Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 01:13 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times

Advertisements

There is an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal entitled "Bosses Lose Their Patience With Staff Activists". While I agree that activism in the work place can be disruptive, what the employee does in their private lives is their own business.

Here is a quote from the WSJ that illustrates my point: "Numerous workers reported being fired from companies after writing contentious social --media posts about the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks in Israel or the war in Gaza."

If this is being written on company media, that's one thing, but when they express their opinions on social media and don't use the company name it's another. In a society where unemployment can result in homelessness, prohibiting an employee from expressing their opinions privately, violates invasion of privacy laws, and two provisions of the first amendment. An employee who had better "watch it" when expressing themselves privately becomes no more than a drone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 01:43 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
The bigger issue to me is the recent trend of businesses using their market position to support their beliefs. Google recently fired a number of employees over this because they did it on company time. Using the "We are a business" as the reason. Yet for years Google has been known for espousing a corporate position on many issues. It comes across as hypocritical to use "business" when it's the employees expressing their beliefs yet OK for the executives to use the company to support their beliefs.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Most companies have a "corporate culture" that may include a written code of conduct. While that may appear to be limited to the workplace. Most people would be smart enough to refrain from ranting about politics or religion while at work, even if they disagree with the corporate position. Traditionally this worked out fine, unless someone got arrested in a protest. Today with social media no one is safe from being discovered if they express a controversial opinion. I have read a few corporate responsibilities and they all list values of equity and inclusion, but the statements did not limit it to "in the office" or "while on the job." Therefore they are probably within their rights to discipline and even dismiss someone if they find contrary posts on social media. This is why I do not post anything on social media where my name is public that relates to religion or politics, as tempting as it may be sometimes.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:08 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most companies have a "corporate culture" that may include a written code of conduct. While that may appear to be limited to the workplace. Most people would be smart enough to refrain from ranting about politics or religion while at work, even if they disagree with the corporate position. Traditionally this worked out fine, unless someone got arrested in a protest. Today with social media no one is safe from being discovered if they express a controversial opinion. I have read a few corporate responsibilities and they all list values of equity and inclusion, but the statements did not limit it to "in the office" or "while on the job." Therefore they are probably within their rights to discipline and even dismiss someone if they find contrary posts on social media. This is why I do not post anything on social media where my name is public that relates to religion or politics, as tempting as it may be sometimes.

I'm retired. While I don't get outrageous, I do express my opinions on topics that others are frightened to post.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I'm retired. While I don't get outrageous, I do express my opinions on topics that others are frightened to post.
While I'm still working (for a few more months) but my problem is more with family. We have a mix of one card-carrying trumper, one other conservative, one very religious person, two gays, several atheists, and a few ultra-liberals. We all tend to avoid sensitive topics to keep the family peace.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:04 AM

9,397 posts, read 8,363,704 times
This is a very complicated issue. While companies should not be infringing upon everyone's first amendment rights, there can be a fine line as well. If an employee, for example, posted hate speech on his/her own time and on his/her own social media page, wouldn't that be grounds for termination? As an organization, I sure wouldn't want to be known as the company that turns a blind eye to hate speech if those sorts of posts became public<---and they ALWAYS do.

Also, what about threatening speech where someone might threaten to harm someone else. Lots of grey areas here.

I'm a big first amendment proponent; however, I tend to side with organizations who do not want their employees spreading the filth/lies/hate that seem so commonplace now either as that's going to affect your bottom line. Many firms have a written Code of Conduct that you must agree to as a condition of your hire (and annually) that specifically prohibits certain types of social media speech.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:15 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
This is a very complicated issue. While companies should not be infringing upon everyone's first amendment rights, there can be a fine line as well. If an employee, for example, posted hate speech on his/her own time and on his/her own social media page, wouldn't that be grounds for termination? As an organization, I sure wouldn't want to be known as the company that turns a blind eye to hate speech if those sorts of posts became public<---and they ALWAYS do.

Also, what about threatening speech where someone might threaten to harm someone else. Lots of grey areas here.

I'm a big first amendment proponent; however, I tend to side with organizations who do not want their employees spreading the filth/lies/hate that seem so commonplace now either as that's going to affect your bottom line. Many firms have a written Code of Conduct that you must agree to as a condition of your hire (and annually) that specifically prohibits certain types of social media speech.
Here's the thing -- can you define "hate" speech so that everyone agrees what it is? It quickly becomes "hate speech" is "any speech that someone disagrees with." That's why it's so difficult to have these important discussions, even here on CD.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:30 AM

9,397 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Here's the thing -- can you define "hate" speech so that everyone agrees what it is? It quickly becomes "hate speech" is "any speech that someone disagrees with." That's why it's so difficult to have these important discussions, even here on CD.
I think that's fairly simple to provide - putting someone or a group of people down based on their race, creed or sexual orientation or threatening harm to anyone. There are other grey areas for free speech for sure but I don't believe hate speech is one of them, that's usually pretty cut and dry.

This is really no different than if you were to play for a pro sports franchise. They'd cut you in a nanosecond if you posted something derogatory about someone's race as you're representing that franchise publicly.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:57 AM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The bigger issue to me is the recent trend of businesses using their market position to support their beliefs. Google recently fired a number of employees over this because they did it on company time. Using the "We are a business" as the reason. Yet for years Google has been known for espousing a corporate position on many issues. It comes across as hypocritical to use "business" when it's the employees expressing their beliefs yet OK for the executives to use the company to support their beliefs.

Google didn't fire the people because they protested on company time, Google fired 28 employees who protested their employer's policies at their employer's offices. They impeded the ability of their employer to function. These were not people who wrote letters to the editors expressing their opinion as a citizen, but rather they were people who exploited their employee status to damage, embarrass and harangue their employer.

"In a companywide email, Vice President for Global Security Chris Rackow said Google dismissed the employees after an investigation found they were involved in the protests at the tech company’s offices in New York and Sunnyvale, Calif.

Rackow said in the Wednesday email that the fired employees “took over office spaces, defaced our property and physically impeded the work of other Googlers,” violating company policies.

Google said it confirmed that all 28 had participated in the protests by using video footage."

https://www.wsj.com/tech/google-fire...ts_pos3&page=1

Don't know if WSJ has a paywall. Here is a non-paywall site.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ts/ar-AA1nt6st

Old 04-23-2024, 11:30 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Google didn't fire the people because they protested on company time, Google fired 28 employees who protested their employer's policies at their employer's offices. They impeded the ability of their employer to function. These were not people who wrote letters to the editors expressing their opinion as a citizen, but rather they were people who exploited their employee status to damage, embarrass and harangue their employer.

"In a companywide email, Vice President for Global Security Chris Rackow said Google dismissed the employees after an investigation found they were involved in the protests at the tech company’s offices in New York and Sunnyvale, Calif.

Rackow said in the Wednesday email that the fired employees “took over office spaces, defaced our property and physically impeded the work of other Googlers,” violating company policies.

Google said it confirmed that all 28 had participated in the protests by using video footage."

https://www.wsj.com/tech/google-fire...ts_pos3&page=1

Don't know if WSJ has a paywall. Here is a non-paywall site.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ts/ar-AA1nt6st
And all this explains what really happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment