Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 AM

686 posts, read 1,105,306 times

Advertisements

We live in central ABQ, and notice a rust color in the water (hot or cold). I see evidence of rust staining in sinks and toilets, too.

I have never experienced anything like this, and am new to ABQ, so is there something going on here that I need to know about? Is the rust color coming from the water supply, or in the pipes in the house?

Is it safe to drink? Is there somewhere I can go to get the water tested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,446,002 times
That is definitely not normal and probably a very localized problem.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:49 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,072,824 times
Could be coming from your water heater.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,900,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
We live in central ABQ, and notice a rust color in the water (hot or cold). I see evidence of rust staining in sinks and toilets, too.

I have never experienced anything like this, and am new to ABQ, so is there something going on here that I need to know about? Is the rust color coming from the water supply, or in the pipes in the house?

Is it safe to drink? Is there somewhere I can go to get the water tested?
The rust color can be iron in the water, I see the staining on some houses in the ABQ area. Are you on well water or city water?

There are a variety of places which test water, popular because of the hardness of the water.

I would call the water authority, see what they say: Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority - Contact Us

Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Could be coming from your water heater.
The water heater is only 6 years old and looks to be in good shape. Plus we are getting the rust via cold water connections, too (toilet, sink).

Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The rust color can be iron in the water, I see the staining on some houses in the ABQ area. Are you on well water or city water?

There are a variety of places which test water, popular because of the hardness of the water.

I would call the water authority, see what they say: Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority - Contact Us
City water.

My greatest concern is the staining of whites in the washer. I have read that unless one has a specific health concern RE too much iron in the diet, that rust in the water is pretty harmless.

More a nuisance than anything else.

I will do some checking, make some calls.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
City water.

My greatest concern is the staining of whites in the washer. I have read that unless one has a specific health concern RE too much iron in the diet, that rust in the water is pretty harmless.

More a nuisance than anything else.

I will do some checking, make some calls.
Learned today it is a city issue - evidently just prior to our move-in, a water pipe was damaged during construction on our street, and they are still dealing with flushing out the system.

So this should clear up, sooner or later.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:48 PM

10 posts, read 10,576 times
Wonder if I can add onto this thread, a year and half or so later. I'm seriously considering retiring to Albuquerque, have family there, have visited and like it, etc. But on one of web sites, (sorry a competing site) I think, the so-called "water quality" is listed at 40. The best quality being 100, and the U.S. average being 55. But no information is given on (sorry a competing site) as to what precisely that number means, and a Google search was less than useful.

Wondering if people in general seem to do fine with the tap water in Alb. Or is there enough concern to use water filters, assuming they really help. I'll ask my family that's there, but wanted to ask here as well. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-18-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 07:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,900,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftm68_99 View Post
Wonder if I can add onto this thread, a year and half or so later. I'm seriously considering retiring to Albuquerque, have family there, have visited and like it, etc. But on one of web sites, (sorry a competing site) I think, the so-called "water quality" is listed at 40. The best quality being 100, and the U.S. average being 55. But no information is given on (sorry a competing site) as to what precisely that number means, and a Google search was less than useful.

Wondering if people in general seem to do fine with the tap water in Alb. Or is there enough concern to use water filters, assuming they really help. I'll ask my family that's there, but wanted to ask here as well. Thanks for any info.
1. The site you listed is a site which is competing with City-Data. This may answer your questions on the term: COMPETING SITES: What is considered a competing site?

2. From the city of Albuquerque, you might go through their information: Water Quality Report

3. Here are the water reports for Rio Rancho: http://www.ci.rio-rancho.nm.us/index.aspx?NID=1525

Water reports are more than just one number as you were discussing earlier, the above reports are 9 to 12 pages long (if I recall correctly)

4. We have lived in the area (Rio Rancho) over 15 years. We use city water and are pleased. The water in New Mexico is usually a bit "Hard". We have lived places with well water (PA, FL, MD and a few other temporary places) and would prefer city water...

Here are the major threads in the Albuquerque Forum regarding drinking water:
Water issues in New Mexico
Albuquerque Water Supply
Hard Water - ABQ
Is there really a Kirtland AFB oil/water contamination issue?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-18-2015 at 07:28 PM..

Old 11-25-2015, 09:10 PM

10 posts, read 10,576 times
Thanks for all the info, Poncho_NM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque