Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 03:44 PM

8 posts, read 10,877 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I just searched the forum and read about every post written since 2008 mentioning seafood processing jobs. One thread asked exactly what I want to know, and in the two or three pages of comments, nobody answered the question. The replies were mostly people reminiscing about their crazy daily life during a season in Dutch Harbor from many years ago.

I have submitted applications to pretty much every single Dutch Harbor seafood processing position and every at-sea processing position.

Now, I'm being contacted for interviews. I have a few this week. Are there any companies to avoid? Are there any companies that are "better" to work for? My next two interviews are with UniSea and Westward.

I've Googled every variation of the question I can think of, and I haven't found a breakdown of who is good to work for and who is not. The only thing I've found is a few reviews on websites like GlassDoor and Indeed, but not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 10:44 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,889,815 times
What "better" are you looking for?
Both our legitimate companies that have been working there for years. Both will be working the same fisheries. I've not heard that either has a poor safety reputation.

Both will have Contracts noting wages, season lengths, shift schedule, room and board etc.

Learn what you can and make the decision based on that.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 10,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
What "better" are you looking for?
Both our legitimate companies that have been working there for years. Both will be working the same fisheries. I've not heard that either has a poor safety reputation.

Both will have Contracts noting wages, season lengths, shift schedule, room and board etc.

Learn what you can and make the decision based on that.
Sorry for such a confusing question. I thought maybe someone here could recommend one company over another, or whether one company should be avoided.

Thanks for your helpful comment.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StankinJankin View Post
Sorry for such a confusing question. I thought maybe someone here could recommend one company over another, or whether one company should be avoided.

Thanks for your helpful comment.
Best of luck, hope you find the best fit.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:16 AM

6,574 posts, read 7,169,834 times
I think the only real way your going to find this info is from a bar in town.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:20 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,927,484 times
If you don't get a response here call the seafood office at the Dept of Labor in Anchorage. They work with and help recruit for seafood workers and may know the particulars you are looking for. Not sure they will say one is better than another although they may be able to tell you about living/working conditions at specific plants.

https://jobs.alaska.gov/seafood/recruitment.html

Old 09-29-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I think the only real way your going to find this info is from a bar in town.
I've been to the bars in town, not a good strategy.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:24 AM

Stankin, looking over your post again you mention "at sea" processors too. For the two shore plants noted not going to be a big difference either way.

Going off shore it does get tougher, not as simple scram if you want to, although travel isn't easy for anyone since scheduled commercial flights stopped. Sounds like this is your first time, unless you a young adventurous type I'd start shore then evaluate from there.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:14 AM

6,574 posts, read 7,169,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I've been to the bars in town, not a good strategy.
I get lots of useful info from locals in small town bars, stuff I can't find online. Figured it might be a way for people in the know to learn things that won't be printed.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,790,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I get lots of useful info from locals in small town bars, stuff I can't find online. Figured it might be a way for people in the know to learn things that won't be printed.
You might hear some second-hand stuff in the local bars, idk; I'm with Sockeye on them not being a reliable resource. Locals don't work in these plants as a general rule, and people who do work in them literally have no time off for shooting the breeze in the bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska