Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 07:54 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Our son and Dil live in Tuscaloosa and have secure careers. They just had a baby. Our other child and grands live in the West coast. We are in our 70’s and like where we live, harsh winters and all.
I like Tuscaloosa, what I have seen of it. We have visited a few times before. We rented an apartment for 2 weeks in order to visit the little guy and I am quite attracted to this place - the weather is balmy right now, love the river walk, the greenery and woods and river, small but nice down town, the campus area, the library over there. There are a few bird clubs that i may join, they seem quite laid back. I am hoping the university will have some cultural activities, lectures etc that we can attend. Maybe a book club.
My daughter thinks it is a very bad idea, she wishes we would all just move to the west coast. My Dil is like me, she can be happy in any place. My son worries we may regret moving from a nice town we have lived in for a long time, a nice house, to an apartment like the one we have rented. It is the Rivermont, if you are familiar with the area. It seems well maintained, the apartment is basic but great windows looking out into the woods.
I think if we rent an apartment here to begin with, and decide we need more space, a small house, we can easily do that. We will of course majorly downsize.
I am worried about what I will miss if we move from where we live. We have a great senior center and a library which are very active, with fitness classes and opportunities for volunteering, and cultural activities. An active socially engaged community. We make use of everything they offer. Although we live near a great city, our visits into the city have become rare ever since Covid. I dont miss it all that much, but do like having the opportunity if we wish to.
I am looking for collective wisdom and perspectives from the forum. Give it to me, Alabama! If anyone moved here for reasons such as ours, please share your experience.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 09:10 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Posting on the Alabama board will give you the Alabama view.

If you post on the Retirement board, you will get opinions about moving closer to children and grandchildren. A different perspective that is independent of the location. There will be valuable insight about the "moving to be near grandchildren" syndrome.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:29 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Tuscaloosa will have some cool things going on. It's a university town, after all.

Another place to look is the Southside of Birmingham and the suburbs to its immediate south. It's an easy drive to Tuscaloosa with a lot of additional amenities.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Tuscaloosa will have some cool things going on. It's a university town, after all.

Another place to look is the Southside of Birmingham and the suburbs to its immediate south. It's an easy drive to Tuscaloosa with a lot of additional amenities.
I have considered it. Birmingham also has a university campus. also the airport. Any particular residential areas you can suggest?

Old 05-30-2023, 10:04 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I have considered it. Birmingham also has a university campus. also the airport. Any particular residential areas you can suggest?

A lot depends on what your housing needs are and what you can afford. The Forest Park area of Birmingham is pretty graceful and near a lot of amenities, not to mention a quick hop to the airport. There's also the Homewood and Mountain Brook sections as well. My best suggestion to you is to drive around with Zillow loaded on your phone to see what passes the sniff test.

You'll also find a boat load of great restaurants and cultural offerings. Birmingham punches above its weight in both departments.

The other thing to consider is healthcare. If you and your spouse are retirees, there's a lot more in terms of healthcare options in Birmingham. In fact, the healthcare community in Birmingham is superb.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
A lot depends on what your housing needs are and what you can afford. The Forest Park area of Birmingham is pretty graceful and near a lot of amenities, not to mention a quick hop to the airport. There's also the Homewood and Mountain Brook sections as well. My best suggestion to you is to drive around with Zillow loaded on your phone to see what passes the sniff test.

You'll also find a boat load of great restaurants and cultural offerings. Birmingham punches above its weight in both departments.

The other thing to consider is healthcare. If you and your spouse are retirees, there's a lot more in terms of healthcare options in Birmingham. In fact, the healthcare community in Birmingham is superb.
Good information, Thanks.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:14 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
I think both Lillie767 and MinivanDriver have excellent advice.
I do not meet the qualifications to make an informed decision at this time; maybe one day.

Perhaps you may be able to benefit from the best of both worlds. If and I know it could be a Big IF... If you can afford a small house or condo in the Tuscaloosa area then you can use it when it is not college football season when I suspect the town may be a little too crazy for you. During the football season, you could rent the house or condo through VRBO or Airbnb; maybe make enough to carry half the year's mortgage. Spend the remainder of the time in month long or better increments with the kids in Tuscaloosa. Just a thought.

Old 06-18-2023, 05:31 PM

204 posts, read 134,663 times
When you posted NE did you mean Nebraska? Or New England? Or the Northeast in general? Not that I guess it really matters; ain't none of 'em AL. lol

Old 06-18-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
When you posted NE did you mean Nebraska? Or New England? Or the Northeast in general? Not that I guess it really matters; ain't none of 'em AL. lol
New England in the NorthEast

Old 06-18-2023, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I think both Lillie767 and MinivanDriver have excellent advice.
I do not meet the qualifications to make an informed decision at this time; maybe one day.

Perhaps you may be able to benefit from the best of both worlds. If and I know it could be a Big IF... If you can afford a small house or condo in the Tuscaloosa area then you can use it when it is not college football season when I suspect the town may be a little too crazy for you. During the football season, you could rent the house or condo through VRBO or Airbnb; maybe make enough to carry half the year's mortgage. Spend the remainder of the time in month long or better increments with the kids in Tuscaloosa. Just a thought.
Thank you, a very good one. What I am aiming to do is completely relieve myself of maintenance and home ownership. One reason apartment living is appealing. Perhaps I need to learn the ins and outs of how Air BnB works as an owner. Very tempting though. We saw some very nice condo developments and also small houses with HOA which were well maintained. Perhaps I should ask my daughter and SIL to invest with me. She is fearless unlike me . She and her husband are into investments and they can handle the details.Alabama though may not be hot investment property. But who knows. I hear it is the new Florida for retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama