Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 PM

125 posts, read 206,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
I dated a Tejana girl whose father was bitterly anti-Spanish. He was mestizo and, like one of the previous posters, carried a lot of resentment due to the history of the Spanish occupation of his country (Mexico).
I have never heard, read or seen Latin Americans have hatred towards the Spanish. That is really weird for that man to have such resentment.
Reading Latin American newspapers as well as Spanish ones, one can read the comments that people leave about each other, they are in general warm and friendly. The Spanish and the Latin Americans are very closely intertwined. With the help of new technologies such as the internet and the ease of travel; has made those peoples even much much closer.

All these countries can enter Spain without a Visa. Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Chile, Ecuador, El Salvador Filipinas,Honduras, Méjico, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Portugal, Uruguay y Venezuela.
For the most part Spanish can enter any Latin American country without a visa.

Pasaportes, Visados, y Documentos de Viajes para Extranjeros

Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diet1 View Post
I have never heard, read or seen Latin Americans have hatred towards the Spanish. That is really weird for that man to have such resentment.
Reading Latin American newspapers as well as Spanish ones, one can read the comments that people leave about each other, they are in general warm and friendly. The Spanish and the Latin Americans are very closely intertwined. With the help of new technologies such as the internet and the ease of travel; has made those peoples even much much closer.

All these countries can enter Spain without a Visa. Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Chile, Ecuador, El Salvador Filipinas,Honduras, Méjico, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Portugal, Uruguay y Venezuela.
For the most part Spanish can enter any Latin American country without a visa.

Pasaportes, Visados, y Documentos de Viajes para Extranjeros
I didn't know that up to now, Filipinos can still enter Spain without a visa. I used to go there before but coming from Portugal so of course there's no emigration. I knew Filipinos could go to Spain without a visa 20 years ago but I thought because of European Union, they are already required to have a visa. I'm sure, if many knew, there will be more Filipinos going to Spain.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 08-26-2013 at 07:20 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
That is not true, many Latinos look at Spain as the "madre patria" (motherland). Now with Spaniards it might be a little different.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I have heard so much that the Latin Americans really hate the Spanish people. And also the Argentinians. I haven't met that many Spanish people but the ones I've met have been pretty friendly to me. I liked their "can do" attitude and their laidbackness. They don't seem to worry about the big things in life and they always say "no pasa nada". Of course this is only based on the few Spanish people I met. Spanish people haven't asked me about my race or nationality either. I enjoy their presence and generally the Spanish remind me a lot of my Mexican people nand other Latino people.
I grew up in Venezuela and I think it has the third largest Spanish community outside of Spain
Venezuela is known as the "Eight Canary Island"

Spanish people owe a lot to Venezuela for opening our arms to them a few decades ago when Spain was going through hard times.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 AM

15 posts, read 20,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
I dated a Tejana girl whose father was bitterly anti-Spanish. He was mestizo and, like one of the previous posters, carried a lot of resentment due to the history of the Spanish occupation of his country (Mexico).

Their hate is directed against white Mexicans, that are mostly Spanish, the so-called "gachupines".

Gachupines and "criollos" (white Mexican oligarchy) also pay lip service to the anti-Spanish card to save their skin.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I have heard so much that the Latin Americans really hate the Spanish people. And also the Argentinians. I haven't met that many Spanish people but the ones I've met have been pretty friendly to me. I liked their "can do" attitude and their laidbackness. They don't seem to worry about the big things in life and they always say "no pasa nada". Of course this is only based on the few Spanish people I met. Spanish people haven't asked me about my race or nationality either. I enjoy their presence and generally the Spanish remind me a lot of my Mexican people nand other Latino people.
I've heard people say us spanish people a racist. I'M NOT RACIST. I don't care about nationalities I have friends from all over the world. Most english hate spanish people because they say we are racist. Racism here it's like in every country.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:03 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipstah.please View Post
I've heard people say us spanish people a racist. I'M NOT RACIST. I don't care about nationalities I have friends from all over the world. Most english hate spanish people because they say we are racist. Racism here it's like in every country.
The reason some people say the Spanish are racist is because of the wave of xenophobia that affected the country during the last couple of decades. I personally don't think the Spanish are racist, or at least not more racist than other people. Most people ignore that Spain had almost no foreigners and in less than a decade the country was literally flooded with foreigners, mostly Latin Americans. With such a rapid influx of foreign people, its only natural that many locals would feel overwhelm and express their concerns. Very few countries have experience such a rapid and massive influx of people in such a short period of time, so its natural that most people don't understand why many Spanish feel overwhelmed.

The English vs Spanish resentment goes back centuries all the way to colonial times. This is evident in how the English exaggerated many of the things the Spanish did in Latin American, all with the purpose of legitimizing their assault on the Spanish colonies and take away Spanish land in the Western Hemisphere. That's how they justified taking Jamaica away from the Spanish and many other areas.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I've lived in Miami, spent time in Colombia, currently in Chile, dated many Latina women and have had many Latino friends. Never once has Spain even come up in a conversation, besides once when one of my girlfriends moved to Spain to study.

Maybe this is seen by losers on the internet, but honestly the general public really doesn't care.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM

16 posts, read 31,049 times
I was like this but it's self hatred because I have Spaniard blood in me and rejecting that side of me is like rejecting who I am, plus we don't even practice the culture of the indigenous people in my country, I know nothing about it, I don't speak the language, I don't practice the culture, so if I can't beat them (Spain), then I might as well join them. Now I have rejected the indigenous part of me. It's useless, pointless, I don't even like being mixed with the indigenous people of El Salvador, it's embarrassing really, it didn't even take long for Spain to take over that country, plus they weren't smart people. Long Live Spain! The motherland. I don't like being mixed with mestizo, it's a turn off. Plus, too many times people from my country get confused by people with mexico, I don't like that. I wish I looked more like people from Argentina with light skin and light brown eyes and dark blonde hair.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:35 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
People should accept everything that they are. Every single person that came before us and gave a little bit of themselves (genetically, culturally, and in other ways) to make us who we are are important enough to be recognized.

This is especially true for people that are conspicuously mixed. Whenever you look in the mirror, remember that the person who's reflection is looking back at you took thousands of years in the making. If you are mixed, that person in the reflection is an Indigenous, a European, and an African looking right back at the very same time. It has been like that since the day you were born and it will continue to be like that until the day you are in a casket and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. You can fool yourself into thinking that you are just one thing, but fooling yourself is of no use because nothing will change about you.

There's no point in rejecting anything because its not as if it will disappear if you spend your entire life self-hating.

History is a messy thing, sometimes glorious and at other times purely shameful. Its like that because history is the story of man and men are naturally imperfect. We mess up, we do evil things, we also do things right, and we do great things. At the end of the day, we must simply accept it for what it is because, whether we like it or not, everything that happened needed to happen and exactly as it did happen in order for us to come into existence and for us to be who we are today.

For better or worse, this is the truth!

To hate the Spaniards when the overwhelming majority of Latin Americans from Mexico to Argentina have a Spanish hidden within them regardless if its clearly visible or not is quite stupid. Same goes with everyone else.

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-22-2014 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas