Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 10:23 AM

7,939 posts, read 3,898,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Indeed it's anti-democratic to allow people to not speak openly.
I don't think that word means what you seem to think it means.

Quote:
I work, you pay my W2 wages, that's our relationship.
Most employers have codes of conduct that extend far beyond that. If you don't like that, you are free to find a different employer.

Quote:
Everything I do outside of work hours is my responsibility, and as a citizen I demand the right to speak even if it isn't "popular" in some circles.
You are most certainly free to do whatever you like, and your employer is free to terminate you if you violate their policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM

9,436 posts, read 8,415,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Actually, it is not gray (or grey). An employer gets to decide if the employee violated the policy.
I'll ignore your (condescending) remarks to reply that I was specifically responding to someone who was talking about what constitutes hate speech, nothing about what an employer deems to be hate speech. I'm not confused at all about first amendment rights but thanks for picking apart my post, word for word. Glad I am worth your time!

Old 04-26-2024, 04:49 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,620,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
There is an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal entitled "Bosses Lose Their Patience With Staff Activists". While I agree that activism in the work place can be disruptive, what the employee does in their private lives is their own business.

Here is a quote from the WSJ that illustrates my point: "Numerous workers reported being fired from companies after writing contentious social --media posts about the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks in Israel or the war in Gaza."

If this is being written on company media, that's one thing, but when they express their opinions on social media and don't use the company name it's another. In a society where unemployment can result in homelessness, prohibiting an employee from expressing their opinions privately, violates invasion of privacy laws, and two provisions of the first amendment. An employee who had better "watch it" when expressing themselves privately becomes no more than a drone.
I would say, as a rule of thumb, you don't have any "rights" against a corporate employer in the USA unless (A) you have an employment contract, (B) You are independently wealthy (At least a few years of living expenses in liquid cash, PLUS adequate retirement account balances), or (C) The matter pertains to a legally-protected matter or class such as age, race, or certain specific protected acts of whistleblowing.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:34 AM

163 posts, read 93,814 times
All of what being discussed on here is nothing new. An employer might suspect an employee is moonlighting or about to resign and looks at his Facebook. The employee was not doing anything of the kind, but may have had a bad day and posted something negative about the employer. The employee then gets fired. It happens every day.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:42 AM

It is even like this with union employees. At my company, the warehouse workers went on strike once, and had a picket line. They were not allowed to even pub one foot on company property while they were picketing and could not block the entrance or anything like that.

Old 04-29-2024, 02:26 PM

20,179 posts, read 9,078,459 times
some employees believe they are on equal footing with their employers. Hard lesson for many to learn that's not the case. The internet is not private it's public. People forget that I think.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:40 PM

22,365 posts, read 19,288,324 times
it is a condition of federal employment to not participate in certain activities yes even in a person's own private life.
yes, there have been people who come to work Monday morning and find out they no longer have a job.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:51 PM

22,365 posts, read 19,288,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Our Son just entered the work force, and is in a corp office environent.

I warend him that everything he says and does while on their property is likely being recorded by sound, video, and digitally through his computer.

I told him to always pretend his boss is standing behind him looking over his shoulder, and he'll be fine.

He also knows his social media accounts are likely being watched.
yes that is great advice, very practical and valuable.
i remember one job i started, and the first day my boss was showing me around the office, and said, "Every conversation that you have someone is listening. Just keep that in mind. and that includes even conversations you have in the bathroom. People are listening. So watch everything you say."

and that turned out to be literally true. the offices were situated in a way that conversations in the bathroom could be heard by people in the offices nearby.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:13 AM

12,879 posts, read 9,104,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes that is great advice, very practical and valuable.
i remember one job i started, and the first day my boss was showing me around the office, and said, "Every conversation that you have someone is listening. Just keep that in mind. and that includes even conversations you have in the bathroom. People are listening. So watch everything you say."

and that turned out to be literally true. the offices were situated in a way that conversations in the bathroom could be heard by people in the offices nearby.
One of the most important skills I learned as a supervisor is when to not hear things. If they were talking about problems or things that needed to be fixed, it was a good idea to listen to what they had to say and fix the problem. If they were just venting or complaining, I made sure not to hear and give them their space to do so.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:57 AM

I know that this has been discussed on other threads, but some states actually have laws that you cannot be fired for lawful activities outside of work that do not interfere with your work or harm your employer. I know California is one of them. I don't think laws like that are unreasonable. If a person posts hate speech on Facebook and it causes problems for the employer, than of course the employer can terminate the employee, as they should. Ditto if the person has a drinking problem, like gets drunk every night at home and then comes into work every day hungover and it affects his work. Things like protesting your employer's policies on company time and on company property, as the original poster alluded to, of course the person should be fired. But things like the employee who had a John Kerry bumper sticker on her car in 2004 and was fired, and that was in the news, things like that should be off limits. Or the story that was in the news about the lock company in Indiana that didn't allow employees to drink on personal time because they consider drinking a sin, should be off limits. Or the company years ago in Michigan, Weyco, that had a zero nicotine policy even on personal time, and if you test positive for nicotine, you are fired, should be off limits. If employers are worried about the healthcare costs, do what my company does and charge a surcharge on health insurance for tobacco users. That is reasonable. I'm sure I am going to open a can of worms here, but I believe that your employer should not have a right to dictate what you do on your time, as long as said activity does not interfere with your work performance or cause problems for your employer.

Last edited by MJoseph42286; 05-01-2024 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment