Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:26 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Please clarify:
Did you not see the comment I qouted?

Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Did you not see the comment I qouted?
I saw your comment, and the comment you quoted.

I'm essentially asking why you think that experience is anything new under the sun or doesn't apply to basically any civilization on earth at some point or another?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:46 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:

I'm essentially asking why you think that experience is anything new under the sun or doesn't apply to basically any civilization on earth at some point or another?
I never wrote anything like that. Are you implying because it has happened before that genocide or slavery is some how ok or acceptable? You had no problem with the comment about reducing Native population yet you take issue with mine?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:58 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Quote:

So by your logic it is ok to kill or rape because it is not a new phenomenom.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That's how they justified taking Jamaica away from the Spanish and many other areas.

With due respect to you the British never succeeded in taking any land that the Spanish really wanted for themselves. In 1655 when the British invaded Jamaica the population was so small that it immediately fled to the hills, the Taino population all but wiped out by diseases and slavery. This when a very small fleet captained by an incompetent drunk arrived, having failed in capturing Santo Domingo.

The small Eastern Caribbean islands, weren't even settled by the Spanish, who feared the Caribs, and Trinidad was even more neglected by the Spanish. Fearing that it might become a base for pirates they implored Catholics to settle and French planters arrived from French Caribbean islands. So were the Caribbean coast of much of Central America and the South American region between the Orinoco and the Amazon.

Both the British and the Spanish were horrible colonizers, so please don't get into some notion that one is lying about the other who weren't so bad after all.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
So by your logic it is ok to kill or rape because it is not a new phenomenom.
Wrong. That actually is a misstatement of logic, but thanks for playing.

First off, it IS wrong to rape and kill.

What's also wrong, however, is to hold the grandson of a murderer or a rapist accountable for what their grandfather did.

It's also wrong to cast stones against that grandson of a murderer when your own great grandfather raped or killed someone else.

The productive thing to do: Figure out how you will move forward with the lot history has provided you to work with.

Face it, even the Spaniards and Portuguese were once colonized, pillaged and oppressed by Africans, hundreds of years before they ever oppressed an African themselves in turn. A few Indian tribes can probably lay claim to having never committed atrocities, war or enslavement of others... but honestly we wouldn't even know that, because record keeping and waxing on about the injustice of colonization and empire is a thing that didn't really exist until the 1700s-1800s.

It's sad that history isn't really taught in school these days without an agenda.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I never wrote anything like that. Are you implying because it has happened before that genocide or slavery is some how ok or acceptable? You had no problem with the comment about reducing Native population yet you take issue with mine?

Nope. Not implying it all.

Just looking for moral consistency. I see it's in short supply around here.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:00 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempranillo View Post
Let's talk about the elephant in the room.

The ex-colonies which are in better shape than latin countries are those ones wich has reduced to a minimum the native population. You can look all around the world.

Claim that Spain went there to blah, blah ,blah ... and the others powers were to stablish "inclusive progressive societies " it's not only false, it's stupid, you only look to USA, Canada, Australia, why don't you look to India, Somalia, Jamaica, Haiti,SouthAfrica, Sudan, Malasya...

The USA had fougth for what they have, you intead, blame anothers for your faults, And that is the main reason of the hate to the spanish.
I don't hate Spaniards. I don't hate anyone. Hate is a strong word. I am against the false simplistic notion that the Spaniards/Portuguese only brought good and came to civilize the Americas. How hard is it for you to not take things personally and look at a situation objectively?

Is Spain to blame for current problems in LA? No. Are Latin Americans to blame for their current problems? Yes. However, the INSTITUTIONS established in Latin America were and still are not beneficial to society as a whole. There was already violence here, but an extreme amount of religious violence and racism was also brought here. A majority of the Spaniards/Portuguese who arrived here were not enlightened individuals. There was genocide of massive amounts of people. Nepotism and Corruption were allowed to flourish in massive amounts. You think hundreds of years of backwards institutions go away quickly? Why do you think even countries with large European poulations like Argentina and even Brazil( similar situation with the Portuguese) have such high levels of corruption and nepotism?

I am against the notion that the Spaniards/Portuguese came to civilize the Americas. And if you do an extensive analysis of US colonizers vs Spanish colonizers, the deduction is that there was a huge difference in goals in the 'new world', ties to the colony, and ideas as to how society should be built. ROOTS of societies are integral! That is my point.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Maybe because cacao and chocolate are two different things?

And I have never hear anyone from Spain use the word "cacao", and I have met a lot of them, and, none have ever mentioned the Spanish heritage of Americans nor Spanish Empire, in fact, most are quite ignorant about that.

The Spanish you have met should be very weird.
The Spanish I met were my roomates, neighbors, and university professors. Common folk. Experiences are different when you live somewhere versus meeting people randomly outside of their environment.

The item debated was powdered chocolate used for making chocolate milk. Thank you for trying to educating me on a product that is native to my culture.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Yeah this was very odd. Regardless of all of the genocides that have occurred around the world, the genocide of the Native Americans in the Americas is the most downplayed and still even continues to today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas