Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

I'd rather be in Sao Paulo over Mexico City.

But, comparing to NYC? You just can't compare to NYC. NYC is one of the top 3-4 cities in the world....maybe London, Tokyo and Hong Kong are the ones compareable.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 AM

356 posts, read 1,066,040 times
I'd pick Mexico city over NYC . Both cities certainly have that hustle and bustle energy that can only be found in large cities. However, as I walked the streets Of NYC, i realized how quiet it is compared to mexico city. In df, there is so much music, dancing, street food, vendors, it just makes it all the more fascinating. Not to mention, MC has some phenomenal architecture. I swear at times you feel like in Paris, Spain, NYC, north African and south american cities all in one area.

Those comments that devalue Mexico city, you haven't been, it's obvious. Mexico city isn't what it used to be, it's changing.. NYC maybe economically richer but Df isn't that far behind. And speaking of wealth, Mexico city Is far richer in cultural inheritance than any other city in n America. Remember when NYC was nothing Mexico city was known as tenochitlan and was bustling centre of commerce, entertainment, arts, business, trade etc.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Oh and to add more .. The cultural attractions in and around NYC are nice but overrated, statue of liberty? What a bore it isn't anywhere near as immense or jaw droppIng as say, Teotihuacan. Surely, NYC dazzles you with its skyscrapers and topography, being near the water makes it all the more appealIng. This alone would topple everything you've ever heard about Df, but look closer.. Mexico city has more baroque churches, monasteries and colonial palaces than any other city in the americas. Has more museums and theaters than Nyc, London and Paris, individually.has the second largest public square in the world. Is also home tO the second most visited catholic site in the wOrld after the Vatican. Has the only Royal castle in the America's. I could go on and on..Mexico city is special !

Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
I'd pick Mexico city over NYC . Both cities certainly have that hustle and bustle energy that can only be found in large cities. However, as I walked the streets Of NYC, i realized how quiet it is compared to mexico city. In df, there is so much music, dancing, street food, vendors, it just makes it all the more fascinating. Not to mention, MC has some phenomenal architecture. I swear at times you feel like in Paris, Spain, NYC, north African and south american cities all in one area.

Those comments that devalue Mexico city, you haven't been, it's obvious. Mexico city isn't what it used to be, it's changing.. NYC maybe economically richer but Df isn't that far behind. And speaking of wealth, Mexico city Is far richer in cultural inheritance than any other city in n America. Remember when NYC was nothing Mexico city was known as tenochitlan and was bustling centre of commerce, entertainment, arts, business, trade etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
Oh and to add more .. The cultural attractions in and around NYC are nice but overrated, statue of liberty? What a bore it isn't anywhere near as immense or jaw droppIng as say, Teotihuacan. Surely, NYC dazzles you with its skyscrapers and topography, being near the water makes it all the more appealIng. This alone would topple everything you've ever heard about Df, but look closer.. Mexico city has more baroque churches, monasteries and colonial palaces than any other city in the americas. Has more museums and theaters than Nyc, London and Paris, individually.has the second largest public square in the world. Is also home tO the second most visited catholic site in the wOrld after the Vatican. Has the only Royal castle in the America's. I could go on and on..Mexico city is special !
I agree with the hustle and bustle of NYC being a bit less especially at night. I think both are sort of tied in terms of architecture with each specializing in different things, but with NYC ending up with greater diversity in architecture overall. There are some finer points you might have missed though. DF is not just a little behind NYC in terms of the economy, but massively behind. This isn't just in size, but also total influence. And as far as Mexico City having more museums, it has to be tempered with the quantity and quality of the museums as well as the museum collections. The Met, the Louvre, and the British Museum all have incredibly large and famed collections which are more or less unmatched in the rest of the world.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 PM

771 posts, read 1,459,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpo123 View Post
crime in manhattan= not bad. i can walk around night time and not care about wearing my panny/jumping into cabs.

crime in mexico city= my work will not allow me to
a. go out without armed guards
b. take cabs that aren't owend by the hotel chain
c. wander off of the street connecting hotel to office.
a. What? That's a bit over the top in my opinion, its not a war zone.
b. Good. Cabs in Mexico City are a dicey business.
c. Depends on were you are and what time it is.

That said, I would pick New York City. But to be honest, I'd rather not live in either.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I agree with the hustle and bustle of NYC being a bit less especially at night. I think both are sort of tied in terms of architecture with each specializing in different things, but with NYC ending up with greater diversity in architecture overall. There are some finer points you might have missed though. DF is not just a little behind NYC in terms of the economy, but massively behind. This isn't just in size, but also total influence. And as far as Mexico City having more museums, it has to be tempered with the quantity and quality of the museums as well as the museum collections. The Met, the Louvre, and the British Museum all have incredibly large and famed collections which are more or less unmatched in the rest of the world.
The world’s 25 most economically powerful cities.

NYC ranks at no. 2 and Mexico city at 16. While it is behind, it's certainly not bad for a city that has such a horrid reputation. It's progressing

I think both cities are extremely diverse in terms of architectures. Both absolutely stunning, without a doubt. However, I'm not sure if NYC is more diverse, I didn't see Aztec architecture stand next to colonial Spanish and contemporary architecture all within relative distance.

If NYC has the met and Paris the louvre then Mexico city has the national anthropology museum, which is always Proclaimed the best museum of its class in the world.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
I do love Mexico City

Link

However crime and air quality is an issue. I still stick to NYC mainly because of weather and location (just to name a few)

Old 03-17-2012, 05:38 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
As far as I know from someone who is from Mexico City, NYC is a lot safer than Mexico City.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:40 AM

8 posts, read 39,402 times
new york city, my city, is one of the greatest in the world...although i understand that sydney, australia is also fabulous. hey, i've lived in nyc my whole life..it has everything one could ask for.. the only hurdle is finding an affordable apartment or home. one can live outside the 5 boroughs and commute, however. considering the multitudes of peoples living here, it's a very safe 24/7 city.
at least you don't have to watch your back as in mexico city, rio de janeiro,brasil lima ,peru etc etc.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas