Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 08:53 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,906,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In truth, it was here, but the state was behind in terms of testing and response. I heard an interview with Merrill, the Secretary of State, who essentially said that we don't have a problem yet and we aren't going to tell you our plan until we have a problem.
As of this date we are still behind, in fact we have not left the starting gate! Of a population of almost 5 million, to date only 20,605 have been tested. In our area it is almost impossible to get tested.
Is our state government that incompetent? I see these other governors taking the lead, where is ours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 01:42 PM

654 posts, read 590,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
As of this date we are still behind, in fact we have not left the starting gate! Of a population of almost 5 million, to date only 20,605 have been tested. In our area it is almost impossible to get tested.
Is our state government that incompetent? I see these other governors taking the lead, where is ours?
Serious question: is it really the state's responsibility to have the capacity or ability to test for this virus? There is a state board of health. For what it is worth; here is their mission:

Strategic Plan | Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH)

Is this where blame for the lack of tests, test centers, or test evaluation labs should be placed? I don't know.

I would think the fault is primarily with the our local doctors, labs, or hospitals. And even then, how much responsibility should they really shoulder?

I'm not an Ivey fan. I still hold a grudge against her as State Treasurer and the near collapse of the state's Prepaid Affordable College Tuition (PACT) program. I see her more of a figure head; much like George W Bush in during his administration.

Regardless, is she responsible for not having test centers in place?

Are we going to hold her or the president of the United States for that matter, responsible when our state and our country is hit with the Icky Icky Woo virus? Okay, now I'm going too far. My point is this; any one organization can only plan for a small number of possible bad things that can happen to it and to its area of authority.

The rest; the rest is up to all of us collectively to pull together and be part of the solution.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:37 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,906,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Serious question: is it really the state's responsibility to have the capacity or ability to test for this virus? There is a state board of health. For what it is worth; here is their mission:

Strategic Plan | Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH)

Is this where blame for the lack of tests, test centers, or test evaluation labs should be placed? I don't know.
Just comparing our states results compared to the rest of the nation. I see several governors seem to take the lead position, Ivey is no where to be seen!

Old 06-23-2020, 07:47 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
I hate to break it to everyone but in all likelihood almost everyone is going to get Covid 19 at some point in the next couple of years. It is extremely contagious and at some point you will almost undoubtedly be exposed. If you are waiting on a vaccine, good luck and have fun hiding in your home for at least the next two years. If one is developed within the next year, it will have been rushed and with little testing to see it's side effects and long term effectiveness. There is no way in the world I would be the guinea pig for a rushed vaccine. Then there is the fact that once one is developed and released to production, the entire world will want it so it will have to be administered in phases with the highest risk getting the first round, then probably in age groups from there.....over 75, over 65, over 55 and on down until finally enough can be produced for the bulk of the general population. Unless you are high risk or older, you most likely wouldn't even be able to receive a future vaccine anytime in the next 2 to 3 years.

The next problem is it already mutated and they had to start again with the latest strain for vaccine development. The current strain dominant in the US is not the same strain that started this in Wuhan. By the time a vaccine is developed and enough is produced for the population, there is a very real chance it will be outdated due to a new strain.

So my point in all of this is we are really just trying to keep the hospitals from being overloaded with patients so they can manage them as they come in. We can't and are not really "stopping the spread" because there is no stopping it. Everyone is likely to get it at some point. The thing is, for most people it isn't that bad. It is sort of like the flu....you just get really sick for 5 to 10 days and then you go on your way. This is coming from someone who just had it a few weeks ago. We had it and now we are moving on with life. I put zero effort into trying not to catch it because I really wanted to just get it and get it over with. So while some of you are pacing the floors worrying, I have just continued on with life. Do yourself a favor and turn off CNN and quit watching the case count and letting them worry you to death and just get on with life. You will be glad you did.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:27 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I hate to break it to everyone but in all likelihood almost everyone is going to get Covid 19 at some point in the next couple of years. It is extremely contagious and at some point you will almost undoubtedly be exposed. If you are waiting on a vaccine, good luck and have fun hiding in your home for at least the next two years. If one is developed within the next year, it will have been rushed and with little testing to see it's side effects and long term effectiveness. There is no way in the world I would be the guinea pig for a rushed vaccine. Then there is the fact that once one is developed and released to production, the entire world will want it so it will have to be administered in phases with the highest risk getting the first round, then probably in age groups from there.....over 75, over 65, over 55 and on down until finally enough can be produced for the bulk of the general population. Unless you are high risk or older, you most likely wouldn't even be able to receive a future vaccine anytime in the next 2 to 3 years.

The next problem is it already mutated and they had to start again with the latest strain for vaccine development. The current strain dominant in the US is not the same strain that started this in Wuhan. By the time a vaccine is developed and enough is produced for the population, there is a very real chance it will be outdated due to a new strain.

So my point in all of this is we are really just trying to keep the hospitals from being overloaded with patients so they can manage them as they come in. We can't and are not really "stopping the spread" because there is no stopping it. Everyone is likely to get it at some point. The thing is, for most people it isn't that bad. It is sort of like the flu....you just get really sick for 5 to 10 days and then you go on your way. This is coming from someone who just had it a few weeks ago. We had it and now we are moving on with life. I put zero effort into trying not to catch it because I really wanted to just get it and get it over with. So while some of you are pacing the floors worrying, I have just continued on with life. Do yourself a favor and turn off CNN and quit watching the case count and letting them worry you to death and just get on with life. You will be glad you did.
Your approach is called "fatalism." Fatalism is appropriate to prevent wasting time and energy in planning against truly inevitable scenarios. However, your application of it has serious flaws.

New Zealand has shown that it IS possible to stop the spread completely within a population and area. That alone deflates your core proposition - point, set, match.

What we don't have in the U.S. that New Zealand does is a wise and trusted leadership that accepts science, and a population with enough trust to follow government guidelines to the extent required for successful isolation and elimination of any spread. Science DOES work. Do not confuse it with the political hacks that constitute the W.H.O. and have repeatedly shown themselves to be idiots of the highest order.

The population of the U.S. could have been protected, and still could with real leadership. Even the bulk of supporters of the president (in other policy areas) understand that at a gut level. The media, stupid as ever, missed that the Tulsa rally accommodated all who wanted to show up - regardless of any punking of the numbers of potential attendees. Far fewer than half of real supporters who would otherwise have attended showed up. Either they no longer support, or support science more, or have fears of contagion that kept them away. The response of the U.S. government to the virus has literally been treasonous, with more deaths than the Vietnam war. The citizens are MORE understanding than the government, which is a sad indictment but true. I am more than p*ssed off at the new swamp.

The above paragraph supports your argument, so I can partially understand your belief of inevitability of infection. I too have a strong streak of cynicism and little trust of the politics of this country or of big business. I've placed my stock market bet on one drug maker striking the mother lode with a treatment worth trillions.

I also have serious doubts about any vaccine. Part of my doubts come from the characteristics of some viruses, where a second infection is far worse than the initial one. If this virus has similar characteristics, a vaccine could end up being a death sentence - just as INTENTIONALLY dropping guard to catch the virus would.

Your act of seeking the virus out and catching it was, in my opinion, beyond stupid. That is not a personal attack and no reflection on any other aspects of your personality and life, and is exactly what I would say to my closest friend, BECAUSE of caring about them. I am sorry that you caught the virus. Please do not try to turn that infection into a badge of honor or an attempt to justify your lack of prudence. It is not and does not.

Even if the distribution of the virus is inevitable (based upon stupidity in high places) NOT catching it allows more time for life-saving protocols to be developed. Aides was never eliminated, but now it is no longer a death sentence. CV will likely have similar drug cocktails that vastly reduce mortality. Those take time to develop, and avoiding the virus in the meantime is prudent, not only for oneself, but for the sake of loved ones.

The larger stakes, from a societal point of view, are the economic ramifications of both the virus and attempts to stop or blunt it. I fully agree that many of the measures have been aimed at preventing mass infections that overwhelm the healthcare system. Look beyond that though, and you will see that a large part of that response was to prevent unrest with the current government that would break down order, leading to an ousting of those in power ins hopes of a more competent group.

Those leaders who have been honest with their constituents and acted responsibly and with balance between health and the economy have insured the good will of their teams and their hold on the reins. Those who have let their horses run wild without consistent direction and wagons tip over will also get what they deserve.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:53 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:

This is all a bunch of ridiculous word salad, given how countries around the globe have managed to stop coronavirus in its tracks. And your decision to seek out the virus and contract it is just the most idiotic thing I've ever read.

The EU, South Korea, Japan, and New Zealand have all toted up sharp reductions in new cases--a fraction of those in the United States. All because, you know, those countries had competent governmental response. I mean, hey, we're now learning that simply requiring masks led into a dramatic decline of infections: https://globalnews.ca/news/7075024/m...edium=Facebook

Old 06-23-2020, 06:03 PM

842 posts, read 827,740 times
If people would simply show some basic human decency by wearing masks in public (especially indoors) and maintain safe distances from others, we could keep businesses open AND slow the spread.

The virus mutating over time does NOT mean that vaccine work has to restart from scratch. The immune system primarily "looks" at the protein molecules on the surface of the virus to target with its weaponry. Covid-19 can only change its surface so much without losing its ability to enter the cells where it reproduces. This is not the same as influenza virus, which has numerous strains and the ability to mutate substantially each season without losing its ability to enter its host cells and reproduce.

A vaccine is always a pro versus con decision. As long as the vaccine doesn't trigger a more severe immune response when someone actually gets infected with Covid-19 and exacerbate the disease, rather than prevent it, it will almost certainly be safe. Yes, it will have been rushed out faster than any vaccine in history, so having longer term safety studies would be very comforting. It becomes a question about whether you want to roll the dice with Covid-19 or roll the dice on a vaccine. I will almost certainly take my chances with a vaccine as opposed to the real deal.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:04 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
First, I never said I "seeked the virus out" and caught it intentionally. I just don't sit around worrying about a virus that just makes you sick for a few days like most others and then you move on with your life. I caught it, got sick for a few days and felt bad and now I am on with life again.

Secondly, I don't follow politics per se, and I never watch the so called "news." I haven't watched a second of CNN or Fox News in so long I don't even remember what year it was. Stop watching that politicized, sensational garbage and you will be in a better mood every single day.

Thirdly, don't go around beating the New Zealand drum too much. It has only been a few months and it is likely they will battle this thing for years. It is a remote tiny island country in case anyone didn't notice with a whopping population of 5 million. "Stopping it in its tracks" on a tiny island with a relatively small population where you can control it's borders easily compared to stopping it in most any other society in the world and in particular the US is like comparing apples to grapes. Our government is so dysfunctional all the time that they can't come to agreements to do simple things regardless of who the president is so let's not make this a political argument. If Hillary Clinton was president, we would still have the exact same mess but instead of blaming it on her, CNN and everyone who likes to argue about it would be blaming it on Republican senators or whoever. I get sick of hearing all of it and that is why I don't watch the media crap anymore.

So anyway, bicker away. Worry about it and complain. It is likely you will get it and then afterwards you will be like me and say what was all the fuss about? At the end of the day, it is just another virus. Don't get me wrong, I was sick, the sickest I have been in a very long time, but it wasn't like I was on my deathbed or anything. I still got up and moved around but just didn't have the energy to do a whole lot.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:00 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
First, I never said I "seeked the virus out" and caught it intentionally. I just don't sit around worrying about a virus that just makes you sick for a few days like most others and then you move on with your life. I caught it, got sick for a few days and felt bad and now I am on with life again.

The word is sought, but whatever. I recognize that you did not go out of your way to catch it, you simply did not follow any of the readily available advice put forth on ways to avoid infection. By catching it, you also likely contributed to the spread. In my book, that equates to socially irresponsible, maybe not on the level of typhoid Mary, but with similar ethics.

Secondly, I don't follow politics per se, and I never watch the so called "news." I haven't watched a second of CNN or Fox News in so long I don't even remember what year it was. Stop watching that politicized, sensational garbage and you will be in a better mood every single day.

I've stopped watching "news" on television over the past month. The mind-numbing stupidity and shrillness finally exceeded my breaking point. I agree with your point.

Thirdly, don't go around beating the New Zealand drum too much. It has only been a few months and it is likely they will battle this thing for years. It is a remote tiny island country in case anyone didn't notice with a whopping population of 5 million. "Stopping it in its tracks" on a tiny island with a relatively small population where you can control it's borders easily compared to stopping it in most any other society in the world and in particular the US is like comparing apples to grapes. Our government is so dysfunctional all the time that they can't come to agreements to do simple things regardless of who the president is so let's not make this a political argument. If Hillary Clinton was president, we would still have the exact same mess but instead of blaming it on her, CNN and everyone who likes to argue about it would be blaming it on Republican senators or whoever. I get sick of hearing all of it and that is why I don't watch the media crap anymore.

I have previously posted on the unique situation that NZ has, and how it contributed to its success. I agree that the government here is dysfunctional, and am under no illusion that some initial spread could have been avoided. The rest of the political crap is not relevant to personal actions and responsibilities, but a deflection.

So anyway, bicker away. Worry about it and complain. It is likely you will get it and then afterwards you will be like me and say what was all the fuss about? At the end of the day, it is just another virus. Don't get me wrong, I was sick, the sickest I have been in a very long time, but it wasn't like I was on my deathbed or anything. I still got up and moved around but just didn't have the energy to do a whole lot.
You are now the one comparing apples to grapes. I have socks in my sock drawer that are older than many of the posters on the forums. While my health is none of your business, I am in a high risk group. Your cavalier attitude and lack of consideration of others is offensive and deadly to all of us in such situations.

I know that you want to justify your actions and have others come around to your point of view. That is an unwinnable argument. The more you push it, the deeper the hole you dig for yourself.

Again, I am sorry that you caught the virus, and I hope that you don't have to suffer any lingering effects as some have.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:11 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:

If you didn't exercise any of the precautions spelled out clearly and repeatedly by public health officials, then you essentially did seek it out. Anything else is lame rationalization. And the fact that you got it means that you were likely asymptomatic for any number of days. That means you likely spread it to others, potentially even killing someone as a result.

Second, LOTS of countries have managed to stop or dramatically slow the spread of coronavirus, not just New Zealand. Countries that are landlocked. Countries with lots of travelers coming through and a much higher population densty. Further, the United States had successfully stopped other global contagions over the past twenty years such as the swine flu, bird flu, and others. The swine flu killed 500,000 people overseas in 2009. The death toll was 12,000 in the United States, due primarily to a coordinated and coherent government effort. So your statement on that accord is just daft.

You had the coronavirus, but you've evidently fallen victim to the Dunning Krueger Syndrome as well, where everyone suddenly becomes an amateur epidemiologist overnight. I actually know an epidemiologist who teaches at a medical school and he ontradicts everything you've said in your comments on this thread. And when he talks about this virus and the efforts we should be undertaking, I listen. Because he's an expert while you and I are not.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 06-24-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama