Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:25 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times

Advertisements

Making a list of my top 3 choices for major cultural capitals of the world, I also have to acknowledge my cultural sphere of influence is the Western World, and more particularly, the English-speaking Western World. My choices reflect that bias because they are the cities that are culturally significant for the Western World, and for me.

People from East Asia, West Asia, South Asia, Africa, as well as South and Central America are going to find different cities culturally relevant, and I don’t think it’s possible to be completely objective about these sorts of things because we only know about the cultural centers that are relevant to us. We may be aware that others exist and even know which ones they are, but how can we weigh them objectively if they are not part of our sphere of influence? I don’t really know if Hong Kong is more influential than Tokyo, Seoul, or Beijing in East Asia, or whether the Middle East sees Dubai or Istanbul as a more important cultural center. Is Mumbai more culturally important than Delhi because of its film industry? Is Lagos the cultural center of Africa because of its music and film industries, or are other African cities more culturally important? Since I haven’t lived in these regions, I can’t say and won’t try to rank cities that I know are culturally important but cannot really compare to others in the region because I simply don’t know which is more influential.

That said, here are my top 3:

1. London
2. New York City
3. Los Angeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 10:05 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
London?
NYC?
Paris?
LA?
Buenos Aires?
Melbourne?

another one?

with culture I mean a high concentration of theatres, museums, festivals, events, concerts, etc.
St. Petersburg, Russia. Ballet, outstanding museums, historic sites galore, symphony, fine art, beautiful historical architecture, theaters, all spread out in a city on canals, the "Venice of the North".

Old 10-10-2020, 02:53 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,471 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Washington D.C.. Largest concentration of museums in the world, largest library in the world, festivals celebrating something-or-other year round, major universities, beautiful parks and scenery, ethnic groups from all over the world, major 'think-tanks', one of the most educated metropolitan areas in the world, headquarters for organizations like The World Bank, National Academy of Science, Organization of American States (representing the nations of the Western hemisphere), the International Monetary Fund, the National Geographic Society, several symphony orchestras, choral groups and ballet troups, and the headquarters of more associations than anywhere else in the world. Primary Embassies for all but a few countries in the world, arguably the best theater scene outside of NYC and London, monuments galore, and having travelled to most of the cities mentioned here, some of the best architecture and housing stock in the country. It's often overlooked and flies under the radar. Even most of the suburbs are nice.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
This is such an awesome post that I enjoyed reading a lot. It brought me good memories of my time in Paris and London <3 it’s amazing that NYC which is called the “capital of the world” haven’t ever hosted the olympics. In 2005 those three cities plus Moscow were bidding to host the olympics in 2012 And NYC fell behind London, Paris and Madrid. The real competition was always between London and Paris.
Well, New York State did host the Winter Olympics...

Despite having a lot going for it, I think NYC would be a terrible Summer Olympic city. But I don't think it has anything to do with NYC's status as a world city.

The amount and cost of new infrastructure for venues and the Olympic village would be immensely expensive and it probably wouldn't even be able to be located in the city itself, even the outer boroughs.

Even several of New York City's professional sports teams actually have their facilities in neighboring states. At that, most of the existing sports stadiums are smaller than most of the existing former Olympic stadiums.

Basically, it is just logistically and practically a difficult venue.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:07 PM

570 posts, read 509,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Well, New York State did host the Winter Olympics...

Despite having a lot going for it, I think NYC would be a terrible Summer Olympic city. But I don't think it has anything to do with NYC's status as a world city.

The amount and cost of new infrastructure for venues and the Olympic village would be immensely expensive and it probably wouldn't even be able to be located in the city itself, even the outer boroughs.

Even several of New York City's professional sports teams actually have their facilities in neighboring states. At that, most of the existing sports stadiums are smaller than most of the existing former Olympic stadiums.

Basically, it is just logistically and practically a difficult venue.
Well, I actually loved NYC’s plan idea for the olympics 2012. So many things have changed but I think it’s more something to do with the willingness of the city. I think NYC is too greedy and would have never provide those spaces for the general public instead NYC just keeps building ugly tall thin buildings for the billionaires.
https://youtu.be/2MquWONpfAI

Old 10-18-2020, 09:16 AM

38 posts, read 38,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The world is actually divided up into "spheres" (generally based on language) and you have cities (or 2-3) that have a certain amount of dominance over their spheres.

The French sphere is a good example - it's totally dominated by Paris.

There is aRussian language sphere also that revolves around Moscow and which overspills the boundaries of Russia, into areas where they've historically imposed their language and culture.

The Spanish language sphere also exists, and Madrid and Mexico City duke it out for dominance with honourable mention to Buenos Aires maybe.

The Portuguese sphere as you can imagine is dominated by Lisbon and Rio/Sao Paulo depending on the circumstances, but it extends beyond those two countries to places like Angola in Africa.

That said, I think that the dominant anglosphere cities (NYC and London) exert a lot more influence in the other "spheres" than cities from the other spheres influence them.

Chinese people go bonkers for Harry Potter and people in Tokyo fill arenas for Garth Brooks. Americans or Brits don't typically do the same for cultural exports from any of the other spheres. You got 100,000+ out for Queen concerts in Brazil...

So I would probably pick either NYC or London for this one. Probably NYC first and London a very close second.
Okay, honestly? For a country that influences music to the extent that it does, to select "Garth Brooks" as a notable American musical export is just obnoxious. You could say "Aerosmith", or something, who were objectively much more popular in Japan. You can hardly find a single reference to Garth Brooks being popular in Japan on the Internet. Sorry, but what on earth? That sounded like deliberate understatement.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:18 AM

38 posts, read 38,197 times
Quote:
Well, I actually loved NYC’s plan idea for the olympics 2012. So many things have changed but I think it’s more something to do with the willingness of the city. I think NYC is too greedy and would have never provide those spaces for the general public instead NYC just keeps building ugly tall thin buildings for the billionaires.
https://youtu.be/2MquWONpfAI
You are really, obnoxiously negative about the US. Please leave.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strasse66 View Post
You are really, obnoxiously negative about the US. Please leave.
Virtually all of his posts are framed in an anti-US context.

No one should be shy about criticizing the US where valid, but when that is the entirety of one's personality and discourse, it is boring at best, and a disturbing window into someone's mentality at worst.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:15 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strasse66 View Post
Okay, honestly? For a country that influences music to the extent that it does, to select "Garth Brooks" as a notable American musical export is just obnoxious. You could say "Aerosmith", or something, who were objectively much more popular in Japan. You can hardly find a single reference to Garth Brooks being popular in Japan on the Internet. Sorry, but what on earth? That sounded like deliberate understatement.
Man, you need to take a deep breath. All of these posts from you, shooting at everything that moves.

I even said NYC won this thing but it's still not enough!

Garth Brooks did arena shows in Japan at one point. It's not something most people would expect so it actually proves the global ubiquity of U.S./Anglo-American culture.

Sheesh.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:18 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,499,914 times
I’d stick to the traditional five, if such a term could be used.
NYC
London
Paris
Tokyo
LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World