like cost of living, pollution, crime, number and quality of services, like schools, museums, cinemas, theathers, etc.

Both cities have their dark side too, being huge cities with lots of population, it's normal that they have poverty and slums.

New York

Mexico city

Both cities have plenty of those services, crime is more or less in the same level, both cities have lots of poor people and wide slum areas, and both have a heavy traffic problem.

Living costs are much cheaper in Mexico City, but they are on the rise.

Your choice?
That NYC "slum" picture cracks me up!! That picture is probably of the Bronx in the late 1970's and early 1980's. "Slums" like that are RARE in New York City today. Poverty exists, but that's a one-time shot picture.

Mexico City is much, much more impoverished than NYC.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That NYC "slum" picture cracks me up!! That picture is probably of the Bronx in the late 1970's and early 1980's. "Slums" like that are RARE in New York City today. Poverty exists, but that's a one-time shot picture.

Mexico City is much, much more impoverished than NYC.
I agree NYC has cleaned up, you can still find some pretty slum areas in the Bronx or (Not NYC) Newark. Basically the slums have been pushed out via gentrification.

Have you been to Mexico City lately? I have heard it to be much nicer now, we all know how Americans have a bad and wrongful impression of Mexico.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 PM

16 posts, read 78,797 times
Well I am from Mexico City and have visited New York, and let me tell you Mexico City and New York are more similar than anyone may think. They are both very big cities, which gives them a special vibe. Mexico City can also be referred to as a city that never sleeps. Something is always going on, all day, all night. People rush, rush, rush. It can be overwhelming for people from small towns, but if you're born and raised in a big city, if you move to a small quiet town you feel so bored and out of place. When I visited New York I loved the quick pace, how fast it moved. I felt curiously at home.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Not even close NYC is like 20 times safer even if you think that Mexico city is more urban or more cosmopolitan it doesnt matter to me because you are way more likey to get shot in the face.
Also Mexico is more impoverished as a whole so there is less weath to improve the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas