Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 10:50 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You might hear some second-hand stuff in the local bars, idk; I'm with Sockeye on them not being a reliable resource. Locals don't work in these plants as a general rule, and people who do work in them literally have no time off for shooting the breeze in the bars.
Thanks Metlakatla, that is exactly my thinking.
I will also expound that the people that work these plants and happen to be at the local bar are not in best judgement. Been there (way back in the day!) and done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 06:54 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
We’re two pages in and nobody has given an answer to OP question. Who can they talk to, to help choose between two companies? This info will only come from people who have worked in that industry right now, but where can he find said people? But then again, the industry I own in, I wouldn’t be able to tell him how to find that info either. I figured people in the industry come back to town and could loiter to a bar before leaving.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:25 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
We’re two pages in and nobody has given an answer to OP question. Who can they talk to, to help choose between two companies? This info will only come from people who have worked in that industry right now, but where can he find said people? But then again, the industry I own in, I wouldn’t be able to tell him how to find that info either. I figured people in the industry come back to town and could loiter to a bar before leaving.
Well, consider that there may not be anyone who's a current member of C-D who CAN answer the OP's question! Somehow I doubt people are deliberately skirting around it!!

Old 09-30-2020, 10:46 AM

8 posts, read 10,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Sounds like this is your first time, unless you a young adventurous type I'd start shore then evaluate from there.
Yes, this will be my first time. Sounds like a good call, sticking to the shore for my first season if I do end up having a choice. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

I think he already did get an answer, actually, from someone who's been in the industry for years. There will be little to no difference between the two plants the OP is considering. Another poster pointed him to the seafood office at the Dept of Labor in Anchorage, which is probably a better resource than people in a bar. Keep in mind that the OP will be making the decision of where to work from afar rather than flying up and out to Dutch and hanging around local bars prior to making that decision.

Also, many of those who go out to Dutch Harbor to work at these jobs are from other countries and don't speak English as their first language.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:00 AM

1,169 posts, read 749,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Also, many of those who go out to Dutch Harbor to work at these jobs are from other countries and don't speak English as their first language.
This. And "adventure" is what you make it I suppose. You'll make money because you won't have time to 1. do anything else, and 2. spend it.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
This. And "adventure" is what you make it I suppose. You'll make money because you won't have time to 1. do anything else, and 2. spend it.
And that's the only reason to hire on to one of these jobs. If looking for adventure someone will surely be disappointment.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:40 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StankinJankin View Post
Hey everyone,

I just searched the forum and read about every post written since 2008 mentioning seafood processing jobs. One thread asked exactly what I want to know, and in the two or three pages of comments, nobody answered the question. The replies were mostly people reminiscing about their crazy daily life during a season in Dutch Harbor from many years ago.

I have submitted applications to pretty much every single Dutch Harbor seafood processing position and every at-sea processing position.

Now, I'm being contacted for interviews. I have a few this week. Are there any companies to avoid? Are there any companies that are "better" to work for? My next two interviews are with UniSea and Westward.

I've Googled every variation of the question I can think of, and I haven't found a breakdown of who is good to work for and who is not. The only thing I've found is a few reviews on websites like GlassDoor and Indeed, but not much.
Quite honestly both are their own beast even though they do the same thing. I worked at Unisea many moons ago and worked in contact with both plants workers so I heard it all!
Unisea, what can I say they rule the island! Pretty much most people on island came from Unisea at one point in their lives, lol no joke. They are closer in town than Westward and room for advancement is very abundant(pre COVID at lesst) They have a bar and hotel and if you enjoy hospitality Jobs, they sre great to work for.
Westward is all by itself and some like that. You will spend quite a few bucks in taxi fare just to get away to stores.
I hear Westward works more hours as I think they can push you during peak season to 18 hours a day while Unisea is pretty strict at 12 hours a day. Both have decent food I am partial to Unisea on that end. Both are very gossipy and up in each other business like nowhere you will ever see. However you will meet great people at both plants. I like Alyeska plant. They are a smaller one that probably recruits far less than the others. But both are great stepping stones if you want to get a feel for a working island where work is always around. If it were me I would try harder for the at sea processors like American Sesfoods, Glacier boats or Enterprise. Golden Alaska is a good one though I forgot company name. I would avoid Icicle and maybe Trident. I hear it is hard to get with some of the at sea processors but if you are in Seattle area where they mostly hire, you can hustle the companies to find out when they do open hiring. The good boats ate good because people hardly leave but it is possible to get on at sone point. Right now though not sure where any of them stand with COVID.

Last edited by laina1980; 10-06-2020 at 08:55 PM..

Old 10-08-2020, 04:03 AM

There OP, Laina gave you the best answer. Some differences that may factor in your answer. I do recall hearing Unisea kept to 12 hour shifts while many companies go to 16 or more.

As for COVID, the AK seafood industries began a task force back in March involving Health Care experts, regional clinics, State and local Govt agencies, Coast Guard, tribal leaders etc. Safety protocols and best practices were developed and mandated for private fishers, Process vessels, and shore plants. There has been a few outbreaks but they have been contained and not spread to local communities. The biggest issues were with a couple of American Seafoods vessels and shore ops in populated areas that have a local workforce.

As an example, the local clinic in the village of Naknek (population under 600) was responsible for administering over 7000 CV tests in the 7 week Bristol Bay fishery.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:20 PM

233 posts, read 417,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StankinJankin View Post
Hey everyone,

I just searched the forum and read about every post written since 2008 mentioning seafood processing jobs. One thread asked exactly what I want to know, and in the two or three pages of comments, nobody answered the question. The replies were mostly people reminiscing about their crazy daily life during a season in Dutch Harbor from many years ago.

I have submitted applications to pretty much every single Dutch Harbor seafood processing position and every at-sea processing position.

Now, I'm being contacted for interviews. I have a few this week. Are there any companies to avoid? Are there any companies that are "better" to work for? My next two interviews are with UniSea and Westward.

I've Googled every variation of the question I can think of, and I haven't found a breakdown of who is good to work for and who is not. The only thing I've found is a few reviews on websites like GlassDoor and Indeed, but not much.
I just left Dutch Harbor in July, I lived there for 13 months.

Unisea is bigger, they'd be my #1, Westward would be #2. And Unisea is downtown and you can walk to the other stores, Westward is way out on its own. Trident is also there, I don't know much about their operations, they are very secretive. I'd avoid Alyeska, they're really trashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska