Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 05:20 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I have many cops in my family - the numbers are as bogus as the unemployment numbers. Politicians do not want you to know how bad it is. Cops hands are tied these days and crimes are not being reported as they should be or lowered to a lesser offense. I wish people would wake up and open their eyes to what is going on.
Your post is meaningless if all you can say is "I have many cops in my family".

I might as well say "the earth is flat" and I know this because my brother is a geologist.

The statistics in the NY Times are taken from the FBI's uniform crime reports. The crime reports are based on data reported from all 50 states.

While homicides and other violent crimes are down nationally, there are individual cities where they continue to increase. Chicago and Washington, D.C. are in this category. The fact that the reports show crime increasing in some places shows their authenticity. If the numbers were falsified it would show crime going down everywhere.

Really, if I was going to respond to this I certainly would have more to say than "I have many cops in my family".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 05:51 PM

540 posts, read 555,502 times
The secondary source that could say crime is potentially rising is the National Crime Victimization Survey, which, if we were talking about 2022, we do have the data for. However, for last year, we'll probably have to wait until at least September. It's also not as good for looking at localized data. Generally it pretty much corelates to the FBI data, but there was a split last year. The NCVS said violent crime did rise, but was more back to about the pre-COVID normal, not crazy high levels. The main disconcerting thing I see NCVS data for last year in comparison to pre-COVID is that weapon use looks to be way higher during violent crime. While guns did increase and still do look to be ahead of other weapons, those other weapons shot up much more and are looking like they could grow more comparable to guns in rates (2019 Gun: 8.3 Knife: 5.6 Other: 4.5-though that's abnormally low, was 6.9 the year prior; 2022 Gun: 9.7 Knife: 7.6 Other: 8.1).

Old 01-27-2024, 08:31 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Joad View Post
Actually, while MSNBC is far left, CNBC leans right. See Maria Bartiromo for example.
CNBC is left, despite your post.

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/cnbc

Old 01-28-2024, 05:09 AM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Your post is meaningless if all you can say is "I have many cops in my family".

I might as well say "the earth is flat" and I know this because my brother is a geologist.

The statistics in the NY Times are taken from the FBI's uniform crime reports. The crime reports are based on data reported from all 50 states.

While homicides and other violent crimes are down nationally, there are individual cities where they continue to increase. Chicago and Washington, D.C. are in this category. The fact that the reports show crime increasing in some places shows their authenticity. If the numbers were falsified it would show crime going down everywhere.

Really, if I was going to respond to this I certainly would have more to say than "I have many cops in my family".
You keep giving examples of reports which aren't complete and up to date because many of these crimes have been bargained down and don't represent the true crime. Plus you still trust the FBI - even my cousin who retired from them thinks they are a joke these days. The boots on the ground are the real deal - the jokers at the top will do anything to make this administration look good. But continue to think it's all rainbows and unicorns.

Yeah - I guess real experience from experts or those that deal with it day in and day out while you sit at your computer means nothing.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:06 AM

857 posts, read 584,422 times
Quote:
You keep giving examples of reports which aren't complete and up to date because many of these crimes have been bargained down and don't represent the true crime. Plus you still trust the FBI - even my cousin who retired from them thinks they are a joke these days. The boots on the ground are the real deal - the jokers at the top will do anything to make this administration look good. But continue to think it's all rainbows and unicorns.

Yeah - I guess real experience from experts or those that deal with it day in and day out while you sit at your computer means nothing.
“Trust me bro, I know a guy”

Old 01-28-2024, 12:15 PM

1,017 posts, read 637,410 times
Quote:
Which makes this whole discussion meaningless. The FBI doesn't recommend this data be used to "rank" cities this way, but it gets the clicks and makes people feel comfortable about their choices and reinforces their hate of those other people so it's not going to stop.

The FBI UCR tracks arrests. They don’t track convictions. They don't track false arrests. They don't track overturned convictions.

So yeah, if you like rankings that can be manipulated by "Scorpion" style police units, small town chiefs and Sheriffs who keep things off the books or coordinate with the local Da and judges to target particular groups... you can make the data say whatever you want it to say after you set the parameters to villify whoever it is you are after. Regular people with jobs and clean records who just mind their business go about their lives normally.

Old 01-28-2024, 03:58 PM

24 posts, read 10,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
CNBC is left, despite your post.

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/cnbc
I read your provide link. Both you and I are wrong as Allsides rates CNBC as center.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:42 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Joad View Post
I read your provide link. Both you and I are wrong as Allsides rates CNBC as center.
This one confirms CNBC is left wing propagandists. Certainly far from right as you said.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cnbc/

Better yet, look at those “10 states”, that drive this silly thread. All 10 states are deep red. Why say this when every blue state, like New York and California are bleeding residents as they flee to Texas and Florida.

The whole article is an Opinion hack job. And there are two threads here pushing that one article. OP wins on pushing false narrative in a non politics forum.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:05 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:

I don't think you even know what you are talking about. If you did, you'd know that the reports reflect crimes as reported to local police agencies. It has nothing at all to with crimes that are "bargained down" once they enter the court system. We are talking about crime at the stage when it is first reported.

Yeah, I trust the FBI. I refuse to buy into the idea that every government agency is involved in a grand conspiracy without any proof save a few statements from crackpot politicians.

A statement from a few police in one or two localities that "crime is rising" on a national basis means nothing. They aren't in a position to know unless they can evaluate national data from multiple jurisdictions all around the country.

I think you've brought up the democrats in at least three posts. Now you are talking about the "administration". Frankly, I think you are just concocting posts based on political biases you have.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:18 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:

I think you've brought up the democrats in at least three posts. Now you are talking about the "administration". Frankly, I think you are just concocting posts based on political biases you have.
And you are not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama