Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 11:06 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language by Gretchen McCulloch. https://gretchenmcculloch.com/book/

Some of my take-aways:

Periods (.) are passive aggressive. That's why people use ellipses and similar (,,,,,,) to separate their written thoughts.
I guess I'm offending people all over the internet (no capital I, BTW).

lol no longer means laughing out loud (and is no longer LOL), it is now added as an emotional, softening touch to communications.

Exclamation points are friendly. If you don't use them liberally, you can be considered cold!!!

This book does make me feel just a leeeeeetle bit old.... (it also mentioned that even before the internet, ellipses at the end of a sentence have FOUR dots, not just 3. I've been doing that wrong for years!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 09:29 PM

18 posts, read 12,886 times
Words no longer mean what you think they mean. This is pretty dangerous. LOL

What's next, we have to use grammatically incorrect phrases, such as:

- he don't
- we don't
- I ain't have it

Old 05-05-2022, 06:19 AM

6 posts, read 10,303 times
Ahahahaha

My thoughts are that LOL now means some sarcastic reaction to the message. And so many !!!!! means tooooo emotional reaction, and sometimes it scares me if I don't know this guy who wrote this.
This book is too OLD for modern "rules" of communication on the internet.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:21 AM

4,507 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Remarkably enough, if you write on the internet using standard English grammar, spelling, and usage, while you may be identified as "old", what you write will be understood.

And I'm not trying to be hip/up to date/whatever the right term-du-jour is. I outgrew that at about 15. So I'm going to stick with writing in standard English, though with a few stylistic idiosyncrasies I've picked up through the years.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Remarkably enough, if you write on the internet using standard English grammar, spelling, and usage, while you may be identified as "old", what you write will be understood.

And I'm not trying to be hip/up to date/whatever the right term-du-jour is. I outgrew that at about 15. So I'm going to stick with writing in standard English, though with a few stylistic idiosyncrasies I've picked up through the years.
I agree. My internet writing is pretty much limited to FB comments, and C-D posts anyway although I do text family members. If I tried to change my “style†or vocabulary, I might well be misunderstood. (But things might be different if I was communicating with younger employees.)

If I can’t be myself at my age, when can I?

Old 05-06-2022, 06:40 PM

24 posts, read 17,209 times
This should come as no surprise.

Language is perpetually buffeted by social forces taking it new places. In the case of the internet, it tends to skew young and creative - people in those demographics use it more, especially for communication. the instantaneousness of it favors abbreviations of all sorts, as do the tiny keypads of smartphones.

It's a linguistic Petri dish.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:30 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
I suppose I shouldn't care, because LOL and lol didn't exist before the internet....

spose i shouldnt care coz lol and lol didnt exist before the internet

Old 05-10-2022, 06:54 PM

4,507 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Well, actually lol as slang goes back to House Of God by Samuel Shem, though with a completely different meaning.

Old 05-11-2022, 03:40 AM

6 posts, read 10,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angdesion View Post
Ahahahaha

My thoughts are that LOL now means some sarcastic reaction to the message. And so many !!!!! means tooooo emotional reaction, and sometimes it scares me if I don't know this guy who wrote this.
This book is too OLD for modern "rules" of communication on the internet.

Btw, I found some information about internet language. It seems to me that it's written here more clearly and more modernly. At least the author discusses real topics: The Language Of Youth Online.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:29 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angdesion View Post
Btw, I found some information about internet language. It seems to me that it's written here more clearly and more modernly. At least the author discusses real topics: The Language Of Youth Online.
Did you notice that that site is offering to write school essays?
I assume they're written by AI; the stilted language sounds just like those bad YouTubes.

Even the opening line makes me cringe..."In this time where most people..."
shouldn't that be "when" not "where?" And they want to charge for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing