Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 08:20 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,850,696 times

Advertisements

I get it. You are in the high risk group and you need to be concerned. I can appreciate that so I hope you don't think that I don't care. My problem is people wanting to dictate what the rest of us do and would just assume destroy people financial lives by shutting everything down. The shutdown did not affect me at all luckily but I know plenty who struggled and still are struggling. They couldn't work, couldn't provide for their families, got behind on bills and will most likely struggle to catch up for the next year.

The majority of us have no reason to be overly concerned about Covid 19. It isn't that bad unless you are high risk. If you are high risk, you have to be concerned about other viruses and illnesses as well. When you say I have a cavalier attitude, you are basing that off of one or two posts that you don't personally care for so you lash out. What you don't know is when I started becoming sick, I was very careful not to contribute to the spread. I didn't go visit anyone that might be high risk for 3 weeks. I avoided people in general until I was not contagious. It isn't like I got sick and then ran around walmart breathing on everyone or something. The scary part for you would be to know that I would have been capable of doing so though. While I was sick, although I felt terrible, I could have gotten out and gone shopping but I didn't because I didn't want to contribute to the spread. However, you nor anyone else is going to tell me when or where I can go or force me to wear a mask. I am just simply not going to do it and when I am out and about, I have noticed I am in the majority.

You don't have to be sorry for me. I caught it, I figured I would at some point just like most others are going to before it is over with. I have had it and it was just an illness and I am back on with life just like it never happened other than having to bicker with you about it. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 08:26 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,067,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I get it. You are in the high risk group and you need to be concerned. I can appreciate that so I hope you don't think that I don't care. My problem is people wanting to dictate what the rest of us do and would just assume destroy people financial lives by shutting everything down. The shutdown did not affect me at all luckily but I know plenty who struggled and still are struggling. They couldn't work, couldn't provide for their families, got behind on bills and will most likely struggle to catch up for the next year.

The majority of us have no reason to be overly concerned about Covid 19. It isn't that bad unless you are high risk. If you are high risk, you have to be concerned about other viruses and illnesses as well. When you say I have a cavalier attitude, you are basing that off of one or two posts that you don't personally care for so you lash out. What you don't know is when I started becoming sick, I was very careful not to contribute to the spread. I didn't go visit anyone that might be high risk for 3 weeks. I avoided people in general until I was not contagious. It isn't like I got sick and then ran around walmart breathing on everyone or something. The scary part for you would be to know that I would have been capable of doing so though. While I was sick, although I felt terrible, I could have gotten out and gone shopping but I didn't because I didn't want to contribute to the spread. However, you nor anyone else is going to tell me when or where I can go or force me to wear a mask. I am just simply not going to do it and when I am out and about, I have noticed I am in the majority.

You don't have to be sorry for me. I caught it, I figured I would at some point just like most others are going to before it is over with. I have had it and it was just an illness and I am back on with life just like it never happened other than having to bicker with you about it. lol

You misspelled 'narcissistic.'

Let's just begin with the statement, "When I started becoming sick, I was very careful not to contribute to the spread." Time and again, public health authorities have pointed out that you can be asymptomatic for 10-14 days. That's why we wear masks, because we're supposed to assume we have it even if we don't.

So during that time before you became sick, you were likely spreading it to everyone you encountered. Despite all the zillion warnings and advisories you apparently ignored. Maybe if you hadn't tuned out the news you might have learned that.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:40 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
"However, you nor anyone else is going to tell me when or where I can go or force me to wear a mask. I am just simply not going to do it and when I am out and about, I have noticed I am in the majority."

You saw the signs as a kid "No shirt, no shoes, no service." Those are health laws, just like no spitting in the subway.

Get used to the idea that any business can demand you wear a mask on premises. Businesses might serve the public, but every person who enters is a guest. Those who refuse to comply with rules get told to leave, and if they do not are guilty of trespass. I've tossed many out of theatres over the years. The very few who refused to comply got a ride in the back of a police car.

Compliance with health laws varies over time. You might not get chastized for failing to wear a mask now, but if the hospitals start overflowing, your peers will demand it.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"However, you nor anyone else is going to tell me when or where I can go or force me to wear a mask. I am just simply not going to do it and when I am out and about, I have noticed I am in the majority."

You saw the signs as a kid "No shirt, no shoes, no service." Those are health laws, just like no spitting in the subway.

Get used to the idea that any business can demand you wear a mask on premises. Businesses might serve the public, but every person who enters is a guest. Those who refuse to comply with rules get told to leave, and if they do not are guilty of trespass. I've tossed many out of theatres over the years. The very few who refused to comply got a ride in the back of a police car.

Compliance with health laws varies over time. You might not get chastized for failing to wear a mask now, but if the hospitals start overflowing, your peers will demand it.

It's really hard to fathom how someone could be so nakedly self-centered.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:10 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,850,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Let's just begin with the statement, "When I started becoming sick, I was very careful not to contribute to the spread." Time and again, public health authorities have pointed out that you can be asymptomatic for 10-14 days. That's why we wear masks, because we're supposed to assume we have it even if we don't.

So during that time before you became sick, you were likely spreading it to everyone you encountered. Despite all the zillion warnings and advisories you apparently ignored. Maybe if you hadn't tuned out the news you might have learned that.

That is sort of how it spreads.....it is how myself and everyone else has gotten it. I got it....I was sick a few days....big deal. Are you going to still be mad it me when you get it and are sick sometime in the next two years? You need to get your head wrapped around the fact that you will most likely catch it at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

So now we have really began to reach for arguments I guess. "No shirt, no shoes, no service" are not health laws. They are not laws at all. It is an interesting story in history you should read up on. There were a couple of things at play when those signs started popping up. Civil rights and the hippies in the 60's. Businesses including restaurants tried to shun the hippies and keep them away with the no shirt, no shoe, no service signs. In the south the signs caught on as a way to work around the civil rights movement. They couldn't put up "Whites only" signs so they used the no shirt, no shoes, no service signs to keep "undesirables" out. Read between the lines on that one. They even went as far as to put "By order of The Board of Health" on them although there were no such laws and who was the "Board of Health?" So basically, those signs were used to try to keep out those who did not conform to the desire of others, in particular the business owner, at the time.

I will explain a little bit on those laws for you briefly. You can't be arrested for not wearing shoes in a restaurant. Just like you can't be arrested for vulgar language or other such socially undesirable behaviors. The business owner, manager or employee can however ask you to leave the property and if you do not comply, you could be arrested for trespassing. I don't know why someone wouldn't leave once asked but anyway that is how it works. Trespassing is also just a misdemeanor.

So my point is, there are no such laws just like there is not a law requiring a mask. Even if a law was passed it would probably be one of when in public which applies to public property (i.e. Government properties). Businesses are private property so they can have their own rules such as requiring a mask while inside the business but it is just a rule. They can ask you to leave if you don't comply. You know.....like Costco is doing now. Which is fine because people can choose not to shop there if they do not like it.

My question to you is this. How would restaurants require us to wear masks? I can't figure out for the life of me how to get food in my mouth while wearing a mask. lol So, do we just close all restaurants and put them out of business and never open another restaurant until there is a proven vaccine years from now or what? How do we handle those sorts of things? How do we go to a water park or the public pool or the pools in all these nice subdivisions and wear a mask? I could go on but it would be pointless because I am sure I will get an illogical response regardless.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
That is sort of how it spreads.....it is how myself and everyone else has gotten it. I got it....I was sick a few days....big deal. Are you going to still be mad it me when you get it and are sick sometime in the next two years? You need to get your head wrapped around the fact that you will most likely catch it at some point.

Wow. This is amazing.

Since you've chosen scientific illiteracy, let me explain it in nice, simple words: If you and the rest of the boneheads had worn masks, it would not have spread. And we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:28 PM

842 posts, read 830,987 times
Quote:
So no big deal that during your pre-symptomatic period with the infection, you may have spread it to a number of others, some of whom could be in high risk categories and had no option to quarantine? When instead you could have tolerated the mild inconvenience of wearing a mask and social distancing in public places to greatly reduce the likelihood of transmission?

I will never EVER understand this mentality. This is one of the most disgusting periods in our history that I can recall with the blatant selfishness and complete lack of empathy so many have.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:07 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
Quote:

So now we have really began to reach for arguments I guess. "No shirt, no shoes, no service" are not health laws. They are not laws at all. It is an interesting story in history you should read up on. There were a couple of things at play when those signs started popping up. Civil rights and the hippies in the 60's. Businesses including restaurants tried to shun the hippies and keep them away with the no shirt, no shoe, no service signs. In the south the signs caught on as a way to work around the civil rights movement. They couldn't put up "Whites only" signs so they used the no shirt, no shoes, no service signs to keep "undesirables" out. Read between the lines on that one. They even went as far as to put "By order of The Board of Health" on them although there were no such laws and who was the "Board of Health?" So basically, those signs were used to try to keep out those who did not conform to the desire of others, in particular the business owner, at the time.

I will explain a little bit on those laws for you briefly. You can't be arrested for not wearing shoes in a restaurant. Just like you can't be arrested for vulgar language or other such socially undesirable behaviors. The business owner, manager or employee can however ask you to leave the property and if you do not comply, you could be arrested for trespassing. I don't know why someone wouldn't leave once asked but anyway that is how it works. Trespassing is also just a misdemeanor.

So my point is, there are no such laws just like there is not a law requiring a mask. Even if a law was passed it would probably be one of when in public which applies to public property (i.e. Government properties). Businesses are private property so they can have their own rules such as requiring a mask while inside the business but it is just a rule. They can ask you to leave if you don't comply. You know.....like Costco is doing now. Which is fine because people can choose not to shop there if they do not like it.

My question to you is this. How would restaurants require us to wear masks? I can't figure out for the life of me how to get food in my mouth while wearing a mask. lol So, do we just close all restaurants and put them out of business and never open another restaurant until there is a proven vaccine years from now or what? How do we handle those sorts of things? How do we go to a water park or the public pool or the pools in all these nice subdivisions and wear a mask? I could go on but it would be pointless because I am sure I will get an illogical response regardless.
You are absolutely right about restaurants and dining inside. It is an excellent point. Movie theatres are another place of concern, as there is a concession stand. Simply put, rather than the government allotting money to keep such businesses afloat until viral activity has died back, it has made a decision that opening them up is needed for the economy, and - to someone - an "acceptable" number of people will die. Yes, there are mitigation steps, such as reduced seating capacity, shields, etc. Those will reduce but not eliminate transmission.

Businesses may enact rules that are stronger than required by government or health department, but not go with less restrictive rules. A bar cannot say that 17 YOs will be served. A mask ordinance or law would have effect inside a business. Those not complying could have a license pulled or certificate of occupancy revoked, etc.

Much of the rest of your post just re-words what I have already said.

Alabama has relied on voluntary cooperation and treated us as adults. Should enough people not act like adults and the number and rate of deaths increase, I am sure other measures will be taken.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:49 AM

11,876 posts, read 5,847,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Unfortunately - the WHO has now decided that while possible - it isn't probable that people are catching it from asymptomatic people. They are learning as it goes along.

https://time.com/5850256/who-asymptomatic-spread/

Old 06-27-2020, 08:17 AM

842 posts, read 830,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Unfortunately - the WHO has now decided that while possible - it isn't probable that people are catching it from asymptomatic people. They are learning as it goes along.

https://time.com/5850256/who-asymptomatic-spread/
They made an error before by not distinguishing between asymptomatic people who never have symptoms versus pre-symptomatic people who have no symptoms yet, but will eventually get sick. Pre-symptomatic people are likely infectious, and masks will absorb a lot of their respiratory droplets containing the virus and/or reduce the conversion of their larger droplets to micro-droplets that circulate in air currents for long periods after they exhale, talk, etc. The micro-droplets (aerosols) are likely to be the main mode of virus transmission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama