Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,889 times

Advertisements

I am Cuban of French and Spanish and Moroccan ancestry, I am a Sephardic Jew. My jewish maternal great grandmother, was born in Morocco, of Spanish-Jewish descendants expelled from spain during the inquisition, but returned to spain and then came to Cuba. My dad's mother was a French immigrant, and my dad's father was born in Galicia Spain. My Mom's father was a first Generation Cuban, of Galician's parents, and my mother's mother was a first generation Cuban. That I guess makes me somewhat of a third generation Cuban (Jewban).

Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Remember that many very light-skin mulatto are considered white in many countries and are treated as such, with all the benefits and disadvantage (mostly benefits though) that entails.

It doesn't makes sense to use the U.S. definition of white in societies where the bottom limit is much lower and those people are treated as white.

This reminds me of the mulatto/black issue. In countries like the USA where mulattoes and blacks are seen as the same, not always but definitely most of the times, guess what treatment the mulatto gets? You got it, they are treated as if they are black even though they truly aren't.
are.

There is so much wrong with what you wrote, and the sad thing is that you don't even know this.

You write as if there is something wrong with being black, so that rational people should flee from such a categorization. That something is wrong with the USA where mulattos are treated like (gasp...how horrible) blacks, and that Latin America is better because mulattos can escape such a horrible fate of being black! That its OK for blacks to be treated as an inferior group.

Guess what. The relative socio economic position of blacks in the USA is BETTER than it is in virtually every Latin American country where they are a minority.

WHY?

Because the mulattos, who had more access to education than did those who were fully black, were forced to agitate to improve conditions for ALL blacks, because that was the only way that they would obtain full social and economic rights.

But in your eyes Latin America is "better" because mulattos don't have to be treated as blacks, and it is easier for those who are light skinned to escape all of that and (all praises) reach the exalted position of being white.

Now I know that you will never understand the silliness of what you wrote and how it makes you look to black identified people.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:32 AM

12 posts, read 12,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
80 percent of the miami cubans are not white. 1 to 5 percent are white. The rest are light skinned to dark skinned mulattoes and afrocubans.

Around 30 are white, according to government studies using blood samples. It might be somewhat less now, because whites are leaving. The rest are divided in 200 denominations, from white-mulattoes, to white blacks, jabaos, narra negro, malayo negro, negro teléfono, criollito (white mulatto), etc, etc.

Whites do get along with everybody, but there's a feud between light mulattoes or people that try to pass as white with blacks, dark mulattoes "con atraso". There was even a war in which mulattoe soldiers and police killed 20.000 blacks.

Mulattoes are considered mulattoes, not black.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:57 AM

798 posts, read 1,459,391 times
Most Cubans are mulattoes and blacks since they have strong ancestry from Africa. Particularly from the Kongo. But in regarding the supposedly "whites" you can still see them but with rude features resembling to some type of black ingrained on them: big nose, head, eyes, curly hair, white and black skin etc. The big head is predominant on them, it is pretty distinctive. They also have a strong vocal cords proper from the race blacks, that's why they seem to be yelling all the time. Truly whites have more ivory-pearl skin and their are more refined.

As an interesting characteristic they have a strange tendency to do bad things. Every place they settle down they destroy it.

Last edited by angelscorpio; 07-25-2015 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-25-2015, 11:46 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Food for thought as tge next couple of decades get here and the Hispanic effect entrenches itself even deeper ibto the American psyche. This will definitely cause the opinions of some people in this thread to become outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Times
The data provide new evidence consistent with the theory that Hispanics may assimilate as white Americans, like the Italians or Irish, who were not universally considered to be white. It is particularly significant that the shift toward white identification withstood a decade of debate over immigration and the country’s exploding Hispanic population, which might have been expected to inculcate or reinforce a sense of Hispanic identity, or draw attention to divisions that remain between Hispanics and non-Hispanic white Americans. Research suggests that Hispanics who have experienced discrimination are less likely to identify as white.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/up...ves-white.html

Had the internet and City-Data existed at the beginning of the 20th century, I'm sure today we would be reading in disbelief the threads where people assure everyone else that Jews, Italians, and Irish weren't white. I think the same will happen once the Hispanic influences reaches its zenith in the USA. In this case of who's what, the USA will simply become more like what most of this hemisphere already is, and in essence USA categorizations will resemble more how it currently exist in Cuba.

I do wonder if changes will also take place with other groups. Most mulattoes of the New World are seen and identify as mixed/mulattoes. The USA is more of an exception with this, not just compared to the rest of this hemisphere but also globally. Most mulattoes live in the Western Hemisphere and in Africa, Europe probably had the third largest population of mulattoes. In the vast majority of the countries with significant mulatto populations, the mulattoes are seen/identify as mixed/mulatto. Its only natural that the minority eventually adopts the definitions of the majority, especially if there is a significant and constant influx of people from countries where that label/identity is in use, such as Cuba.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
I have many Cuban friends and I spoke with one about his ancestry. He said a few of his great grandparents were from Galicia. He doesn't look like he has any non-european ancestry.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Food for thought as tge next couple of decades get here and the Hispanic effect entrenches itself even deeper ibto the American psyche. This will definitely cause the opinions of some people in this thread to become outdated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/up...ves-white.html

Had the internet and City-Data existed at the beginning of the 20th century, I'm sure today we would be reading in disbelief the threads where people assure everyone else that Jews, Italians, and Irish weren't white. I think the same will happen once the Hispanic influences reaches its zenith in the USA. In this case of who's what, the USA will simply become more like what most of this hemisphere already is, and in essence USA categorizations will resemble more how it currently exist in Cuba.

I do wonder if changes will also take place with other groups. Most mulattoes of the New World are seen and identify as mixed/mulattoes. The USA is more of an exception with this, not just compared to the rest of this hemisphere but also globally. Most mulattoes live in the Western Hemisphere and in Africa, Europe probably had the third largest population of mulattoes. In the vast majority of the countries with significant mulatto populations, the mulattoes are seen/identify as mixed/mulatto. Its only natural that the minority eventually adopts the definitions of the majority, especially if there is a significant and constant influx of people from countries where that label/identity is in use, such as Cuba.

Didn't Desi Arnaz face discrimination?

Old 07-26-2015, 11:44 AM

772 posts, read 1,141,723 times
Accordingly to Wiki, they have African and European ancestry primarily, with some Native American. Of course, some will deny that they have African ancestry, even though the typical one looks like a mixed-race person from the United States.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:23 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Didn't Desi Arnaz face discrimination?

Don't many NY Puerto Ricans who definitely fall into that light mulatto category, which is supposed to "rescue" them from being classified with those "horrible creatures" called blacks? In fact in NYC, using most measures, Puerto Ricans are WORSE off than are non Hispanic blacks. We are talking about a group which is now long passed its "immigrant" phase. So that isn't the excuse.

Note that what is emphasized isn't the wrongs of racism throughout the Americas, in how people who are classified as "black" must endure. Its the fact that in the USA mulattos are thrown under the bus with the blacks, and in Latin America light mulattos can avoid that fate.

I stress light mulatto because I have been called a racist by several Latin Americans, because I call myself "black" and not "dark mulatto". They are insulted that I have an opportunity to avoid being "black" but yet refuse to take advantage of it, so it must reflect some antipathy to whites (even though even they would consider me very far from being white).

And yet folks with my phenotype aren't much better off throughout Latin America, than are their more African looking counterparts. Its a divide and rule scam to ensure that all the marginalized groups fight amongst each other than joining the fight against racism.

Note the whole thrust of poor Antonio R. He still doesn't seem to understand how out of step his views are. Not what one would expect in 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas