Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 02:47 AM

6 posts, read 10,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Did you notice that that site is offering to write school essays?
I assume they're written by AI; the stilted language sounds just like those bad YouTubes.

Even the opening line makes me cringe..."In this time where most people..."
shouldn't that be "when" not "where?" And they want to charge for that?

I doubt that this text was written by AI, just because you found a common human error there Like a rushing student writing an essay for a professor and not noticing a simple mistake.
And I also found this article in the public domain (you would know how many times I stumble upon open school essays while looking for some information I need), and I put up with it, hahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 07:02 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Periods (.) are passive aggressive. That's why people use ellipses and similar (,,,,,,) to separate their written thoughts.
There's a few posters on the forum who use commas for ellipses. WHY?

Quote:
Exclamation points are friendly. If you don't use them liberally, you can be considered cold!!!
This sourpuss finds them highly irritating. Then when you meet the person, do they speak like that? Like everything is exciting and full of smiles? No, they do not.

I deal with a lot of email correspondence at work and I can usually decipher a person's gender and general age based on punctuation usage alone. Excessive e-points are a dead giveaway for a female in her 20s. The type that says "super" a lot. When I finally meet the person, I'm usually spot on.

Old 09-18-2023, 05:56 AM

70 posts, read 51,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

I can usually decipher a person's gender and general age based on punctuation usage alone..
Good to see I'm not the only one entertaining myself with this!

Old 09-18-2023, 11:57 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
I was recently befuddled to find out that the words "ok" and "okay" apparently have different meanings, with one being negative or aggressive while the other is positive or conciliatory. Unfortunately for me I cannot remember which form is which so I am likely offending people left and right!!!

https://www.insidehook.com/article/a...k-kk-explained

Old 09-18-2023, 06:25 PM

Great article, thanks for the link. I've never heard of or ever received a "Kk" text. I always spell out okay because OK/ok just looks to slangy in a work environment.

Old 09-18-2023, 07:56 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Why is "newspeak" coming back into mind?

I find it amusing that some 20 somethings think that they have enough knowledge about language to be judgmental. To paraphrase Kathy Bates, "Face it girls, I'm older, I'm wiser, and I have more verbs."

Old 09-18-2023, 09:01 PM

61,657 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Internet language it's just a completely different type of language. It's more like a slang, and seasoned users know the meanings of various abbreviations and acronyms. Other popular trends include the use of excessive punctuation, or lack thereof, writing in all lower-case, emojis, omitting or shortening words in sentences because of character limitations, etc.
Emoticons are important because they compensate for missing face-to-face expressions and hand gestures. Using excessive punctuation is a way of giving emphasis to ones statement or question, or of conveying feeling of anger, doubt, or excitement that isn’t possible if you stick to the rules of writing.

You don't use all that when speaking with someone in person, however some of it already penetrated spoken languages.

I don't see it as a bad thing. Languages evolve all the times. We already added a whole bunch of technical words, abbreviations and acronyms that didn't exist 20-30-50 years ago. We ditched archaisms. Words developed new meanings. What sounds new or awkward now will be soon commonly used by everyone.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:09 PM

That reads like an AI human-edited post.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:12 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Internet language it's just a completely different type of language. It's more like a slang, and seasoned users know the meanings of various abbreviations and acronyms. Other popular trends include the use of excessive punctuation, or lack thereof, writing in all lower-case, emojis, omitting or shortening words in sentences because of character limitations, etc.
Emoticons are important because they compensate for missing face-to-face expressions and hand gestures. Using excessive punctuation is a way of giving emphasis to ones statement or question, or of conveying feeling of anger, doubt, or excitement that isn’t possible if you stick to the rules of writing.

You don't use all that when speaking with someone in person, however some of it already penetrated spoken languages.

I don't see it as a bad thing. Languages evolve all the times. We already added a whole bunch of technical words, abbreviations and acronyms that didn't exist 20-30-50 years ago. We ditched archaisms. Words developed new meanings. What sounds new or awkward now will be soon commonly used by everyone.
The linguist John McWhorter (I've been a big fan of his since I read The Power of Babel years ago) has a Ted Talk on this.

https://www.ted.com/talks/john_mcwho...ng_language_jk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing